First Shot

Watching Over You

 

It was already 1 o'clock in the morning. They were all in the dance practice room or commonly known as the 'cloud room' of SM Entertainment by many people. Six good looking boys were facing the huge mirror and dancing to an upbeat song. The large number did not prevent them from being synchronized and they hit the moves sharp, hard yet smooth at the same time.

 

Every every every day wo chuang zhao de History~

 

The song ended. Turning their backs, they posed coolly for a few seconds.

 

"AH! I'M SO TIRED!" A tall young boy with a black hair cried out loudly. He purposely dropped his body to the floor. He did not care about how dirty was the floor. His tiredness overtook everything. He rolled onto his back with heavy breaths.

 

"Yah! Huang Zitao! Do you know how dirty that is?" A shorter boy pointed at the boy earlier. Sweats were trickling down his round face. He walked towards the young boy. He grabbed both of the boy's arms and tried to pull him up. "Get up, you Kungfu Panda!"

 

Tao refused to get up. "Aww, Xiumin ge. Just let me be. I am too tired to get up now," the maknae reasoned with a painful look on his face. They had been practicing nonstop for six hours only for two songs and it was painfully exhausting.

 

Xiumin softened at the younger boy's expression. Tao might look all fierce to some people but he knew that Tao was the most fragile in their team. He let his arms go and sighed. "Well, don't blame me if you got skin infection later!" He gave him a warning and lifted his face only to see his teammate from the same country. His lips cracked into a smile. "Hey, Chen, want to grab some fast food nearby?"

 

Chen smiled back at him. They were the two Korean members of their group. Chen was practically good in Chinese and he could make conversation easily with the other members but Xiumin was still learning very hard. Because of that, they always look out for each other. "Sure, hyung. But the last one to get to the lobby pays!" He shouted loudly and started running towards the door.

 

Xiumin's eyes went round. "Wh-What?!" His mind picked up the sentence. "YAH! KIM JONGDAE! COME BACK HERE! YOU CHEATER! I AM NOT PAYING! YAH! WAIT! “He pointed to the door and started running after him.

 

Tao chuckled because of the two. "They always become like that when it comes to food. Ah, I am so thirsty now," he touched his throat, still lying on his back. Tao glanced around to see any available water. His eyes rounded with hope when he saw a bottle of mineral water beside someone. "Lay ge! Lay ge!" He called for the older boy.

 

The older boy was staring into space with his mouth slightly opened. His eyes did not even blink. He was only standing there, all stoned. The only part of his body that was moving was his chest as he inhaled his oxygen.

 

Tao slightly rolled his eyes. "Oh boy, he's in his own world again," he mumbled. Lay was one good looking lad but he could be such an alien at times. "LAY GE!"

 

Lay blinked once, twice and then lifted his eyes to meet Tao's. "Did you call for me, Tao?" He asked innocently. His voice was gentle and soothing.

 

Tao palmed his face. "How is this person the same charismatic person in our music videos?" He mumbled again. He uncovered his face and smiled at his hyung. "Yes, I did. Can you pass the bottle to me, ge?" He pointed at the bottle direction.

 

Lay turned his head to the direction of the bottle. He tilted his head to a side and blinked once before his hand reached for the bottle. The bottle was half full. He looked back at Tao. "This one?"

 

"Yes, that one," Tao endured Lay's 4D-ness. The lead dancer of their group could be so charismatic onstage but offstage, he was only a sweet weird Chinese boy. "Can you pass it to me?"

 

Lay's hand tightened around the bottle. "Yes, I can pass it to you. But with one condition," he paused. He smiled sweetly that made the hair on Tao's neck stood. "Show me your aegyo."

 

Tao sat up immediately after hearing the condition. "WHAT?!" Tao dropped his jaw at his ridiculous words.

 

Lay smiled again. "You heard me. Aegyo, maknae, aegyo." He wagged the bottle to Tao's direction.

