Time is Ticking

Timeless Connection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Chapter 13: Time is Ticking ▬

 

Even though he has been at Woollim for a couple of months now, Hoya hasn’t really had the time or the need to venture out to the other areas of the school. Hence the next weekend, he wandered aimlessly around campus to satisfy his curiosity.

“Wow, they have a pool?” He placed a hand on the cross-hatched fence as he scanned the area.

Hoya was amazed that even if the school looked jaded in almost every way, the campus facilities were extensively up to date and clean. Although he already made note of that from the very first time he walked in, being consciously aware of his surroundings from time to time still had him in awe.

He looked to his right and down a small hill below overlooked what seemed to be a field not far from where he stood. As he walked closer, he noticed the rusty chain that swayed slightly with the breeze. A placard was clamped on it with a warning sign to be careful and to not cross that chained line.

“It looks fine but why is it closed?” He scanned the vicinity and noticed that there were a few areas with patchy grass and traces of sand. There were also pieces of rubble lying around and at the center revealed a broken flat stoned flooring with more traces of rubble and what seemed to be remnants of a wall. “Okay, so maybe it needs some cleaning but it still looks fine to me.”

Wanting to explore more, he looked around for any signs of life. When the coast was clear, he lifted up the heavy chain that blocked his path and went under it.

“Lee Howon.”

At the sound of the voice, Hoya stopped midway before he could fully get himself to the other side. With just a slight turn of his head, he looked behind him in surprise.

Since when was he standing there?

The person who stopped him walked closer and rhythmically twirled a pen behind him. “Strange. The majority of the students are afraid to cross that path but somehow you are not.”

Hoya let go of the chain and let it dangle behind him. “Principal Tablo.”

“I believe Sunggyu told you that this and all the areas with a restricted sign are off limits to students.”

“This patch of land?” He nodded to the field behind him. “Seems harmless to me.”

Pondering on the young man's reply, he stopped twirling his pen behind him. The principal’s eyes then glistened for a mere second as his lips slightly curved upwards. “I see that you are drawn to this place.”

“What?”

Resuming his pen twirling habit and walk, the man’s features then softened back to his usual deadpan expression. “Not everything is as they seem, Lee Howon. Now,” he stopped a few meters away and directly eyed the man in front of him, “is there something that you wish to tell me?”

The whispering winds grazed both men’s faces with a cold whisper, making the branches of the trees bend further. It only lasted for a few seconds but someone’s aura changed that instant while the other carefully noted the ambiance. Hoya’s once rebellious face reversed to a confronting gaze at the man before him and as quick as it came, the winds died down and went back to what it once was.

With a smug look, Hoya darted his eyes at the tall figure, “I don’t know what you mean, Principal.”

Without changing his expression or blinking even once, the principal replied in a dry tone, “If that is what you wish, then so be it. I gave you a chance to repent but I guess we will have to meet again and might I add, for the final time.”

“Is that a threat?” Hoya countered when the principal started to walk back to the building.

The principal stopped walking and stood straight but still continued to twirl his pen. His only reply was a quick side glance back and from there he went on his way to his office.

Hoya took the phone out of his pocket and smirked while he fiddled with the device for a second before glancing to where the principal disappeared.

“I’ll take that challenge.” At that moment, the phone rang and when he picked up, he was greeted by an energetic squealing voice.

“Howon! I just learned today that we can finally see each other in three days!”

Surprised by the announcement, Hoya’s smile couldn’t be more obvious, “Really? Then I look forward to finally putting a face with this voice.” He paused for a moment and faced the ruins below him before continuing, “Three days, huh? Is there something special happening as to why the date is set three days from now?”

The other line went silent before a low chuckle was heard, “It’s the day when those who are guarding me are a tad bit vulnerable.”

 

══════

 

Later that afternoon, Sunggyu headed towards the main building with his backpack strapped to one shoulder, walking with both his hands in his pockets as usual. He opened the door to the principal’s office to which the secretary looked up at him as a reflex.

“Kim Sunggyu.” She fixed her thick-rimmed glasses, lying in wait for what she could assist him with.

“I’m here to see the princip

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter