Reluctance to let go

Not All's Fair in Love and War

 

 

Kibum was at the end of his wits. He was standing at a dead-end where there was a wall standing in his way, keeping him from crossing over into a safer place. A more peaceful place where everything was just right. A place where humans didn’t need to kill each other to survive, or fight for dominance and power.

Or betray loved ones.

Kibum spent the entire morning comforting a distraught Jonghyun. He learned a lot about the ex-military man he thought he knew. He learned that Jinki had been a spy all along, that he had only been there to report the progress of this small village, Yongin under the pressure of the Japanese army because they had a hunch from long ago that the British were active around here. Well, they were going to receive the evidence that their hunch was right all along in the form of Jinki’s reconnaissance.

Kibum learned that Jinki was not at all the man he knew.

Despite how betrayed and deceived Kibum felt, he realized that the real victim here was Jonghyun. His best friend had finally come around to accepting his feelings (and had gone as far as sealing the relationship, if Kibum’s assumptions after seeing Jonghyun’s form was right), only to find out that his lover was a traitor. A traitor for not only betraying Jonghyun’s trust, but the entire village’s as well.

Still, Jonghyun kept defending him, standing up for him. Kibum knew that he was only in denial of the reality but it was still so heartbreaking to watch his best friend ramble to himself more than anyone else.

“He wouldn’t do this for no reason.”

“He must have a valid reason.”

“He wouldn’t hurt me on purpose.”

Kibum wanted so badly to play along with Jonghyun’s rambling, just to comfort him more than anything else. But he couldn’t. Not when the bile was rising in his throat with the amount of anger building up in him. He had hardly suppressed the urge to break everything in his path while listening to Jonghyun recount how Jinki had revealed his whole agenda after he had used Jonghyun, how he wouldn’t listen to Jonghyun’s pleads to not do so, after which he left just like the many times he had disappeared before.

Something was amiss about the whole situation, though. Kibum could deduce that much from what Jonghyun told him. For example, why would Jinki admit to being a traitor if he was going to run away anyway? Why would he apologize to Kibum if he was the ruthless traitor he’s supposed to be? Why would he lead Jonghyun on if he had no plans of a future together with him?

Something was definitely amiss and Kibum just couldn’t put his finger on it. So he concentrated instead on spewing all his anger on the man. He regretted ever encouraging Jonghyun to listen to his heart. If he hadn’t, things wouldn’t have gotten so bad. But how was Kibum to know that Jinki would not think twice to hurt Jonghyun, someone he loved so dearly? ( Jinki could not have been pretending to love Jonghyun, his eyes were too sincere. Or he could’ve been a really good actor. Kibum doesn’t know what to think anymore.) How was he to know that the man who had been in Jonghyun’s heart all his life would suddenly turn around and stab him in the back like this?

“He loves me, Kibum. There must be a reason he’d still betray us despite that. I know him. He’s not a traitor-not in his heart…”

Kibum could hear Jonghyun’s words echoing in his ears as he watched villagers finishing up the last section of the gorge. Oh how Kibum wished he could believe that like Jonghyun? But no, he just couldn’t. Not when the betrayal was still so fresh in his mind. Kibum will never forgive the man for what he had done to Jonghyun. And to everyone else, as a matter of fact.

 

“We need a new plan,” Minho announced suddenly while everyone was having their lunch break that day. Kibum looked up from his untouched plate of rice at that, brows furrowed in confusion.

“A new plan, Kibum. One Jinki does not know of, one that could be advantageous to us so that the information relayed by Jinki to the Japanese would come to no use, misleading even,” Minho explained, putting his plate down and standing up. He looked around as though he was searching for something amidst the crowd of exhausted men that were taking a break right now. Kibum followed his actions, abandoning his food to see what Minho was up to.

Minho seemed like he found what (or who) he was looking for and immediately started in that direction. Kibum fumbled after him in a rush to keep up.

“Master, can I have a word with you?” Minho asked without really giving the man in question to even prepare for the sudden question. The master of swords from Suwon looked slightly taken aback by Minho’s demanding tone but he complied nonetheless.

“Kibum, wait here…” Minho told him, halting Kibum from following the two of them. Kibum frowned as he followed Minho with his eyes, curious of just what the other had in mind (and annoyed for being left out of the conversation.)

Eyes downcast in confusion, Kibum walked back to where Jonghyun was sitting, picking on his rice pathetically. It seemed like no one was in the mood to eat today.

“Hyung, are you alright?” Kibum asked, flinching at how stupid the question sounded even as it left his mouth. Of course Jonghyun wouldn’t be alright.

When Jonghyun simply shrugged as his answer and got up to do one thing or another, Kibum couldn’t find it in himself to lash out at him like he normally would have if he was ignored. He only wished that it was within his capability to make things better for everyone. Including himself.

“Attention everyone! There’s a gathering tonight at the village head’s place. We are re-strategizing.”

Minho’s words rang clearly in the silent field, ensuring everyone had heard him. Kibum was left to wonder once again what all of this was about.

 

“No, Minho. You’re not doing that…” Kibum voiced his thoughts in a threatening tone later that night. He glared at Minho, trying to get across just how much Kibum loathed this idea of his. Loath was too simple a word. Kibum wanted to kill Minho for even thinking up of ideas such as this one but he’s afraid that this plan of Minho’s would do it for him.

“I have to. It is the only chance we have against them,” Minho said, reaching for Kibum’s hand to console him. Kibum moved his hand out of reach. Minho was being ridiculous with this insane idea of his and Kibum wanted to play no part in this.

Minho’s so-called strategy was an ambush attack. He wanted to lead a group of men to hide just outside the Yongin border in both Suwon and Osan’s sides so that when the Japanese army was close enough, they could attack them from a direction they would not be expecting. This would mean that the Japanese would not only be deterred from reaching the village by the gorge and the armed British men in the front, but also by a group of sword-swinging men from the back.

The original plan had been simple but very clever. They would have men watching in Osan and Suwon since the Japanese army would have to pass through these two villages to get to Yongin. They would face the first surprise attack there as they would not be expecting the villagers in these two villages to retaliate. If (and by that, Kibum meant ‘when’ as he was certain that an attack there would do nothing to stop the Japanese, only slowing them down) the Japanese manage to break through the barrier and get to the border of Yongin, then there was the gorge waiting for them. Although, the gorge would be useful in taking out a good number of the men in the Japanese army’s frontline, he knew that sooner or later, they will be infiltrated in the end.

Then, comes the next stage in their strategy. The archers. They would be positioned to kill from afar amidst the chaos that will ensue after the discovery of the gorge. Simultaneously, the British would unleash their fire power and hopefully overwhelm the Japanese enough to retreat. It was only the final resort for the villagers of Yongin itself to get involved in the battle physically because this plan only needed them to play their part in the background- help the archers, cover for the exposed British men, guard the long house at the heart of town where the families from all the three villages will be placed during the war.

Right now, all that elaborate planning has come to nothing thanks to a certain traitor. Kibum knows that since the gorge and the presence of the British army is now no longer a secret from their enemy, they have lost their edge in the battle. Everything boiled down to pure determination now and it wasn’t much against the Japanese army’s great force. Unless of course, they had one last strategy up their sleeves. Something like what Minho was suggesting.

But Kibum would never allow it.

“Beyond the Yongin border, you will no longer be covered by the British army Minho. I will not let you attempt something as stupid as that,” Kibum said, determined to stop Minho from doing this.

“Listen, Kibum. This is the only way we can catch them by surprise because they will be distracted with the battle up ahead first before we strike. Leaders of the troop usually arrive in the end, after all the pawns are dead. I can lead our men to kill their leaders, Kibum. Chop the head off and the rest of the body will fall lifeless,” Minho explained, like he was explaining to a child.

Kibum disliked his patronizing tone.

“Good plan, Minho! Brilliant! Except you did not consider that although the leaders arrive at the end, they are surely to be flanked by many soldiers most definitely armed with more weapons than the ones up front,” Kibum said sarcastically, hoping to knock some sense into Minho.

“I’ve been in the army all my life, Kibum. You don’t have to tell me that for me to know. If we are well prepared, this is possible. I will take the best swords men with me. We have more weaponry now. We’ll use that as well,” Minho said, clearly getting irritated with Kibum’s protests. Kibum has learned by now that when Minho was challenged in things like war and strategies, he doesn’t back down until he has won. Well, neither will Kibum. He won’t simply stand by, watching his lover scheme his own death.

“It’s a stupid plan, Minho! You will stay here and fight with the rest of us,” Kibum shouted.

“Don’t be childish, Kibum. I know you want to keep me safe but I won’t stay here watching innocent people die, knowing that there is a way to end this more efficiently. I won’t stand here waiting for our end to come. I can’t risk losing you, Kibum…”

“Did you stop to think that I would feel the same way? I… uggghh.. forget this! I’m going to Jonghyun’s father to call this plan off. He never seemed to be in favor of the plan from the beginning anyway…”

This was the only way Kibum could stop Minho. He would definitely listen to the words of the village head. Right?

“Stop it, Kibum! Even if he calls off this plan, I would still go. Alone, if that’s what it takes,” Minho said, getting in between Kibum and the door. Kibum was losing in this battle and he knew it. Minho was as hard-headed as… well, as Kibum and there was no way he would change his mind now. But Kibum had to keep trying, keep fighting for his love.

“Do you want to leave me that badly, Minho?” Kibum asked, his voice a silent kind of cold now. He hated the sound of his own voice that carried icy edges so sharp, that they seemed to be a physical pain to the both of them.

“You know that’s not what I mean!” Minho said, tugging at his own hair in frustration.

“Sure… Then, let’s do it, Minho. You and I. Let us both go on this suicide mission. Let us both die together…”

“Kibum, don’t be ridiculous!” Minho shouted at him and Kibum was sure that the entire house was listening in on their argument behind the closed door of their bedroom.

 “I’m going to Jonghyun’s father this instance. He will know how to stop you!” Kibum said with resolution, trying to push past Minho.

“KIBUM!”

The sudden outburst caught him by surprise and Kibum stilled for a moment. Minho took this momentary distraction to his advantage and before Kibum knew it, he was pinned up against the door with two hands grasping his shirt tightly. Minho glared at him angrily, his breathing ragged and the air fanning over Kibum’s face.

“I love you, Minho. Do you see why I can’t let you do this? You might as well kill me now if you’re still going to do this…” Kibum tried again, this time softly. Maybe a little gentleness can melt the rock-solid determination of Minho’s.

“Kibum…”

Or maybe not.

“There’s a negotiation going on between the British and the Americans and all of the western forces. This world war that has been going on for too long will end soon. We only need to hold out for a bit longer before there’s an intervention. I can buy us precious time, Kibum…”

Minho’s sincerity, his determination, his strong will- it all made Kibum shut up and just stare. What has he done? What has he started? Kibum realized that it was too late to stop all of this. Suddenly, the war didn’t seem like a distant thing in the future. It seemed like a great darkness looming above them ominously, threatening to tear him away from everything he ever loved.

“I can’t let you go!” Kibum said hoarsely, pulling his hands free roughly and pushing Minho back with his good hand. Minho seemed to be taken aback by Kibum’s sudden change in tone. Kibum walked forward, causing Minho to take steps backwards in confusion. When they were close enough to the bed, Kibum all but shoved Minho onto the bed and climbed over him. Minho didn’t put up a fight as Kibum hovered over him in bed.

“I’m not losing another person I love to war and brutal army men!”

And with that, Kibum leaned down to kiss Minho forcefully, stealing the words of protest on the other’s lips away. Minho responded although he was not as enthusiastic as Kibum. He had a hand ready to push Kibum away as soon as he was done… acting up. Of course Minho knew that this was Kibum’s effort to keep him here, to make sure that he doesn’t go on this mission of his.

“You won’t lose me, love. I’ll come back victorious and you’ll be proud of me…”

Kibum ignored Minho and leaned down to shut him up again. He pushed Minho’s hand that was separating them away and pushed their bodies flush against each other. Physical intimacy was the last thing on Kibum’s mind right now but it seemed to him like it was the only way to distract Minho.

“Kibum, don’t… Look at me,“ Minho said softly, but it fell to deaf ears as Kibum became absorbed in making his lover forget everything else. He struggled with the buttons on Minho’s shirt as he could only use one hand to do so.

“Kibum. Look at me!” Minho said a little more sternly, cupping Kibum’s face and pulling it up to look him in the eyes. Kibum blinked away the moisture glazing his vision to maintain the eye contact.

“This life is what you gave me that night you saved me from bleeding to death and if there is anyone who’s going to take it away, it will be you and only you. Do you understand?” Minho asked.

“Can you promise me that, Minho?” Kibum asked cynically, knowing how childish he sounded for asking Minho to guarantee something that is out of his hand. It doesn’t matter because Minho’s not leaving. Kibum will tie him up to this bed if that is what it takes.

