CHAPTER 52

Two Moons: The Beginning

 

 

~CHAPTER 52~

 

I didn’t go to the cafeteria today since I spent my lunch break on the roof top.

“I’m so mean to Tao...” I sulked and hugged my leg while watching the students enjoying themselves from a far. “I was so overprotective of myself.” But I wasn’t like this with Sehun and Luhan. Maybe because I felt I could trust them more? I’m so bad...

“Food?” I gasped when I saw Xiumin giving me a piece of his melon bread. I eyed him and the bread. I bit my lip and accepted it.

“Thank you.” I slightly bowed. He grinned and continued eating his bread.

It was silent. Maybe because we were eating and at the same time gazing over the students fooling around.

“You know Tao was pretty upset by what you did a while ago. He really tried.” He casually said and I sulked. I played with my bracelet because I couldn’t look up. He glanced at me. “I can’t blame you, though. We wanted to kill you.” To the extent that I want to end this game now.

“I’m sorry. I was afraid.” I stated and hugged my knees. “It’s hard for me to trust because of what happened on Jeju.” I remembered Jiyoung. She hated me so much that she pretended to be my friend. “Tell Tao. I’m sorry.”

He nodded. “It must be hard on you.” Xiumin patted my back and I could feel his icy touch. I slightly shivered but who cares. He’s comforting me right now.

The bell rang. I slowly stood up and bowed. “Thank you for your time, Xiumin.” We smiled at each other.

“You can always find me here.” He said and I nodded. With a last wave, I left the rooftop.

“You’re one great of an actor, dude.” Chen high-fived Xiumin. Tao rolled his eyes.

“She wants me to tell you that she’s sorry~” Xiumin nudged Tao and he just shook his head. “Good thing, the bell rang. I swear if it didn’t I might have puke on the spot!” He laughed with Chen while Tao got his phone.

“It’s working. We’re gaining her trust.” Tao typed and sent it to Chanyeol.

“Okay.” Tao furrowed his brows. That’s all you can say? He closed his phone and placed it on his pockets.

 

Meanwhile, Chanyeol was inside his classroom thinking alone. He just replied to Tao. He frustratedly threw his phone on his desk and it hit a small cabinet.

This is wrong.” What am I thinking?! He messed his hair and let his head hit his desk. Nolae, look at what you did to me. He closed his eyes and thought  of Hana. He remembered the time when she was running outside of her room frightened. She was crying. Chanyeol didn’t want to see that again but with what he’s doing right now, she might cry again. “What am I going to do?!”

A janitor was observing Chanyeol’s movements. He left when Chanyeol stood up. He went to the janitor’s closet and locked the door. He reached for his iphone5 and called someone. “This is 2-star rank unit #12 reporting. Park Chanyeol is having doubts about his mission.”

Observe him and his teammates. Report afterwards.”

“Affirmative.” He closed his phone and placed it inside his bag. When he turned and opened the door, Chanyeol was already there standing.

“Who said you can spy on me like that?” With that, he watched the guy burn in flames and turn into ashes. He swept the ashes and threw it in the garbage bag just beside him. “Never ever mess with me assassins.”

 

The next day I was alone in the bus stop since Kai already left. “He’s still mad but I don’t get why he needs to overreact. It’s not like I can do something about it.” I gripped harder on the strap of my bag.

 

When I arrived at my classroom, my jaw dropped when I saw Xiumin, Chen and Tao surrounding Luhan and Sehun. Kai was nowhere. I gulped hard and bit my lip. Should I turn and leave? Or should I not?

“Oh~ Why is Kai not with the princess?” Xiumin said with a hint of teasing. “Got lover’s quarrel~?” He said and laughed with Chen. Luhan rolled his eyes and sat on his chair.

“Oh shut up.” I frowned and stomped towards my seat.

“Is it boyfriend’s fault?” Chen asked and high-fived Xiumin.

I blew my bangs. My morning was not good and here you are teasing me. One more bullet...Just one more. I shot him look and he defended his hands in front.

“Stop teasing her hyung.” Tao said and sat on Kai’s desk which is behind me. He leaned closer and whispered. “I forgive you.” I suddenly had goosebumps.

“T-Tao” Why am I stuttering?

“Hmm?” He played with my hair.

“I-I” I was uneasy. I gripped harder on my skirt. I was afraid that I might offend or hurt him in a way if I say how I’m uneasy I was.

“Get your hands off her!” I jerked and saw Kai at the door. He was glaring at Tao. Xiumin tilted his head on the right and arrogantly stood up.

“And why would we do that? Kai?” He asked and smirked in front of Kai’s face. “Why are you so overprotective? It’s not like we’re hurting her.”

The students in the room sat quietly. Where is the teacher when we need her now? They all thought.

Tao’s hands held my shoulders and I slightly twitched.

