The Empty Elevator

The Empty Elevator

She walked as fast as she could to the elevator. The sound of her feet were echoing in the large office building. She checks on her watch now and then. She was already late for 10 minutes. She exhaled a deep breath as she keeps on fast walking. She stayed up all night thanks to her assignment.  Well, actually, she only did her assignment for 2 hours and she spent the rest of her night staying up watching videos of her favourite boy band, One Direction. She just adores those boys although she realizes being the age of 25, she’s getting a little too old for boy bands and by now she should start focusing more on her career and future plans. As soon as she reached the elevator, she pushed the ‘up’ button numerous of times impatiently. Soon, the elevator arrived and slowly, the doors open.  She gets into the elevator quickly and makes her way to press the button to level 21. She was too focused until she doesn’t realize the oddness of the elevator being empty. Slowly, the elevator doors close. To her, each second while watching the door move is a pain. She taps her foot impatiently, her breathing much harder.  Just as the doors were about to close completely, a hand appeared in between them. She cursed under her breath. She was getting really impatient and mad. But that didn’t last for long.

 

Behind those fingers was a fair man. He walked into the elevator with a sympathetic look to her. He bowed quickly a couple of times.She takes it as a symbol of apology. She tries to smile as sincere as she can to not let the man feeling further sorry. The man was wearing a plain blue shirt with a darker shade of blue colored tie. The outermost layer of his clothing is a blazer which fits perfectly with his figure. She could not stop glancing at the man. She met a lot of men before and no doubt some of them were much more stunning and better looking than the man she is with right now in the elevator but there is just something about this man that caught her eye.

He notices her stare and tries to get rid of the awkward tension.

“Running late?” the man manages to ask her.

“Huh? Oh. Yeah.” muttered the girl.

The man thought to himself ‘come on, can’t she at least try releasing this awkward atmosphere?’ He sighs. ‘Seems like I’ll have to do it’.

“So, where do you work for? I mean, of course you work for this company but which department?”  The man was quite surprised at his own silliness. It’s unlikely of him to be like this. As he was trying to make a conversation, he slowly realizes the beauty of the girl beside her. She had dark brown eyes, the size of a typical Korean girl. Even though her eyes were a little small, they seem to be beaming with light. Those are the first things that caught the man’s attention.  Her skin is slightly tanned. The man begins to question himself.  He often describes the perfect skin for a girl is milky white and all his friends agree. Somehow, he found the girl’s skin really attractive. Her hair is black. He thought to himself, ‘so she doesn’t dye her hair like a lot of other girls do, that’s a little rare’.

 

His thoughts were disturbed by the sudden stuttering voice of the girl who’s trying to answer his question.

“The design department.” Answered the girl with a slow voice. She was looking down to her fingers while fiddling them. She was being really shy.

The man couldn’t stop staring at her. Everything about her features seem so imperfect but at the same time, so perfect.  This is again, unlikely of him who preferred typical white, milky skinned, skinny girls with large eyes. The man particularly had a liking for legs. Long legs. He secretly observed the girls legs and they didn’t impress. Her legs were a little short despite her height. The man thought again for a while, while observing the girl’s body. ‘At least she has curves’.

 

The girl was feeling so much discomfort as she can feel the man’s eyes all over her. She thought to herself, ‘oh God, why is the elevator taking such a long ti-‘. Her thoughts were cut off as she heard a sound signaling the arrival of the elevator to a floor. She was just about to step off the elevator until she heard the man’s sudden voice.

“It’s the 12th floor”, said the man with a little tinge of cheekiness.

The girl’s cheek was stained with bright crimson red as she was a little embarrassed by her foolish actions. She was still able to mutter a quiet “Thanks” to the man while walking back to the position she was in before.

“No problem” said the man casually.

They waited for someone’s presence but no one was there to get into the elevator. The man poked his head out off the elevator just to make sure if anybody was there.

“Huh, that’s weird” state the man with a smile on his face revealing his teeth.

At this point, the girl took a closer look at the man’s face. The man had quite puffy cheeks. His skin was smooth and flawless, very fair. His smile is a little crooked, revealing his teeth which she found cute.  His hair was short and slightly brown. She has to admit; his hair is a bit stylish and seems to be in trend. Her moment was disturbed when the man suddenly turned to her and smiles sheepishly. “Enjoying the sight?” teased the man.

The girl was startled and she could feel her cheeks heating up upon his sudden question. She was getting really embarrassed and again she thought to herself, ‘when am I ever gonna reach my floor?’. Then she suddenly realizes, the man hasn’t pushed the button to his floor yet.

Curious, being her nature, she asked the man, “Umm, hey, which floor are you headed to? You still haven’t pushed any buttons since you got in.”

“Oh me? I’m on floor 21. That’s your floor too, right?” asked the man with a smile on his face.

The girl is hypnotized by his charming smile. There is just something about him that she finds oh so magnificent.

They both heard that sound again, signalling that they reached a floor.

“Oh, it’s our floor” exclaimed the man.

Both of them walked out of the elevator immediately but luck wasn’t by their side when they were both trapped between the doors.

Their faces were only an inch from each other. The girl looked up only to see the man staring at her with a small smile.

“This is interesting” he exclaimed.

The girl couldn’t help but to chuckle at his words and the whole situation.  “Let’s at least try to get out of this mess”

He was stunned by her beauty at such a small distance. His heart beat twice as fast when he saw her laugh while finally saying something with a big smile on her pretty face.

The man turned his body to the side to escape the awkward mess although he wished they could stay like that a little longer.  The girl followed by walking out of the elevator.

Once she got out, they couldn't stop smiling like idiots. They were standing front to front, eye to eye.

“I have to go that way” said the girl while pointing to her back which is the right side of the building, still not taking his eyes off of the man.

“I have to go that way” followed the man while nudging his elbows to his back, hands in his pockets.

“Well-“

“So-“

They both said in unison. They laughed it off.

“You go first,” said the man. “No, I mean, talk first, not go like, walk away first” said the man stuttering and he felt his heartbeat increasing again. He lightly scratched the back of his head trying to hide his embarrassment after he was being too obvious.

The girl giggled at his cuteness. “I was saying that I hope I’ll get to see you around.” She said a little bit more freely. She felt as if she was under a spell, which made her show her true self instead of hiding in her shy cocoon.

“Of course. We’ll definitely see each other around. I hope so. Yeah.” Said the man still rubbing the back of his head with his right hand.

“So..I’ll see you around” the girl said, starting to turn around.

“Yeah, you’d better get going” said the man.

They both parted ways and felt as if they were both on top of the world. Although they were unsure of what just happened, they were ecstatic about it.

They made their way to their respective office. 

“WAIT!” the girl turned around after she heard a shout from her back.

“What’s your name?” the man asked with his voice a little raised.

“Eunbyeol. Shim Eunbyeol.” Said the girl also with her voice a little raised.”You?” she asked the man.

“Xiu Min” answered him. “Kim Minseok” he continues.

“Okay, see you later Mr. Xiu Min” shouted the girl with a smile that could light up the whole room.

“And I’ll see you, Miss Shim Eunbyeol” he said with a cheeky smile.

They both parted ways. For real, now.

Xiu Min thought to himself, “Hmm, Eunbyeol. Pretty name for a pretty girl’, still couldn’t wipe the pleasant smile off of his face.

Eunbyeol was swooned by Xiu Min's charm and as she was floating across the hall. Suddenly, a thought came banging into her head.

“Oh, shoot! I’m late!” she cursed and starts running in full speed in her ballet flats to her office.