Investigation

Timeless Connection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Chapter 10: Investigation ▬

 

[Flashback to four days ago]

Just as he reached the rooftop, Hoya felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Once he comfortably sat down behind the shed, he took out the phone and noticed that Hyerin was calling him.

“Wow, this is a surprise,” he said once he picked up the call. “This is the first time that you called.”

“You always call around the same time on the same days so I thought why not reverse the roles for once, you know?” He heard her giggle on the other end. “Unless I’m bothering you or you’re doing something right now and you’d rather just call whenever you’re available.”

“No, this is fine. I was about to call you anyway like you’ve predicted,” he snickered. When she didn’t answer, his expression changed to worry. “Hyerin? Is everything all right?”

“S-Sorry. I-I was just thinking of something.”

“Are you crying?”

“N-Not at all! I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You don’t need to lie, you know. I’m here to listen if you want to talk about it.” She paused for a moment and Hoya could hear her sniffling getting louder until she broke into a soft sob. “Let it all out.” After a few minutes of trying to console her with his words, he heard Hyerin clear .

“Can I tell you a story, oppa?” Her voice was still shaky yet her words came out clear.

Hoya’s eyes softened. “Of course.”

After she took a deep breath, she started to tell her tale. “In a few days will be my parents’ death anniversary after they were murdered a year ago. Since I’m being watched by a few people, I can’t get out from their sight to buy offerings for my parents. I usually burn them things that they like in the hope that they would be able to get them in heaven but I guess I can’t fulfill that this year. So for the past few days, I’ve been crying myself to sleep and praying to them to forgive me for missing this year’s offering.”

“Let me help you then.”

“W-What?”

“Tell me what I need to do and I’ll make sure to give them their offering this year on your behalf. That’s what friends are for, right?”

Hyerin’s voice lit up at his suggestion. “You’ll really do that for me?”

“Of course. Just say the word.”

“Thank you so much!”

Hoya smiled to himself when he heard Hyerin’s voice come to life again. Although he wasn’t sure that he’d be able to get everything that she needs, he just couldn’t stand the idea that she was feeling down and wanted to help her as best as he can. Also, knowing that they were having a field trip in a few days, at least he would be able to buy the few things that weren’t seen at Woollim’s grounds if needed be once he goes outside the campus.

[End of flashback]

 

“Do you remember what he bought?” Sunggyu looked at the two whose eyes were still glued to the flames outside.

“From what I remember, he only bought two things. One was a mirror and the other was–”

“Let me guess, a watch or something that can tell the time?”

Dongwoo turned around to face Sunggyu with a confused look but he nodded to what he said. “How did you know?”

Out of the blue, Woohyun yanked Dongwoo’s arm down and they both crouched on the ground. Dongwoo, however, lost his balance from the sudden action and used his hand to support himself before his body rocked further in a different angle.

“Hey! What was that for?!”

Woohyun could feel his heart pump in a crazy manner inside his chest from what he just saw. His face turned pale and his hands grew cold. He didn’t dare to look at either of the men’s eyes so instead, his gaze was fixated on a certain spot on the floor and whatever was in front of him. “The moment you turned around, he also turned around and faced our direction. That is definitely not normal.”

“Hyung, outside the window! Hoya is–”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter