Chapter 2

How Can I?

After getting her phone call, I ran out and stop a taxi, then went to the hospital she mentioned to me. Traffic jam everywhere made me upset. Luckily, I arrived at the hosipital at quarter to 8 because the taxi driver violate the rules. Well, actually I asked the driver to violate.

I ran and ask to the nurse where is Park Hyun Ji’s room. She told me that the room is on 5th floor, number 505. I ran to the lift, pressed the 5 button. When the lift’s door open at 5th floor, I ran to room 505. I opened the door and I found Hyun Ji, lying on the bed. I came to her. She looked so weak. I hugged her and she hugged me back. I was crying. She stared at me.

“W-why are you crying? Please… d-don’t cry. I love you. Goodbye, Tao. I-I’ll always love you even if we can’t be together anymore,”her voices really weak and low, like when she was talking on the phone call.

“Don’t say that kind of joke,” then I kissed her lips. She replied my kiss but she suddenly stopped. I looked at her. Why she’s just quite now? I thought she was joking. I thought she pretended to sleep.

 “Hyun Ji?” I patted her right cheek but she’s just quite.

“Hyun Ji-ah. Wake up! I know that you’re only kidding! This is not funny!” I shaked her body. But still, she didn’t react. I quickly checked if she’s still breathing or not and….. yes. She’s not breathing anymore. Her heart wasn’t beating too. Panicked, I pressed the button near her infusion to call the nurse. I pressed it more than once. Finally the nurse came with a doctor. The doctor then quickly checked her and tried to revive her using the defibrillator paddles but it’s just the same. She didn’t react.

“I’m so sorry, sir,” said the doctor. “She’s not here anymore. She’s gone. I’ll manage the documentary now. Excuse me,” the doctor continued.

“Wait, doc,” then the doctor stopped. “What’s happening to her exactly?”

“She’s got the kidney failure and she didn’t got the donor for the operation until now,” said the doctor.

“I see. Thank you, doc,” the doctor then nodded his head and get out from the room.

                I looked at her again. Her heart wasn’t beating anymore. She wasn’t breathing anymore. She’s gone. She’ll never comeback again. I realized why she said she want to meet me before 8 o’clock. Because she will leave me at that time. I can’t see her hazel brown eyes anymore. I can’t rub her straight brown hair anymore. I can’t feel her lip, her skin, her smile, and all about her anymore.

                I sat at the chair near her bed and I grabbed her hand. I looked at her beautiful face. Now, I can’t see her beautiful smile anymore. Then, I realized that I have to call her parents. Itook my cellphone to call Hyu Jin’s parents, also her friends.

I miss her so much. Even it’s just been 30 minutes. I miss her so much. Really. The doctor said that Hyun Ji had a kidney failure. I have no any idea why she didn’t told me about that before. How can I live without her? How can I forget her? She was my life. I loved her more than anything. If only I can turn back time. If only I can help her. If only I can take care of her . If only…..… I want to move on , away from here. Away from all our memories.. I can’t stand it.

I sat on the chair near her bed, holding her hand, hoping for a miracle. her body is becoming  cold. My tears kept on rolling . Suddenly I heard someone opened the door. I looked at the door. Hyun Ji’s mother, Mrs. Park along with her father, and Mr. Park beside her.

“Mr. Park, Mrs. Park,” I stood up and bowed to them politely . “I’m so sorry about your daughter. It’s all my  fault, I couldn’t take care of her. She died because of me.”

“No,” said Mrs. Park. “It’s not your fault, Tao. She gave me this before she went to the airport,” she gives me a wooden box.

“Thank you, Mrs. Park.” I accepted the box. Curiousity ran across my body,  what’s in the box ?. I kept on staring at the box

 “You are great, son. She really loves you. Thank you for being in her life,” said Mr. Park then he patted my shoulder. Then they walk to find the doctor. I can hear that they asked the doctor what happen to Hyun Ji. They even didn’t know about her kidney?

 

Today is the funeral. Everybody’s here. Her parents, her grandparents, and the rest of her family, her friends, also her neighbours. Everyone looks sad, but I know, nobody feels the way I felt. Nobody loves her as much as I loved her. Nobody know her as I know her.

I can’t bear to look at her body. She’s really…different. Her beautiful white skin is so pale now. Her gorgeous mesmerizing eyes is closed. Hyun Ji, the person loved the most in this life , is now different. I haven’t open the box left for to me. I really want to , but I can’t. Can I turn back the time? I miss , I need her so much. I still wanna spend my life with her. She’s my life. I don’t know how’s my life is going to be after this.it will never be the same again.

Her coffin is going to closed soon. This is the last time to hold her cold hand. Before she will be gone forever , I kiss her cold lips for the very last time.

“I love you,” I whispered to her ear even If I  know she couldn’t  hear it anymore. Or maybe she’s here now ? Watching me kissing her cold and dead body.

“If only  time was on my side. I really want to turn back the time,” I mumbled.