early era in kpop

academia: to know more about kpop

BIGBANG, Super Junior, TVXQ, JYJ, SNSD, some say they are the new leaders of KPOP. Most KPOP fans knew that, but do all KPOP fans knew the early era of KPOP? The years where KPOP really was popularized? Now, now, let me help you.

1990's is the turning point of KPOP.

Why?

In 1992, Seo Taiji and Boys brought a true turning point in KPOP.

The trio - consisting of Seo Taiji, Yang Hyunseok (YG) and Lee Juno -  debuted in MBC with their song I Know. It became really popular that according to MTV Iggy, "KPOP will never be the same again."  The lyrics of their songs dealt with the issues/problems in Korea which other entertainers of the era failed to do.

Their footsteps were followed by a wave of successful hip hop and R&B artists like Jinusean, Deux, 1TYM and Drunken Tiger.

In 1995 Korean entrepreneur Lee Soo-man founded South Korea's largest talent agency and record label, SM Entertainment. By the late 1990s, YG Entertainment, DSP Entertainment, JYP Entertainment, and FNC Music had burst onto the scene as well and were producing talent as quickly as the public could consume it.

The great success of Seo Taiji & Boys brought a whole new audience to KPOP: teenagers, which led to the emergence of the so-called idol groups/bands.

H.O.T. is considered as the first K-pop idol boy band, they debuted in 1995. They were followed by bands like Sechs Kies (1997), S.E.S. (1997), NRG (1997), Fin.K.L (1998), Taesaja, Shinhwa (1998) and g.o.d. (1999)

The Korean entertainers were prompted to look for new markets; hence the expansion of KPOP.

1990s were also a successful period for underground music clubs and punk rock bands.

Towards the turn of 21st Century, the rise of Hallyu wave started.

 

Now, now, let us help our dear friend to figure out the Best Vocals.