Lonely

Inhale, Exhale

 

It’s that dream again. Aish. I’ve been having that dream for as long as I can remember. It’s quite annoying really. I never get to see what’s in the basement, but I guess that’s why I keep having it. Just the fact that I don’t know what it is bothers me. I never have this problem. Since I have an eidetic memory, I can remember everything. If I had ever been in that basement I should remember it, but I don’t. It’s one of those weird things I can’t remember. It must have taken place around when I was nine years old. For whatever reason, I can’t remember anything before I was nine years old. It’s like some strange mind block or something. Even weirder, I can’t even remember my own parents. Apparently, they’re dead now. I don’t know how they died though. Not that it really matters. I don’t remember them anyway.

The alarm clock beeped. Here comes another sure to be non-eventful day. I don’t have much of a life. The most I do is work at Mrs. Son’s little market. She’s a sweet little old lady. She loves to talk about her sons. Apparently, one of them used to be in some group. I don’t remember the name of it, but he just writes songs now. Not that I care. I’ve met him a few times. He doesn’t seem like the type to sing and dance on a stage. He seemed rather taciturn, but that was just my impression on him. I think he’s more the type that would stay in his house writing nostalgic romance novels. Then again, that was just my impression of him.

I wouldn’t say I hate my life or I’m lonely. I’m just bored with everything and I prefer to be alone, that’s all. I’ll admit, I don’t have many friends. I don’t talk to many people either. Mrs. Son’s probably the one person that knows me the most. Quite honestly, I don’t even know why I’m here. In the past, I’d thought of just killing myself since I see no reason why I should stay, but something always held me back. Maybe I’m just too weak to do it. 

I grabbed a pair of jeans and a t shirt out of my rather minimal closet. I don’t really care about my appearance. It’s not like there’s anyone worth trying to impress anyway. I guess you could say I’m sort of a tomboy. I honestly can’t remember a time when I ever wore anything girly. As for my hair, it’s forever in a bun. Seriously, I just don’t care. Um, wait, what time is it? Dammit. I’m going to be late. 

* * *

She just doesn’t get it. I’m in the middle of finishing up this song, and she still insists I should come help her at the market? Aish. I know exactly how she’ll be if I don’t go. Why can’t she call Dongha instead? He’s never busy. The thing that annoys me the most is she never gets upset if he doesn’t go. I think she’s just playing favorites. I sighed, “Mir, I’ve got to go help my mom. I’ll see you later.”

* * *

“Good morning Hae Mi.”

I bowed respectively. “Good morning Mrs. Son. How are you today?” 

“Ah, well, the same as always. Although, my son, Dongwoon, is coming to help us today. You remember him right?”

I nodded, “Yes, I remember him.”

“You know, he’s single as well. You two should go on a date sometime. You’re both getting to that age where you should have at least a boyfriend.”

My face turned pink. “I don’t really-”

“Mom?” said a somewhat familiar male voice. I turned around.

“Ah, Dongwoon, I’m glad you came. This is Hae Mi. Do you remember her?”

“Yeah, I remember her. Hello, Miss Hae Mi.” 

“Hello.” I turned and went to pick up some vegetables that had fallen. Oh, I wish he wasn’t here. He makes me feel obligated to talk to him. 

The day was incredibly non eventful. Not that it wasn’t expected. Dongwoon didn’t say hardly anything. I’ll telling you, that guy would probably prefer to be at home writing a novel or writing sappy songs for all these younger flower boy groups. Then again, I sure didn’t make much of an effort to talk to him. Whatever. He probably doesn’t even want to talk to me anyway. As you were about to leave, Mrs Son yelled, “Dongwoon, be a gentleman and walk Hae Mi home. It’s dark.”

Oh, come on. Now I really have to talk to him. Great. 

He cleared his throat, “Where do you live?”

“Just follow me. It’s not far. You don’t have to come with me if you don’t want to.”

He sighed, “It’s fine. My mom will probably ask if I walked you all the way home. She’d have a conniption fit if I didn’t and I’d feel bad lying to her saying I did.”

You half smiled. “She probably makes you come help her out and throws a fit if you don’t come, doesn’t she?”

“Yep. She always asks me to, also. It’s because she knows I can’t tell her no, but Dongha will. Oh, well. Someone’s got to go. Might as well be me.”

“Ah, well... What else do you do, besides helping out your mom?”

