Chapter 35

Seducing Nerdy Chanyeol !

 

It happened on one of those Thursday mornings when the sun seemed to shine brighter than usual and luck was leaning by your side. 
 
Your mood was unusually good as you woke up.
So that was how love felt? Crazy butterflies and stupid smile plastered on faces? Cheesy (yeah, a lot of cheese) and hard-to-define feelings? If that was the case then perfect. You liked it, you liked how it felt. The shy kisses, the stupid grins,the cheesy jokes, the way you were holding each others' hand and the way he was looking at you. You loved it all.
But above all, what you loved the most was the sweet, oh so sweet, sensation of relief. 
 
Because, hey guess what? The long awaited storm never appeared. Oh Sehun was a man of words and threats, not a man of action. Even though, the date had been the exact opposite of what it should have been, even though you didn't follow his instruction and made the situation even worst, nothing happened. No sentence, no punishment, not even a new threat. Sehun did nothing.
 
And to say you had almost sent Chanyeol that confused text on your way back home. You knew that you weren’t honest and you felt quite bad about it. Sehun's threat or not, this wasn't fair to Chanyeol and, sooner or later, you would regret it. But as for now, you were too weak, too egoist, too attached and too stupid to do the right thing. You deserved a little happiness once in a while too.
 
Especially after waiting countless hours, cellphone in one hand, teeth furiously biting the nails of the other, on that rough post-date evening. You had waited. For Sehun to do his job, for the moment to come when your heart would shatter in million of little pieces. Guilty was an unpleasant feeling, but waiting, oh waiting... It was so much worst. You couldn't tell how long you had paced up and down in your room,  Waiting. Just waiting. For a break-up text. For an angry call. For anything.
 
Hours slipped away.
Days passed. 
A almost a week flew by. 
No angry call. No break-up text. Just an infatuated Chanyeol who was falling deeper each day, dragging you along in his fall. He didn't know. Sehun never told him. And he probably never will. 
 
To say you were relieved wasn't enough to express how you felt. The thought of keeping Chanyeol a little more, of keeping this absurd situation alive a little longer was greater than that. 
And maybe if you convince Kai, it could last forever. 
 
Maybe.
 
But tick tock goes the clock. 
You should know more than anyone else that nothing last forever.
No matter how hard the sun shone on this bright Thursday morning, what comes around always goes round and you would learn it the hard way.
 
They say love makes people shine. Guess it was true. You had never been the type of girl who drew attention at school (or anywhere else to be honest). You were one student among other students, one among thousands. People would sometimes forget your name, mistake you for another person, not pay attention to you. But it was ok, it happened.  The only bit of fame you had earned was from Chanyeol because, uh hello, let's not forget you were dating the crazy kid! 
The one with twitching eyes and a blaring laugh . The one with a baritone's voice but the behavior of a five year old. Yeah, you were dating that one.
 
But on this Thursday morning, things were different. The stares were curious, the attention unusual. People were starring, people were whispering, their eyes lingering. Quiet murmurs were following you like shadows in the schools hallways. 
 
As a distraction from the sudden and unfamiliar attention, you fished your cellphone in the pocket of your uniform's jacket on your way to your locker. Class would start soon if you didn't hurry up. You checked your messages only to find you didn't receive your usual "Good morning, little sunshine!" text. Chanyeol must have forgotten to set his alarm again and didn't wake up. Your text exchanges would always keep him up at night. Your thumb was about to reach the "dial" key when you heard footsteps approaching and someone calling your name. 
 
You looked around and your eyes widened as you soon as you saw Mina, your ex-best friend, running in your direction. Red cheeks covered by unusually messy hair, he was out of breath when she reached your level. Something was wrong with this picture. 
 
« Hi. » She breathed, holding her hip in an uncomfortable manner. 
 
Mina talking to you was a thing, Mina running to talk to you was another. Even when you were still friends, physical effort wasn't a part of her habit. Ignoring you for having a crush on Baekhyun was.
 
« Uh, hi? » You frowned.
 
Above the dial key, your finger had stop in its track. And so did your brain. Pooling in confusing, you waited for her to say something. The silence was uncomfortable. 
 
« Do you need some- »
« Have you seen it yet? » She cut your off.
 
Something in the way Mina was starring at you made you feel uneasy. Her eyes were too big to properly hide her worry.
 
« Have I seen what? » 
 
Mina closed her eyes and sighed. The gravity written all over her facial features seemed to lightened up.
But if you had learned something from those years of friendship, it was that Mina would never look at you this way if everything was fine. Something was up. Her eyebrows knit, Mina grabbed your wrist.
 
« You should come with me then. »
 
Your eyes fell on her hand. 
You appreciated the attempt at softening the tension and being friendly (or whatever she was trying to do), but you had a phone-call to make in case Chanyeol really did forget to wake up and you didn't how you felt about her or or your relationship or everything that happened. Resentful? Maybe. You raised your phone, faking an excuse.
 
« Uh, I-I can't. I have a cal- »
« It's important. » She insisted. Her grip tightened around your skin. It hurt. « Trust me,         you need to come. »
 
Mina never insisted unless something was wrong.
 
__________________
 
 
« Nobody followed you? » Vicky asked when Mina opened the door of the ladies' room.
 
The small girl shook her head as the door closed behind you.
Leaning against a sink, arms crossed and eyes on you, Vicky and you made your first eye-contact since God knows when, but you didn't like what you found in her eyes. She was wearing the look of concern as Mina, if not even more worried. Something in the way she was examining you, as if she was looking for something, started to seriously make you feel uncomfortable.
 
« Can you tell me what's going on? » You asked, impatient. « Is it about Baekhyun or- ? »
 
Your two former friends exchanged a quick glance. You didn't like it at all.
 
« You, tell her. » Mina whispered, dropping her eyes on her shoes. « I-I can't. »
 
Vicky had always been the one announcing the bad news, the one handling critical situations. With a sigh, she stood up on her feet and unfolded her arms. 
 
« There's something you need to know. » The girl cleared . « And it's not about Baekhyun. It's about you. »
 
You gave a curious look at Mina. Her eyes were still on her shoes as she played with her fingers. Avoiding eyes contact, not good. 
Your attention got back on Vicky.
 
« I'm listening. » 
 
Vicky paced up and down in front of you, as if she was trying to put what she had to say in the right words. She ran a hand in her hair and chewed her bottom lips. Seeing her so uneasy was rare enough to make you seriously worrying.
 
«  Look, »  she sighed, glancing at you. «I know we had better days as friends and that w-» 
« Betters days? » You cut her off, raising an eyebrow. "We're not friends anymore. You made it very clear, if I remember correctly."
 
Yeah, that was a bit rough. But you were in a too good mood for this kind of bull and they were both starting to scare you. 
 
« No, wait! » Vicky frowned. « What I mean is that, hum, I know you've had a hard time these past few weeks. Our friendship wasn't at its best and... You know we still care about you, right ? »
« I guess. » You shrugged, not getting her point.
« We want you to know that we aren't judging you, ok? Everyone makes mistakes. Stuff happen, right? I mean you even started to date that frea- »
« Chanyeol. » 
« Chanyeol, yeah, right, » Vicky nodded. « I don't know what's going on between you two but I... There's something you need to know. »
 
Vicky was hesitating. She bit her lips, glanced quickly at a very quiet Mina then look back at you. Suddenly searching for something his her pocket, Vicky was leaving you hanging with incomplete sentences and confusion.  She took out her phone when two girls entered the bathroom. Loudly giggling, they both stop in their track when they noticed you Their laughters evaporated. As if they were seeing your for the first time, they stared at you a little longer than necessary. One of them gave a faint scowl, her eyes sparkling in an odd way. It lasted three seconds, maybe four, but you clearly saw it; disregard. She was looking at you the way bullies looked at their victim. The way people look at circus freak. She didn't say a word and yet,you could feel her judging you for something you couldn't pinpoint.
 
Mina coughed. The atmosphere got heavy as the two girls walked towards the mirrors, muffling their giggles. Uncomfortable, the situation was uncomfortable. You probably would have ignore it if the whisper of your name didn't reach your ear. 
 
« Is there a problem? » You frowned, turning in their direction.
 
One of the girls looked back at you. The same who gave you that nasty stare.
 
« Did you talk to me? » She asked.
« Yeah. »
 
Vicky stiffened next to you, her phone still in one hand.
 
«  What's so funny? » You retorted, crossing your arms.
 
If they were talking  about you, no mocking you, might as well do it directly to you. The two girls looked at each other, their smiles widening.
 
« Don't mind them, » Vicky whispered, putting a hand on your shoulder. «They're just messing with you. There's something more important you need to see first.»
 
You ignored Vicky and let go of your shoulder. You had waited weeks for a look, a smile, a sign of her. She could wait one minute for you to settle this. You took a step towards the two students.
 
« So? »
 
The girl twirled a lock of her hair with her  fingers, a smirk hanging on her lips.
 
« Honey, don't you have any self-respect? »
 
Her words took you aback. You weren't expecting that.
 
« Self-respect? » You raised an eyebrow.
 
What was he talking about?
The student rolled her eyes.
 
« Yes. Everyone has seen it, you know? »
« Seen what? »
« Oh come on, don't play innocent card on me. »
« I'm not playi- »
« Honey, please. You don't fool anyone anymore, so stop looking at me with those eyes. We now all know what type of girl you are. »
« Do you know what she's talking about? » You asked to Vicky and Mina. 
 
Seriously, that chick had issues. Vicky winced.
 
« Of course they do, » the student chuckled. « Everyone does, honey. »
 
You started to loose your patience. First of all you were not her "honey" and then, that girl was  dangerously playing with your nerves. 
 
« Everyone knows about what? » You asked, massaging the bride of your nose.
« Ugh, the pic- »
« Ok, enough! » Vicky interrupted, waving her phone in the air.
 
She walked between you and the two other girls.
 
« Don't listen to her. » She said. « She's only joking. Look, I- »
 
You shook your head. Glaring at the student over her shoulder, you could tell something was up. 
 
« What is she talking about? » You frowned.
« I'm talking abo-  » The girl gasped, a delicate hand on her chest. « Wait, you don't know? »
 
She seemed genuinely surprised. Her friend seemed as startled as her and looked at you with wide eyes.
 
« Know about what? » You cried out of frustration.
 
This situation was driving you crazy. Their shock turned into laughters. Vicky facepalmed.
 What the hell was going on?
 
«For real, you don't know?» The second girl asked.
«-I... No! Can someone ing tell me what's happening?»
 
You stared at the two students. You stared at Vicky. You stared at Mina. Why couldn't anybody just explain the situation to you instead of playing the mystery card? It felt like the whole world knew except you. You crossed you arms, waiting for someone to answer.
 
« Fine. » Vicky sighed. She pressed her fingers on the screen of her cellphone before handing it to you. « You... You should take a look at this then. »
 
__________________
 
 
 
 
You stormed out of the toilets, ready to murder anyone unlucky enough to be on your way. Especially if that person happened to be Kai.
Feet smashing against the floor, shaky fingers curled into a tight fist, you were going to kill that bastard.
 
« Wait ! Where are you going? » 
 
Vicky desperate calls died as you walked faster.
Blood was boiling in your veins, your breath jolting. This was going to pay. 
Your sight blurred from the tears you tried to contain. You weren't going to cry. Not for him and especially not in front of him. That would be too easy. Hurried footsteps followed you as a hand grabbed your arm, trying to make you stop.
 
« Are you okay? » Vicky asked, worried.
 
 Of course you weren't okay. But killing Kai would probably make you feel better, thanks for asking. You freed your arm from her grip and kept on walking. Besides, the timing for saving your friendship was off. You could only do one thing at a time. Right now, Kai was the emergency.
 
« Hey! » Vicky cried.
 
She followed you, trying to catch your attention.
But before you had the time to protest, you found him.
There he was, that ing jerk. As if nothing was going on, Kai was casually flirting with a girl student. Suggestively leaning against a locker, his lips curled into the most charming smirk, the collar of his shirt up, that dickhead was having the time of his life.
The sight set fire to the tiny but of self-control you had left. As you approached him, your tight fist raised in the air.
 
Kai didn't see it coming until it hit him. Like literally. And right on his chin.
 
His head hit the locker with a painfully loud metallic noise. The girl he was trying to seduce screamed and ran away. But he didn't get the time to realize what was happening that another punch crashed on his cheek. A third one was going to break his his nose when someone grabbed your arm halfway. 
 
« Let go of me! » You yelled at whoever was trying to stop you from killing that bastard. 
 
A hand on his swollen face, Kai stared at you with a mix of surprise and anger. Jaw wide opened, watery eyes, you hit him hard. The bruises would hurt. Perfect. Let him suffer.
 
« What the hell is your problem?! » 
 
You tried to free your arm, ready to punch him again. Wincing like a little boy, Kai used his arms as a shield in anticipation.  Fortunately for him, Vicky happened to be stronger than you.
 
« Leave me alone. » You mumbled.
 
She shook her head, decided to protect you from more trouble. No matter how much you would struggle, you couldn't escape from her grip.
 
«What did I do this time?» Kai hissed, massaging his bruised skin.
«We had an agreement!» You yelled. 
 
The contained tears were burning.
You did exactly what he wanted you to do. Seducing Chanyeol, dating Chanyeol... Wasn't he happy now? Wasn't he satisfied? What did he wanted more?
 
Kai had given you his words, he had made a promise!  But who were you fooling? The devil isn't trustworthy. There no such things as promises or pacts with Satan. Play according to his rules or don't play at all.
 
« What are you talking about? » Kai gave you a curious look. 
 
Did you hit him too hard or was he just stupid?
 
« You know what I'm talking about, » coldly replied.
 
Confusion lasted a little longer in his eyes until he came to the realization. His hand fell off his red cheek. A smirk crossed his devilish face. 
 
« Oh, that. »
 
Yeah, that.
 
« Hmm, I see. »
 
Slowly, Kai straightened up his clothes and lazily ran a hand in his messy hair. The way his lips curled into a even sneakier grin made you cringe. 
 
« It's okay, let go of her. » He ordered to your friend.
 
Vicky reluctantly freed you arms as she glared at him, as confused as suspicious.
 
« Damn, you know how to punch for a girl. » He teased you, twisting his jaw. « It almost hurts. »
 
Your fingers curled into a fist, ready to punch him again. 
 
« So it's about the picture. » He sighed. 
 
Leaning against the wall of lockers, he eyed you before crossing his arms.
 
« I honestly wished I could have kept it to myself a little longer. I have to admit, that picture was my guilty pleasure. But someone beat me to it. Too bad. » 
« I know you were the one who sent it, » you frowned. « Only you are cruel enough to do this. »
 
Kai tilted his head to the side, a seductive grin spreading on his lips.
 
« Oh, thank you! I'm touched to know how you feel about me. » His suddenly grin faded away as he made a step in your direction. « I'm sorry to crash your expectations, but I'm not the mastermind you're looking for, babe. »
 
You violently pushed him against the locker. His back hit the metallic box as a laugh escaped from his mouth.
 
« Stop lying! » You grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. « I know you did it. »
« Loosing control, babe? » He chuckled, raising an eyebrow. 
 
Not breaking the eye-contact, you let your hands fell off his neck. Strangling him would have been too nice. He deserved a more painful death.
 
« I lost my phone. »
« Bulls. »
 
He was the type of kid who was 24/7 on his phone. If he wanted to give you a lame excuse, he should I least give a realistic one. 
 
« Yeah, I know that , » he pouted. « I lost in at Hongdae few days ago. »
« You're lying. »
« I'm not. »
« Yes, you are. »
 
Kai rolled his eyes. 
 
« I don't even get why you're so mad, » he shrugged. « I mean, the deal is obviously over now. You can break up with that freak. Nothing force you to stay with him. And seriously, no one cares about that picture. Look around you, nobody gives a damn. You're a nobody so it's not even worth of anyone's attention. Give them a day or two and everyone will forget about it. »
 
You had to bit your inner cheek hard, really hard to prevent the tears from crashing on the ground. So hard your mouth started to taste like blood.
Vicky gently put a hand on your shaky shoulder.
 
« He's not a freak. » She corrected Kai.
« Whatever, » he rolled his eyes. « Besides, you got your friends back so, woohoo, here's your happy ending. Do I need to slow clap? »
 
He didn't get it. He didn't get it at all.
 
« I lost my honor, my dignity! » You protested, tears drops threatening to fall.
 
Kai bursted into laughters, clapping loudly his hands together.
 
«  You dignity? Seriously? Babe, you lost it the second you accepted our little deal. » 
 
That was it. That was the last final straw. A tear, quickly followed by others, crossed your cheek. 
 
« Why did you send it? » You whispered. « Why did you do that? »
« I didn't send it. »
« Then who did? »
« Does it really matter now ? Who send it or why ? » Kai sighed. « It's already everywhere. »
 
You whipped your wet skin with the back of your sleeve. Damn it, you said you wouldn't cry.
 
« It matters to me. »
 
Vicky softly squeeze your shoulder. But before Kai could give you an answer, the bell rang. What a perfect timing. Students started to rush in the school's hallways, heading to their classroom. Kai shrugged as he threw his backpack on his shoulders. Vicky, who sounded really confused about what just happened in front of her eyes, promised she would wait for you at the lunch break. Yes, okay thank you. You absent-mindedly nodded, your eyes on Kai, as she disappeared in the crowd of student. Leaving you with Kai. The tears didn't stop, but the amused look in eyes did. Before heading to his classroom, he walked past you.
 
"Don't look at me with those eyes, babe."  He whispered in your ear, "you knew it was going to happen. It was inevitable."
 
But what was evitable was crossing Chanyeol's eyes right at this moment. He was quietly observing you from the other side of the hallway.
 
When your eyes locked, you forgot everything, you forgot everyone. The heavy weight in your chest seemed to lighten up as your lips curled into a unconscious smile. So he did wake up.
 
But as soon as you shyly raise your hand to wave at him, you froze. Oh no, please, no...
The heavy dark-circles under his blank eyes said it all. His pale face and dead stare confirmed your worst fears.
 Chanyeol knew. 
 
Sehun told him. 

__________________

 

 

(A/N)  DUN DUN DUUUN ! 

I don't even-... why ? 

I want to thank ireadfanfics for kindly offering her help to proof-read the story !  No more mistakes, no more typos and no more confusion !

Also, I want to thank Ai_Hasu for the awesome trailer she made for the story. You can find it in the forewords or here. if (like me) you forgot some stuff about the story, this will refresh your memory.

I'm starting uni soon (ohmygod), which mean I'll probably be busy. But don't worry, the story is still going on. I started to write several chapters, so yay !  (ノ´ー`)ノ Thank you for your sweet support, you guys are the best !