one.

Love, Jia-eun

 

 

Jade,

It is so good to hear from you!! The last time was three months ago – I was getting a bit worried ㅋㅋ. Are things so bad with your father that you have to move to Seoul? It seems a bit extreme… but knowing it’s you, you have already made your mind, or else you wouldn’t have told me. Anyways, this is great, no? Maybe, we can finally meet ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Attached to the letter is the address of the place where you will live. Be there by 5:00pm on the day of your arrival. I didn’t rent a place for you to respect your privacy, but I arranged an estate agent to meet you. He is my good friend, so he will provide the best service.

Anyways, hope you will have a safe flight and have fun in Seoul!!

Yours only,
Dan

 

 

I looked up from the letter my long-time pen pal, Dan, sent me and blinked my eyes in awe. In front of me stood a magnificent apartment complex – it looked modern and new with steel walls, floor-length windows and balconies framed with glass. There was also a bridge that connected it to the shopping mall across the street. The sidewalk lined with small cafes and boutiques, but the feigned suburban atmosphere cannot mask the hustle bustle of the international city – endless stream of traffic and clear scent of exhaust filled my senses as I walked towards my new home.

 

“Miss?” a young man walked towards me and bowed, “Are you Jade?”

 

Jade? Right, I thought, Dan doesn’t know my real name.

 

“Yes, are you the estate agent – Dan’s friend?” I asked in fluent Korean.

 

The man seemed shocked and commented amicably, “I didn’t expect you to speak so fluently, Do- I mean –Dan, excuse my English, mentioned you came from the United States.”

 

“I took lessons at school.”

 

“Oh, I see.” He waved his agent pass to the security guard, who nodded in recognition. “Shall we check out some of the flats then?”

 

The rent was really cheap considering how spacious apartment is. It has two bedrooms, two private washrooms, a kitchen, a study and a living room – a place suitable for a family of three or four. I had liked its clean scent upon entering and the interior design was modest, but tasteful. It was more than I had expected and I made a mental note to thank Dan in my next letter.

 

I spent the next few days settling in and touring around Seoul. I had no plans and no one to turn to, but I haven’t felt this light-weighted in a while and so, I enjoyed the uneasiness that accompanied my unknown future. I had meant to ignore all my problems for another week, shopping to my hearts content in Myeongdong, before a delivery interrupted my plans. It was a package from my father. I had meant to leave it in a corner to collect dust, but my curiosity got the better of me. I grudgingly went to open it.

 

“What the hell? Is he bribing me?”

 

The box contained all of my American guilty pleasures – Teen Vogue, Seventeen, several new items from Sephora, another few items from my favorite thrift store, Goodwill, and loads and loads of sweets.

 

There was another envelope, which contained a letter and a lot of cash. I expected some message from my father, but it was a job interview notice for the entertainment company, SM Entertainment. The job itself seemed interesting, as it was a position for a manager’s assistant for one of the artist groups. I qualify for the requirements – proficiency in Korean and English and a high school diploma. The pay is generous as well. I am to report to them the following day at 9:00am to have my interview.

 

Tempted, but reluctant to fall into another of his little tricks, I called the devil.

 

“Appa, what is the meaning of this?”

 

“Ahh…so I see you’ve received the package. Like the sweets?” His voice came on the other end. He sounded content. Ugh, I thought, I hate it when he sounds content.

 

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not five – you can’t bribe me. What is this job thing with SM?”

 

“Well, I’ve discussed with your mom – she is not any less mad at you by the way - and she seems to agree that you should gain some independence. We don’t want you getting involved in any dangerous business or get tricked or hurt while finding a job, so I made a few phone calls to gain you a job opportunity. It is a respectable job and we have high hopes for you, so darling, do well, so we don’t lose face.”

 

“How is this any different than you sending me off to UCLA? You are STILL arranging things for me.” I tried to speak calmly, but I felt myself gradually flushing with anger.

 

“I’ve merely secured you a job opportunity. You still have to do your interview.”

 

I paused to think about it. I asked, skeptical, “Are you not trying to control me?”

 

“Of course not, dear”

 

“Is this not a trick?”

 

I heard him sigh. “My dear, dear Jia-eun, who do you think I am?”

 

The freaking devil,I mouthed.

 

“Fine, I’ll do it. I don’t want to use your cash anyway, so I guess it’ll be good that I am making some money myself.”

 

“Good.” He seemed satisfied.

 

After hanging up, I set my alarm clock to 8:00am and lay on my bed, feeling like I’ve finally stepped on solid ground again. I am no longer a wondering soul – I have a job now, a purpose. I thought about what working with SM Entertainment would be like, starting to feel excited about my possible future interactions with celebrities like Girl’s Generation, Super Junior and Shinee. Who would I be working for anyway? Would I do a terrible job? Would I make any friends?

 

With these thoughts in my head, I slowly drifted off to sleep, unknown to the many things I would put myself through when I walked through those huge, imposing SME doors.