Minho answered him not with words. He answered him with passionate kisses and intimate touches. Minho was very skillful. He was a sinisterly clever, scheming swindler. Without even Kibum realizing it, he managed to keep all of Kibum’s further protests at bay. Without even using words, Minho successfully convinced him into believing that he could really pull this off. He made Kibum believe (just for a while) that what Minho was attempting wasn’t life-threatening.

They made love until the wee hours of morning. As the first rays of sunlight filtered by the curtains sprawled across the floor of the bedroom, they fell silent beside each other. Kibum was exhausted like he has never been before and yet, he couldn’t find sleep. That was when he heard the bed rustling behind him as Minho woke up, trying to keep as quiet as possible. He probably assumed that Kibum was asleep.

Kibum gripped the comforter on his chest with a death grip as his heart clenched painfully.

He’s leaving. And he doesn’t even want to say goodbye…

“You’re still going…” Kibum said in a whisper but he knew that Minho heard him loud and clear.

There was a moment of almost tangible hesitance in the air before the bed dipped behind him once again. Kibum silenced his weak sobs immediately. He felt Minho lean over him and take his hand. He opened the hand and placed a plain, silver ring with roman letters carved inside it, in the center of his palm. Minho lingered over him for a while longer like that, waiting for Kibum to look at him. But being as stubborn as he was, Kibum just wouldn’t.

“It’s my mother’s. I meant to give it to you a long time ago but I just kept putting it off. Well, there’s no time like the present, right?” Minho chuckled humorlessly. Kibum still wouldn’t respond. He only allowed the tears to fall from his eyes quietly as he felt Minho’s lips press against his temple delicately.

“I love you, Kibum…”

Then, all of a sudden, the warmth was gone and Kibum could no longer feel his presence in the room.

There in that silent, cold room was where Kibum realized that he was making a huge mistake. Like it or not, Minho was really going and it just didn’t feel right for Kibum to let him go without even a proper farewell.

In the next few moments, Kibum got off the bed and reached for his clothes, getting dressed up hastily. With the ring tightly clutched in his right hand, he ran out the door, praying to all the gods that Minho hasn’t gone too far yet.

His prayers didn’t go unanswered as Kibum swung the front door open and immediately saw Minho waving goodbye to Jonghyun’s father. Kibum ran as fast as his legs would carry him, surprising both Jonghyun’s father and Minho. He came to a sudden halt just a few feet away from crashing into Minho. He struggled to catch his breath before looking up to meet Minho’s questioning gaze.

Kibum reached for Minho’s right hand without saying anything and slid the ring back onto his ring finger.

“Kibum, what-“

“You keep it. When all of this is over, come back here, get down on your knees and put this on for me yourself. I’m holding you to your promise, you hear me?”

Kibum forced a small smile, just to give Minho encouragement and assurance that Kibum wouldn’t be a whiny little child about this any longer. He trusted Minho with all his heart and so he had to trust that Minho will be alright doing this too, right? Besides, if things did end badly for Minho, then Kibum knew exactly what he himself would do.

It was just like what Kibum remembered thinking a long time ago- not even death has the right to take Minho away from him.

Minho grinned from ear-to-ear after hearing what Kibum had to say.

“I take that as a marriage proposal Kibum and I will hold you to that promise…”

This time, Kibum managed to give a more genuine smile. He watched Minho walk away, a rifle on his back and a sword strapped to his waist, and Kibum couldn’t help the swelling of his chest with the amount of pride he felt for his brave lover.

“Love… Such an unpredictable thing, isn’t it?” Jonghyun’s father said and that was when it registered to Kibum that he had been there the whole time. Kibum immediately started wracking his brain for some excuse to cover up for their slip-up.

“We were just-“

“It is because it is so unpredictable that it is also so dangerous, if you know what I mean…” Jonghyun’s father said, gazing into the middle space. Kibum fidgeted in his place, not knowing what to make of that statement. Was Jonghyun’s father going to get mad at him or find him disgusting like everyone else who knew about this?

“Ah-Ahjusshi… Are you… Are you angry?”

To this, Jonghyun’s father finally looked at Kibum and to Kibum’s pleasant surprise, he smiled. He actually smiled. Then, he simply shook his head and turned around to head back into the house.

“How can I be, Kibum, when my own son is in the same position as you?” he called back to Kibum as he walked. Kibum blinked in even more surprise and as if Jonghyun’s father knew of his confusion, he turned to Kibum again.

“A father’s instinct…” he said, winking at Kibum good-naturedly. Kibum smiled. Well, what do you know? There was hope for his love in this world after all.

 

“That’s the last family from Osan,” a young man announced. Kibum stood aside to allow an old woman and her two young grandsons to enter the safe house they had prepared to protect the weak ones from the war.

“How is it holding up over there?” a man Kibum now knew as Osan’s village head asked that young man.

“Not good. I think one of the kempetais might have caught sight of our watch towers,” he answered with a frown set on his brows.

“How do you know that?” Jonghyun’s father asked.

“A few of the boys were doing their rounds when they saw a stranger lurking in the shadows. It seems he ran off as soon as they started after him,” he explained.

“I think it would be better if we sent them a few more archers to help.”

Kibum had just wanted to suggest that when Jonghyun had beat him to it. The others standing there were all nodding in agreement to the suggestion.

“No need for that. The British army had assigned a small troop to help them there.”

Kibum’s reaction to that voice was almost instinctual. He began to snarl inwardly even before he turned around to face the General, who was standing there looking as smug as ever.

“How come? And so suddenly too…” Jonghyun’s father asked. The General shrugged indifferently which made Kibum’s blood boil. This was a war they were talking about, not some play. He could take things a little more seriously as hundreds of lives are at stake here.

“I made some calls after I heard about the men you sent out there on a suicide mission,” he said. This new piece of information had Kibum feeling like he was missing something very obvious. What was it about Minho’s uncle making calls for back-up that had Kibum’s instincts tingling?

“What about Suwon?” the chubby old man that was Suwon’s village head asked.

“The British army couldn’t afford to send more people. There has been a bomb threat in Pearl Harbour that’s wrecking havoc all over the West and the army’s busy tending to that. Every troop in Korea is now on stand-by to attack the central Japanese government in the capital,” the General explained.

Everyone who had been close enough to hear this started to talk about this which started a buzzing sound in that crowded area. Kibum, however, was busy boring holes into the General’s face. The General caught his eyes and glared at him for a moment before turning back to Jonghyun’s father.

“Maybe next time you would consider talking it through with me before you start sending my men out. Do not forget who’s really in charge here!” the white man said before turning around and shouting orders at his men.

Minho.

Could it be that the General sent for a back-up troop because Minho is out there?

No, that was not possible. Even the thought of it sounded ridiculous after all Kibum had seen of what this man was truly capable of.

“And I’m just giving you a heads up since you seemed to know the one who betrayed us. When I get my hands on him-“ the General paused, clenching his fist threateningly, “-It’s not going to be pretty when I’m done with him.”

Kibum sensed Jonghyun tense immediately at that. He looked over at his best friend and saw his face pale as he pressed his lips into a thin line. He fists clenched so tightly that they began to tremble. Kibum laid a hand on his forearm to calm him down.

Jonghyun’s father simply ignored that obvious threat made to him and walked past the white man. He was probably going to patrol around the borders, like he has been doing all day long. The still furious (now, even more so for being taken lightly) General turned back and led his troop to their assigned posting at the borders as well.

Kibum was still busy contemplating what his instincts were telling him but his brain was rejecting when a young boy who could not be older than Kibum came running towards where he was standing. The boy stopped, out-of-breath, before the Osan village head.

“They know. They know about Osan’s alliance with Yongin. They just burned down one of the watch towers down…” the boy said, between gasps of air.

The Osan village head immediately began to bombard the boy with more questions on what exactly happened. It has begun. The war has begun and soon, he was going to see it for himself. While Kibum was standing there listening to the accounts of the incident, he had only one thought running in his mind.

Minho-yah, are you safe right now?

 

 

(A/N) Long overdue Chapter 34!!! It's Christmas but I end up givivng you guys such a sad chapter... OTL So sorry, guys!!!

I'm so tired so I will get back to the comment replies in the morning guys!! Merry Christmas my dear subbies!!! Spend time with your family and bug them for lots of presents!!! Eat a lot of the glorious Christmas food and ship some to me!!! Hehehe... And btw, have you guys seen Jjong's latest tweet wishing us all Merry Christmas. They're so melodramatically adorable that it hurts... My OT5 feels.... 

Thank you for reading and happy holidays guys!!! <3