 

Tao gulped down his saliva. His throat felt so dried and he would barely do anything to get his hand on the mineral water. "Ugh, whatever," he said under his breath. Slowly, he brought both of his hand in front of his face and made a small movement. "Bbuing bbuing…" he uttered embarrassedly.

 

Lay's eyes went so wide and he was smiling so happily. He took quick steps towards Tao and hugged him tightly. "That was so cute, Zitao!"

 

Tao turned so red at the comment and he could hardly breathe because Lay was hugging him so tight. "Ge- I- can't- breathe-" Tao said between his breaths.

 

Lay let the taller boy go. "You are so cute, Zitao! Here you go." He handed the bottle. Lay was really affectionate towards the youngest member of their group. He knew Tao since the trainee days and he saw how other Korean trainees bullied him because rumours of Tao debuting so soon despite of his short training period. Since then, Lay swore to himself that he would take a good care of Tao.

 

Tao coughed a few times and took the mineral water from Lay, opened the lid and gulped all the remaining liquid in the bottle. He let out a satisfied sigh. "Lay ge, please stop crushing the breaths out of me. I would really die if you keep doing that," Tao requested.

 

Lay did not say anything. He just smiled at the younger boy. "I can't promise you that, Tao. But I'll try." He said sincerely and ruffled Tao's black hair.

 

Across the room, a very tall good looking boy who was sitting on the floor saw all of the incidents. His cold face softened at them and his lips tugged into a thin smile. After staying together in their dorm for a year, he was used to the members' weird behaviours. They could be so loud and ridiculous but to be honest, he loved it. He lowered his eyes to the floor. Drops of sweat soaked the floor. He blinked a few times. Those were his sweats that proved how hard he trained until today. Next, he lifted his face only to be surprised by the view of a boy with honey colour hair who was only about two meters from him. Luhan, he thought.

 

Luhan had his back against the wall with his left leg propped up. All sweaty and tired. His breathing had not calmed down as his chest moved up and down rapidly. He felt unusually tired today. He could feel that all the blood rushing to his head that he could instantly faint because of the pressure. He used the back of his right hand to wipe the sweats that were hanging on his jaw. Even the sweats felt hot as they touched his white skin. Instinctively, he shut his eyes tightly when a sudden dizziness attacked him. He clenched his fist tightly as if he was going to punch the dizziness away. He raised his eyebrows when he felt a foreign warmness on his skin. He opened his eyes to see the owner of the warmness and his eyes lit a little to see the person. "Kris," he managed to say before he closed his eyes again and had his head against the wall.

 

Kris quickly took his hand off Luhan's skin as blood rushed to his ears. Naturally, he leaned against the wall beside the other boy. He blinked nervously for multiple times before he decided to take a glance at the older boy. He swallowed the water inside his mouth as he turned to look at Luhan. And as always, his eyes dilated at the view. His heart raced. Affectionately, his eyes grazed over the features of the older boy. Luhan had his eyes closed but that did not hide the beauty of his eyelashes. They were long and tender-looking. His nose was small and perfectly fit the small face of his. His lips were thin yet plump with pink as their colour. Everything about the older boy was beautiful in the eyes of Kris. In his eyes, Luhan was perfect. Turning his face to the front again, he cleared his throat. "You okay?"

 

The cold deep voice made Luhan opened his eyes again. He took a glance at the younger boy. He breathed in slowly this time as his eyes landed on Kris' face. Kris was the leader of their group. A tall man with one hundred and eighty-seven centimeters as his height. His face features were sharp and ridiculously attractive. His eyes were cold and Luhan knew how intense Kris’ stare was if he did so. Luhan always had 'If look could kill' phrase in his mind whenever he saw Kris staring at something or someone. But deep inside he knew, Kris had a warm heart. A kind heart. A big heart. The day when Kris volunteered to take the heavy and hard responsibility as their leader, Luhan knew it. He knew that Kris was a great person. He turned his face to the front. "Yeah. Just," he paused and breathed in. "Tired."

 

"Is that so?" Kris replied with a cold tone. He hated this kind of conversations especially when it was between him and Luhan. He could talk comfortably with the other members but with Luhan, the conversation would die in just three sentences. He hated it because he wanted to talk more to the older boy. He wanted to hear his voice more. Of course, he had heard of Luhan's angelic voice so many times in their songs but he wanted to hear his talking voice more. Luhan's voice was ridiculously pleasant to his ears. It was like a lullaby but he would never get tired or sleepy from it. He wanted more instead. Clenching his fist, he decided to take the initiative this time. That's it. No more three sentences, his head said. "But you don't look too good. Are you sure you're okay?"

 

Luhan noticed Kris' effort to make conversation with him. Fluttered, he bit his lower lip as his lips were trying to form a wide smile. He knew that Kris disliked to be made fun of, so Luhan held his smile. But Kris was right. Even though he could not see himself right now and boy, he did not want to see himself too, he knew that he looked terrible. He felt terrible with the unusual tiredness. He was never too tired before but now, he felt like crap. He felt like ripping his hair because of this unusual heat inside his body. He had forgotten the last time he had the same terrible feeling. So, he did not know what was actually wrong with him. But for some reasons, he was happy inside. It might be because Kris noticed it and showed that he cared for him. Or maybe because Kris tried to talk to him. Either way, it was still about Kris. "Hmm…" Luhan hummed. "Yeah. Maybe I'm a bit too tired," he finished his words.

 

Kris would not lie to himself. He knew that his heart just squealed like a real girl when Luhan hummed just now. His ears turned redder than before and he wanted to hide them with his hands but that would be too obvious. He tried to stay calm and breathed slowly. After clenching his fist into a ball a few times, his right hand slowly reached for Luhan's left knee. "Don't push yourself too hard, Luhan," he said confidently. But inside, only God would know how much his heart quivered when he touched the older boy's knee that he even questioned himself where did he find such courage to touch this delicate man.

 

Luhan felt his heart warmed even more at the words that escaped from the leader's mouth. Was it even possible to say that his heart smile? Kris was younger than him yet the leader always knew the right thing to say every time. Luhan felt envious towards Kris yet he admired him so much, too. No wonder you are the leader, a voice echoed in Luhan's mind. Without hesitation, Luhan brought his left hand and put it on top of Kris' hand. He could feel the long delicate fingers of the younger boys against his. Luhan gave Kris' hand a meaningful squeeze. "I will be just fine," he paused. "Thank you, duizhang."

 

Instinctively, both of them turned to face each other. Kris' cold eyes met Luhan's soft eyes and their gazes were locked together. Kris knew that it was wrong to have this strong urge to cup the older boy's face but he could not help it. Luhan looked helpless despite being beautifully attractive. His jaw tightened as his body threatening to pull the older boy into his embrace. This is wrong, he repeated in his head. On the other hand, Luhan saw his reflection in Kris' eyes. Or he thought he saw it. Luhan shook the thought of and assumed that he was just too tired that he started seeing things. But even if it was his delusional thought, it made him all cozy inside. Let's pretend it's real just for this time, his mind jokingly thought.

 

Suddenly, the door of the practice room was widely opened. Still holding the doorknob, a man in his late twenty, in black T-shirt and blue jeans entered the practice room. "That's enough of practice today, guys," he said while clapping his hands a few times.

 

Kris and Luhan heavy-heartedly pulled out from each other's gaze. They had been doing that only for a minute but it seemed forever.

 

The man's eyes scanned the room. Sighing, he had his hand on his hips now. "Please don't tell me those two gluttons went outside to eat again."

 

Tao shrugged his shoulders. "You have the answer, hyungnim."

 

"So much for diet, steamed bun," he said jokingly while shaking his head.

 

Tao and Lay could not help but to chuckle at their manager's words. 'Steamed bun' was Xiumin given nickname among the members because of his round face. It really suited him, though. Chubby and cute.

 

"Get them back now. We're leaving in ten. Got it?" The manager simply said.

 

"Yes, hyungnim!" The four answered in unison. The manager walked back and exited the door, leaving the four in the practice room.

 

Suddenly, Lay wrapped his left arm around Tao's neck. "Let's go and find those two, shall we?" He chirped happily. He started to drag the taller boy to the door.

 

"Yah! Lay ge! GE!" Tao struggled. "You are choking me again! GE!" Tao tried to push away Lay's arm but Lay's arm did not even move. Tao sighed heavily and dropped his hands to his side. "Okay. Okay. Let's find the 'dumpling' and 'orange' together," Tao surrendered. With that, the two exited the practice room.

 

There was a sudden silence in the room after the two left. The two boys left in the room were as silent as the dark. But Kris loved it that way. He and Luhan would always be the last people left in the practice room. Always. Kris loved the silence surrounding him when he was left alone with Luhan. It was a time of the absence of music. But Kris still had his own music. The sound of Luhan's breaths. Maybe it was weird for some people but Kris loved to listen to Luhan when he breathed. Was it possible to say how sweet Luhan's breaths were to him? He did not know. Kris just loved that.

 

With eyes still closed, Luhan slowly stood up from his sitting position. His eyebrows furrowed as the dizziness attacked him again. He bit his lower lip, tried to make that dizziness go. Please, just a bit longer, he thought. He felt the same foreign warmness wrapped around him again that made him opened his doe eyes. "Kris…" he breathed.

 

Kris had his arm firmly around Luhan's shoulder. He tried his best to control the beating of his heart, hoping the older boy would not hear how loud it was thumping inside. He could keep his cool face but not his heart. His heart would never lie. That pace of his heartbeat only beat like that for a special someone, Kris knew. "Let's go home," he simply said without looking at Luhan.

 

This time Luhan could not help himself from forming a smile. When was the last time he come back to his home in China? He had always missed his home, his parents, his family. But for now, home was everywhere with his group members. As long as he and the other members were together, it would always be home. A warm cozy home for his heart. Luhan nodded once. "Yeah, let's go home."

 

The members were fast asleep as soon as the van started to move. Tao and Lay were seating at the first row of the seats. Lay had his right earphone on and his head on Tao's right shoulder. The other piece of Lay's earphone was plugged in Tao's left ear with Tao's head resting on the crown of Lay's head. Chen and Xiumin sat at the second rows. Chen was asleep with a calm expression on his face. It was as if he was thinking with his eyes closed instead of sleeping. It was one of his charms. Oppositely, Xiumin was sleeping with his mouth widely opened. His hand was still holding the packets of food tightly. Mumbles of 'ddukboki' escaped from his mouth time to time.

 

Kris took the advantage of the dark to smile widely after seeing the tired members. He just loved it when it came to the journey to their dorm, their home. Purposely, he would always sit at the last row of the passenger seats. He loved to observe the members one by one. Another reason why he always chose the last row of seats was because of the person beside him now. Kris glanced at Luhan who was seating to his left. Luhan had his eyes closed with his head kept on bobbing to the front. After hesitating awhile, Kris' hand slowly reached for Luhan's head and gently brought it to lean on his left shoulder. He quickly took his hand off Luhan's head as he felt Luhan stirred in his sleep. To his relief, Luhan did not wake up. He only snuggled against Kris' shoulder and continued to sleep. Kris rubbed his neck awkwardly and his eyes wandered inside the van. Just one look, his mind persuaded him. Gulping the water inside his mouth, he brought his eyes to met Luhan's face. An affectionate smile crept onto Kris' face as soon as his eyes settled on the older boy's face. He could never understand how someone could look so beautiful even in their sleep. Sleep well, his heart whispered, hoping it would reach Luhan's heart. Kris turned his head and looked out of the window. His lips were tugged into another smile again. Let's stay like this for awhile, his mind suggested. With that thought, Kris too was drifted to his own dreamland.

 


 

This is the first shot.

Okay, you all can shoot me now.

I don't mind.