Mistakes

What really matters

 

Ren looked at the mirror not completely satisfied with the reflection he saw. He fixed a lock of his hair only to get more irritated about another one, actually only wanting to borrow time before facing the others.
"If you keep doing that you´ll be like JR" a voice broke the silence making Ren jump in surprise. Baekho was standing in the door, relaxed with the shoulder on the door frame.
"You look beautiful" he continued playful making Ren blush a bit, but the pink clothe and the weak light hided the most.
"Stop it, I´m not in the mood for that" Ren answered turning his attention back at the mirror again as he tried to ignore Baekho. He removed his pink spiky hair band and ran his fingers through the blonde hair with a thoughtful neutral face. In the mirror he could see Baekho getting closer, but didn´t try to push him away.
"Are you still angry at yourself for making that mistake live?" Baekho asked and sneaked his arm around Ren´s small waist resting his head on his shoulder. They were still in their stage outfits just returned from the live performance on a music program that evening. Their dorm was one big mess because no one had had time to clean, and now they were too tired to do so.
"yes" Ren answered remembering how mad he had been at himself in the moment where he screwed up the choreography right in the beginning of the performance. It was the chairs fault, he thought. He was more used to chairs that wasn´t that light! After the mistake he had felt so dizzy and his chest had hurt so badly that it had made it hard to breath. He didn´t think much of it though . It was properly just an reaction to the fact that he knew he had just screwed up the entire performance.

"Come on, Ren. It´s not that serious. Everybody makes mistakes. It´s not the first time someone makes a mistake" Baekho looked at the maknae in the mirror in front of them, smiling brightly as always. Was it even possible for him to be serious for more than a couple of minutes, Ren often thought.

"I know, I just don´t like making mistakes myself" Ren looked back at his hyung through the mirror then turned to face him instead. He placed his hands on his shoulders keeping a distance between their bodies. Baekho didn´t mind but still kept hugging him like he would hug a cute teddy bear even trying not to remove his head from Ren´s shoulder.

"Hey, give me a big smile" Baekho begged looking exited at Ren who send him a dark expression instead.

"hyung...." he said, tired and frustrated because he feared that their manager would punish them because of his mistake. He really didn´t feel like practising dancing for hours right now. Baekho didn´t give in but just stared back as a puppy waiting for food or attention. Ren sighed and gave him a smile showing of his dimples for e few seconds.

Baekho yelled happily and hugged him closer before pulling him out of the bathroom and into the living room. The others looked up because of the noise having already occupied the couches and chairs, but Baekho didn´t mind. He sat down on Minhyuns legs placing Ren on his lap. Minhyun quickly pulled his legs to himself mumbling something not so sweet, but he was far too tired to do anything else about it. JR just looked at Baekho as if he was a monster.

"How do you still manage to have so much energy?" he asked while he slowly poking Aron´s stomach. Aron, who lay on the floor beside JR, pushed his fingers away closing his eyes again, apparently trying to sleep, but JR kept ruining it for him. Their manager broke the silence slamming with the door as he entered the house.

"Get up, we need to practise. You´re all  making far too many mistakes, especially you Ren" he looked strictly at Ren, who just bowed his head slowly nodding before throwing Baekho a what-did-I-say look. Baekho returned his expression with a little smile, but now even he looked a bit tired.

It was with a lot of sighs and dark gloomy expressions NU´EST left their dorm again to go to their training room that night. Ren felt guilty knowing that this was his fault, but didn´t dare to say sorry to his hyungs, because it wouldn´t help them right now. He even feared that it would make them remember even better why they were in this situation. JR looked at the clock letting out a deeper sigh as the numbers on the screen told him that it was nearly midnight by now, Minhyun sighed deeply and started the music again.

Ren felt his body growing more and more tired as they repeated their dance routine over and over again. His vision became blurry and he felt the strange pain in his chest again, but he tried not think about it and just focus on the routine, knowing fare too well that he made more and more stupid mistakes. Some place far away he heard the managers voice correcting them and telling them to pull themselves together, but soon the voice was too far away for him to hear. In the same moment Ren discovered that the music was gone as well and he felt his knees hitting something hard. He panicked as he suddenly couldn´t breathe, and the pain in his chest grew almost unbearable. He tried to pull himself out of the blurry fog that surrounded him, but in the end decided to give up, because it seemed impossible. Instead he allowed himself to drive away into the darkness of his mind, where even the pain couldn´t reach him.