“Didn’t you hear?” Kai hissed and shoved Xiumin. He hit the board. The students jumped on their seats while they knees were trembling. They never saw Kai’s anger. “GET.YOUR.HANDS.OFF.HER.” He emphasized every word and held Tao’s wrist.

I gulped hard. I never saw Kai act this way. He was practically glaring at Tao and the others. If looks could kill, he’d be dead by now. I need to stop this. I gazed at our classmates. They’re frightened by his behavior. “Kai.” I said while looking at the ground. He was still gripping on Tao’s wrist. “Kai!” I said with a firm tone. His gaze was turned to me. I sighed. “Let go of Tao.”

He blinked and tilted his head. Did I just hear her said to let go of him? “What did you say?”

I looked straight into his eyes. “I said...let him go. You are scaring them.” I nodded my head to the students. Kai let out an ‘are-you-kidding’ laugh. He removed his hand.

“Just say it.”

“Huh?” I blinked. “Just say that you like them better than me.” He said and clenched his fists.

“Kai what are you saying?” I stood up from my seat and reached for his hand. “You know that’s not true.”

He smiled weakly and lowered his head. He pulled his hand off mine and turned. “You don’t know how I feel.” He said and left.

Kai? I opened my mouth but no words came out. I was taken aback by his actions. Have I not paid enough attention to him?

Without me knowing, Tao smirked at Xiumin and the others. Yep, this is what we want. For you to be...broken...to be...alone. 

 

It has been a hectic week since we prepared for our exams and the play. I was assigned to the props committee. Kai had not talked to me since last time. He ignored my presence whenever we passed by each other. He started hanging out with the Miyoung- the girl who danced with them on the commemorating days.

I was painting the bark on the stage while they were practicing their lines. It was the part where the girl confessed her feelings to the best friend.

“I love you.” Yoonmi said while looking straight into Sehun’s eyes. Her hand was closed in front of her chest. Sehun raised his brows as if he was surprised. She took a step closer while eyeing his hands. She reached for them and held them with her fragile fingers. “I love you Donghae.”

Sehun looked into her eyes and shook his head. “I’m sorry.” There was a moment of silence. Yoonmi was at the verge of tears.

“What are you saying?” Her voice cracked.  Sehun removed his hands from her grasp and held her shoulders.

“I don’t feel the same way.” He said. I stopped painting and looked at the scene. I imagined myself to be Yoonmi while Kris was Sehun.

 

“C-Can’t you give me a chance?” I asked while crying. Is there any hope? My shoulders deflated when he shook his head. “I already love somebody else and I’m engaged to her.” With that one last strike, my hands fell on the sides. I lowered my head. “I’m sorry...” That’s all he can say.

I was left alone in the hill. I was surrounded with darkness because the light from the stars and moon was covered by the rain clouds. I just stood there feeling the knives being stabbed to my heart.

“Hana.” Then in front of me was Kai. He was gazing at me with sad eyes.

“You saw?” I asked him and he just looked at me. “Silence means yes.” I smiled weakly and tears began to fall again. Soon, I found myself crying in his arms. He was hugging me tight because anytime I might fall and break.

“Marry me.” He said and I stopped crying. He released me and cupped my cheeks and started wiping my tears. “I promise that I’ll make you happy. I’ll make you forget him. Marry me.” He said. My lips trembled. If I say yes, will I regret? If I say no, what will happen to me? “I love you, Hana.” He blurted out.

“K-Kai...but I’m in-“

“Shh.. I know” He pressed his finger on my lips. “That’s why I’m asking you to marry me. I don’t want to see you hurting. I’ll help you forget him.” He promised and placed his pinky in front. I looked at it and swallowed hard. A part of me told me to reject his offer but another part urged me to accep it. *Kris is not for you, Hana...so why wait? It's not like he'll love you back. Stop being delusional. You have someone in front of you who truly loves you.* *But I'll be selfish if I accept his offer.. what about Kai?* Contradictions flooded my mind. *You deserve to  be happy. Accept his heart now* I looked at Kai's eyes and saw how it stared back at mine. I bit my lip. *I deserve to be happy.* I slowly reached for his pinky and swore.

His smiled widened like he was the happiest man in the world. I, on the other hand, looked at him and forced a smile.

 

“Are you crying?!” I gasped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Rian. “I knew from the start that Yoonmi was a great actress but Sehun and Kai...those two surprised me.”

I just nodded. “It was amazing, though.” I watched them continue practicing. That’s odd... Why did I imagine Kai? For a second, I saw Kai glanced at me but he quickly looked away. “He is still angry with me.”

“Kai?” Rian asked. I didn’t answer her and she sighed. “You know, there are times when guys can’t say what they feel so they just express it with their actions.”

“Hmm?” I raised a brow.

“So it’s up to us, girls, to decode that.”

“Decode what?”

Rian clicked her tongue. “Aish. You’re so slow! That’s why he-“ She bit her tongue and shook her head. “ Nevermind.” Gosh, it’s so obvious Kai likes you!

“Huh?” I was confused by what she was saying.