Cramps

What really matters

 

The light was bright on stage when NU´EST sat down on each of their chairs with their heads bowed. The music began and so did their performance. Ren felt a bit heavy but still relieved knowing that he had told the manager about his worries and that he actually managed to dance pretty well. Everything would be okay, he thought, and smiled a bit upon hearing the audience yell his and his band mates names.

The song ended and Ren sat down on his chair, his arms crossed as he was supposed to do. But the moment he wasn´t dancing anymore, his knew he had used up all of his remaining energy - and that something was completely wrong. His body didn´t feel like his body anymore because he could neither control it or feel it. Suddenly he was on the floor facing the bright lamps in the ceiling while his senseless body cramped and his breathing became harder. Baekho was the first by his side looking scared and at the same time as if he didn´t knew if he could touch him or not. The microphones weren´t shut off yet so the audience could clearly hear his words too:

"Ren? Ren hang on... what´s wrong? Minki look at me... where does it hurt? Minki!" Baekho´s eyes was pure confusion and desperation. His voice got nearly overshadowed by the others, who had joined Baekho only moments after.

"Is it the same thing you told the manager about? Ren say something...." JR´s voice sounded close too, and he knew it was Aron who hold his left hand.

Ren couldn´t speak although he really wanted to. It was like every single muscle in his body spasm at the same time and he was sure his face was turning blue from the lack of oxygen. He heard Minhyun call for help and the fans screaming. Someone must have shut their microphones off by now cause s voices didn´t echo anymore when they talked to him. Ren felt how he was lifted and helped down from the stage, carried by strong arms - Possibly their manager? Then everything went black.

 

The ambulance arrived shortly afterwards.

"I want to go with him" Baekho said. No one had left Ren´s side even once since he fell from the chair and started cramping. The maknaes body still trembled a bit but not as much as before. The breathing was still unnaturally forced and irregular.

"I want to go with him in the ambulance too" JR said his pale face making him look like a ghost. Aron looked at the both of them and then down at the youngest in the hands of the paramedics. He felt useless because he couldn´t do anything.

"I think everyone of us want to, but there isn´t space enough..." he said seriously and threw a look at Minhyun, who looked like he too was going to faint soon. Feeling an urge to protect the other boy, he placed a hand on his arm, trying to comfort him a bit, although he knew nothing properly really helped right now.

"Maybe we should give the paramedics space and follow after the ambulance in the car?" Aron then suggested not wanting to give in and neither did Baekho.

"But we could be by his side...!" Baekho yelled looking frustrated. The paramedics had carried Ren into the ambulance, and while one of them got to the front seat, the other turned to look at them.

"There is only space for one of you, and we need to hurry so decide now" she sounded kind and gentle but had a certain kind of authority in both voice and appearance. JR looked strictly at Baekho, his expression saying it all, but Baekho simply ignored it and went into the ambulance before no one could even complain about it. Aron gasped and a muscle in JR´s chin worked harder than usual.

"Let... let him go, JR. He really wants it" Minhyun said, having not spoken a word in a long time, not since he had called for help. The doors in the ambulance closed behind Baekho and left them to stand on the street.

"I wanted to follow him too. I care about him!" JR said actually looking furious.

"We all do" Minhyun looked into the leaders eyes and then turned to Aron like he wanted someone to agree with him. Aron just nodded and threw a long look after the car.

"... lets follow it then, like Aron suggested" Minhyun said and then pulled both of them with him, still looking pale but now acting instead of standing still as frozen to the ground.

 

 

Ren woke up finding himself lying in a unreal white room. The sun was rising outside the window and the stripes of light slowly crawled their way across the floor. If it hadn´t been for the pain in his chest and medical equipment over his head, Ren would properly have thought that this was heaven - or at least not anything real, maybe his own imagination. Slowly he sat up and looked around in the room. He was alone, but he could see that s had been there. Minhyun had forgotten his sunglasses on the table and Ren´s lost wallet had appeared out of nowhere, which meant that Aron had been there too.

"What....happened?" Ren thought slowly trying to leave the bed but he instantly felt dizzy. Slowly he remembered how he was carried from the stage and some small fragments of memory from the ambulance returned to him too.

"oh no...." he mumbled and laid down again looking at the ceiling. After what felt like hours a nursed looked in and checked up on him. She couldn´t tell him much - the doctors had examined him but found nothing, and when he asked her how long he was going to stay she said that no one knew it yet.

 

When the sun was on its highest familiar knocks on the door woke Ren from his thoughts and he instantly sat up again his eyes like glued to the door. Only seconds after the knocks the door was pushed up with such force that it hit the wall leaving a little mark on the white wall.

"Ren, you´re awake!" Baekho ran to him and jumped onto the bed hugging Ren like a long missed teddy bear. The other members followed him and closed the door carefully behind them to get some privacy.

"It's crazy, Ren, the fans are so worried. We´re really popular!" Baekho told loosening the tight hug a bit allowing Ren to breathe again.

"I- I´m sorry..." Ren said looking back at Baekho with pretty big eyes. How could that ever be something positive? Aron hold Minhyun´s hand and looked worried.

"Have you heard anything from the doctors?" he asked after some time getting Ren´s attention completely because of the serious tone in his voice. Did the leader know something that Ren didn´t?

"No the nurse couldn´t tell anything. Why? Do you know anything, then please tell me" Ren said, his voice sounding a bit more commanding than what his intention had been. Aron looked at JR now, his eyebrows raised a bit.

"You know something, that´s why you have been in such a weird mood since yesterday" he said. Minhyun looked hurt because JR hadn´t told him anything.

"I just thought it was because you were worried!" he got to his feet and faced the leader. Now Ren began to feel that the subject was changing in a way he didn´t wanted it to.

"Can you at least tell it now, it is my health it is about!" he raised his voice a bit immediately earning the others attention. JR looked nervous now and his gaze shifted from Baekho to Ren.
Ren could only immagine the intense look in Baekhos eyes now.

"Well.... let´s just say that the doctors don´t exactly predict you will get home in the nearest future..." JR began placing himself on the edge of the bed as heavy as if he carried all the burdens of the world.