“Um,” he scratched his head. “I write lyrics, compose songs, occasionally write just whatever... I don’t know. What do you do?”

“Absolutely nothing.”

“Surely you do something.”

“Honestly, I don’t.” You stuttered, “Oh, um, this is my building.”

“Should I walk you up?”

“No, that’s okay. Um, well, thanks, I guess.”

“No problem. See you around.”

Hm. Now that I think about it, I really don’t do anything other than working for Mrs Son. Seriously, why am I even here?

* * *

He kept coming to help Mrs Son. Everyday, he’d walk me home. Mrs Son sure is trying to get us to date or something. It’ll never happen. I won’t let it. Besides, I’m far from attractive. Both physically and personality wise. I’m anything, but pretty. I have the body of a skinny prepubescent girl and I’m a total tomboy. I’m shy, introverted, and just downright unapproachable. Then of course, there’s those dreadful scars. They’re all over my back. Because of them, I’ve never worn a shirt that doesn’t cover all of them. No tank tops, halter tops, or strapless anything. They’re embarrassing. The worst thing is I have no idea where they came from. I can’t remember a time I didn’t have them. They’re why I refuse to have any sort of relations with a man. If you know what I’m saying. I’ll probably die a . Oh well, can’t miss what you’ve never had. Maybe it’ll help me get into heaven. I’m sure I need all the help I can get to make it there.

“Hae Mi.” I jolted back to reality. “You can go now.”

“Have a nice evening Mrs Son.”

“You too, dear.”

Like every other evening, Dongwoon walked me home. Tonight, his roommate, Mir was with him. Mir had been helping Mrs Son out lately as well. I really don’t get how these two are such good friends. They’re complete opposites. Mir’s way more sociable and energetic than Dongwoon. He reminds me a bit of a puppy, with all that energy he has. Really, I’d prefer if he just shut up. Once we got to the apartment, I could sense something was wrong. 

“Sorry, miss. The building is infested with termites. You’ll have to find somewhere to stay while the building is being fixed.”

I groaned. Where am I supposed to stay? It’s not like I have any friends. Damn termites. 

“Hae Mi, if you don’t have anywhere to stay, you could stay with us,” Mir pipped in. Dongwoon smacked his arm.

“Um, well... Thanks for the offer, but I think I’ll be fine.”

The wind started to blow. It was bitterly cold. Times like this I wish I had friends. Aish, what’ll it hurt if I just stay with them? 

“Actually, I think I’ll have to take you up on that offer. Honestly, I’m not sure where else I’d stay.”

Mir giggled and clapped his hands. “We’d love to have you!”

It’s just for a little while, Hae Mi. Once you find somewhere else to go or you can go back to the apartment, you can thank them and leave. Oh, talking to myself again. 

* * *

“Mir! Do you have a brain? If you haven’t noticed yet, she’s a girl.”

“So? I was just being helpful. Come on, we both know she doesn’t have anywhere else to go. She doesn’t have any friends. I know that sounds awful, but it’s true. Your mom and us are probably the closest thing she has to friends.”

Dongwoon sighed, “I know. I do feel kind of bad for her. It’s got to be hard being alone all the time.”

“Doesn’t she have a family?”

I shook my head. “Not that I know of.”

“Poor girl. I bet she’s so lonely.”

“Wouldn’t anyone be?”

* * *

His apartment fit his personality that I made up for him. It looked like what you imagine a writer’s house would look like. Quaint, quiet, and cosy. Bookshelves lined one of the walls. It was actually pretty clean for two guys living there. 

“Um, since we don’t have another bedroom, you can sleep on the couch. It’s big, so I guess it’ll work.”

“Thanks.”

They both walked off to their rooms, leaving me in the living room. It was already getting late. I guess I’ll just get cleaned up and change, then go to bed. Um, I’ll just throw my bag in the corner for now. Okay, um, I’ll change in the bathroom... Hm, there’s a shower in this bathroom. I’ll just take one tomorrow morning. I’m totally dead tired right now. 

The couch was surprisingly comfortable. I could get used to this. I yawned, and my eyes started to close. So sleepy...

* * *

“Hae Mi?”

She was already passed out on the couch. Without a blanket or anything. Sighing, I laid a blanket over her small fetal positioned body. She reminded me a bit of a sleeping baby. If only she had her thumb in ...