A Kiss

Kiss of an Angel

 

25th APRIL 1990

 

 

The night has long fallen as the stars glisten like scattered gem stones in the darkness of the sky. Kris flew freely just above the clouds, with his broad silver wings beating sharply against the air, leaving glowing trails of celeste blue at its wake. Although bare-chested and wore nothing but a loose white slacks hanging from his hips down to his ankle, every corner of his body radiated warmth. Angels never feel cold.

                

Kris isn’t the type of angel that works directly on Earth. He prefers protecting it from above, in the safety of the clouds. And just like any other nights for thousands of years, he watched just beyond the clouds, and listened, to the sound of sleep, of war, of death, and of laughter. Humans had always been complex beings. But what Kris loath was the fact that they are turning more vicious than they were few hundreds of years ago. Endless wars, conflict, and increasing greed; those were the very reasons why Kris had stopped going down to Earth and chose to stay a great distance above the humans. Because they have forgotten the true meaning of love, as if it was a foreign language lost in translation.

                         

However, unlike any other nights, a certain noise dominated in his ears amongst all other noises coming from Earth: a sound of a baby crying. He didn’t understand. He couldn’t fathom why, out of all the other important sounds, a baby’s cry could be heard clearer. Kris didn’t have any more time to ponder as its increasing volume brought him closer to the ground than he had intended.

                 

It was coming from a two storey house, in a quiet neighbourhood where houses were distanced from each other just enough to be able build another house in between. He could locate the exact house where the cries were coming from even from afar. It is walled with dark red bricks to keep the house warm during snowy winters, have wide sliding windows to let the brilliance of the moon shine inside, and a startling sound of a baby crying.

                         

Kris flew closer, as the trees around rustles from his wings’ impact. He didn’t have to worry about being caught; mortals can’t see him. It almost felt strange when his feet landed on the white ledge hanging on the wall just beneath a wide sliding window on the second floor of the house. He hasn’t been to the ground for hundreds of years that he had almost forgotten how it felt beneath his feet. He looked through the window, and there, he can see a figure of a woman, in her late twenties, with a silky black hair tied back in a bun, and a flowing night dress in a shade of chartreuse that goes down just below her knees. In her arms was baby – whose crying hasn’t stopped – barely a week old, wailing as if asking for something more, something his mother couldn’t understand.

                             

“Hush baby, mother is here,” she said softly, weariness visible in her voice connoting that she hasn't had a good sleep lately.  Slowly, she placed the baby down to his wooden crib, which is positioned by the powder blue painted wall with various cartoon character stickers plastered across it. “Mother will be back,” she whispered ever so gently, caressing the baby’s tear stricken cheeks with her thumb affectionately, before disappearing behind the white wooden door that’s left slightly ajar.

                  

After hearing the mother’s footsteps downstairs, followed by noises of bottles opening and boiling water, Kris slowly slid the window open with prudence, and slipped inside the room. His wings furled and vanished in his back with no trace that it had existed in the first place. He walked to the crying baby, and stretched his arms down to cautiously lift the baby into his arms.

                                      

“Why are you crying little one?” he whispered with the same amount of tenderness in his voice as the mother did. He walked the baby to the window and let the moonlight shine upon his frail stature, as he swayed him back and forth gently while humming tunes he heard millions of mothers sing to their new born child.  

                                        

The baby gradually stopped crying and nuzzled closer to the warmth of his chest. He clasped Kris’ index finger in his tiny hands and smiled – not at Kris, because Angels like him can’t be seen by humans –. However, Angels can choose if they want a human to feel their presence or have direct contact with them. And in this situation, Kris has obviously made his presence known to the 5-day-old baby in his arms.

                               

 Kris looked into the light brown eyes; it emits peace and tranquillity that he hasn’t seen in humanity for centuries. It brings hope to Kris that humans can still save themselves from this darkening world they’re creating.

                                

He smiles at the baby, “Sleep well,” he whispered and as if on cue, the baby slowly closed his eyes into slumber. Kris lowered his head and pressed his lips lightly on the baby’s forehead, “Good night.”

                           

He placed the baby back to its crib, and slipped out of the window just in time before the mother came back. Her face showed surprise and delight to see her baby finally asleep. She placed the new bottle of milk on the table by the door and walked close to the crib.

                        

“Goodnight, Luhan.” She smiled lovingly at her son. Kris watched closely until she left the room to have a rest herself.

                      

Luhan.

                        

Kris took a last look at Luhan before unfurling his wings and flying back up to the clouds, where he should have been.

                           

            What he doesn’t know is that that small and simple encounter is about to change his destiny forever. All because of a simple yet torturous kiss of an angel

                                                       



 

______________________________
 
 
Word count: 965

 

 

I know it's short, it's more like an introductory on what happened. 

If anyone's interested in reading my other stories:

Before The Dawn

Secrets

Leave comments!<3

Thankyou!<3

 

|| Teardrops ||