Pulling and Pushing

Not All's Fair in Love and War

 

The only thing holding Kibum back from grabbing his lover’s collar and shaking him so that he regained his senses, was the intently watching eyes of Jonghyun’s father.

“Minho, can we talk in private?” Kibum asked, not knowing how to get his message across to Minho without letting the third man know too much. If he hadn’t heard enough about those rumors to believe it, then Kibum didn’t want to give him more reasons to.

“Sir, my uncle- he’s a vengeful man. Please make sure Kibum doesn’t come back here,” Minho spoke to the elder.

“That much I have observed over the past few months, son. You don’t have to tell me. Don’t worry. I think Kibum himself understands the dire situation at hand,” Jonghyun’s father said, giving Kibum a meaningful look. Kibum cowered away from meeting his eyes.

“Minho, please..” Kibum said, growing impatient and not liking the direction of this conversation.

“That won’t be enough, sir. I think it would be safer if you could have someone watching him and halmeoni. My uncle’s won’t stop at anything if he has his mind set and Kibum could be reckless at times, I’m sure you realize…,” Minho said.

“I’m standing right here, Minho!” Kibum exclaimed, tired of being treated like a child.

“I know, Kibum. That is why I am saying all of this, so you would hear it…” Minho stated matter-of-factly.

“I’m glad one of you is acting mature about this. Kibum, stop complaining. I’m taking you home now,” Jonghyun’s father said sternly.

Giving up on talking to Minho in private, Kibum took to whispering to MInho.

“MInho, I think it’s obvious that I can’t come here to work anymore. But I can come to see you, right? I mean, I’ll be extra careful and stay out everyone’s sight,” Kibum hissed.

“It’s not safe anymore. Don’t do that, Kibum.”

How the hell was Minho being so calm about this?

“But, MInho…. I… We… You’ll be here with me. No one will hurt me then….”

“I can’t be with you all the time Kibum. I have duties. I can’t be protecting you all the time,” Minho said, not even caring that Jonghyun’s father was listening.

Kibum was at a loss for words. Was Minho really saying all of this? How thick headed can he be? Did he really think that Kibum won’t be able to see through his pretense? Kibum knew that the mean words were only Minho’s ploy to shut up Kibum’s protests but that didn’t mean that it hurt any less to hear him say it.

“Minho, I’m t-“

“Kibum, enough! I’ve heard enough! If you have even an ounce of respect left for me, you would shut the hell up and follow me this instance,” Kibum stopped abruptly at Jonghyun’s father’s tone. Kibum had so much respect for the man and the last thing he wanted to do was to offend him. But how is he to leave Minho like this, not knowing when they’ll see each other again? Or not knowing how he is going to be, living among people who are so nasty.

Kibum tried to get Minho to look him in the eye while the latter talked to older man about Kibum’s security (which was the least of Kibum’s worries now.) However, his attempts were to no avail as the latter was too busy engaged in the conversation.

“That’s set then. Kibum will have someone watching over him and making sure he doesn’t do anything completely idiotic like coming back here. It’s a shame that circumstances turned out this way and that your friendship has been sullied by these rumours. Because you sure are a fine young man, Minho, and you two could have been very good friends, something that is hard to come by in these times,” Jonghyun’s father patted Minho on the shoulders while the latter just maintained his blank expression. Kibum’s heart clenched at the lack of reaction.

“Yeah, we could have been really good friends. The best ever,” Kibum repeated, hissing the word friends out just to spite the latter. It seemed to work. Minho finally looked him in the eye.

“It’s better this way. Safer and problem-free for the both of us,” Minho said, his eyes on guard and not letting any emotions show. It angered Kibum to no end.

“You’re right. It’s better this way. I’m glad that you’re problem free now that I’ll no longer be in your life.  Let’s never meet each other again, Mr.Choi. Let’s part ways the same way we met, right here in the jungle. Or better yet, let’s just forget we met. I’m sure you’d like that very much!”

Kibum was sure he would regret saying this, but he wished he would at least be able to anger the other enough for him to... to what? Kibum was thinking of something along the lines of pulling Kibum in his arms and kissing him senseless and apologizing for ever trying to push him away.

But alas, nothing of that sort happened. What happened was the breaking of Kibum’s heart. What happened was the growth of an excruciating pain in his head from seeing Minho’s stoic face.

“Take care, Minho... I hope that your life turns out better once I’m no longer in it...”Kibum said before turning to walk away. He thought he had seen Minho’s eye twitch in reaction to Kibum’s forlorn tone but Kibum knew that being the hard-headed man he was, Minho would stand his grounds for as long as he thought necessary. Jonghyun’s father looked like he has given up trying to understand their conversations a long time ago as he followed Kibum to leave, eventually overtaking Kibum to walk ahead.

Kibum turned back one last time, only to see Minho’s turned back walking away from him. The stark white bandages that coiled his body stood out against the dark surroundings. How many times of watching Minho’s turned back will he have to see before they could finally be together like they needed to be?

Is this a curse that Kibum has received for being what he is and for doing what he has?

 

Kibum observed the monks in the temple all meditating peacefully from his place under a shady tree. His grandmother was receiving blessings from one of the monks inside. She had been terrified the night (or rather early morning) that Kibum came home with Jonghyun’s father, his head bandaged and face wearing a grim expression. She had fawned over him, crying, while Jonghyun’s father had explained everything to her and how things are going to be from then on.

Not satisfied with spilling everything to his grandmother, Jonghyun’s father then had what he called a man-to-man talk with Kibum. Basically, it consisted of Jonghyun’s father chastising him for how stupid he has been all this while for ‘playing with fire’. He also reminded Kibum constantly about how he was not only endangering his own life, but also everyone close to him as if Kibum’s conscious wasn’t doing a good job at it already.

Kibum looked around the peaceful surroundings of this temple. The thought that in an unknown period of time in the future this could all be gone was simply too disturbing. Kibum’s mind wandered to a faraway place as he looked at the green trees that stood majestic around the circumference of the temple.

Kibum has been worried sick about Minho ever since he came back. The man was hurt. So badly hurt. All his own uncle had done about it was humiliate him. Kibum didn’t even know if someone was treating his wounds, checking him for internal injuries, feeding him on time and making sure he got some rest. Knowing that he himself hasn’t been of much help was a painful thought to bear and Kibum found himself cursing himself all day every day for ever saying those things to Minho that day.

“Can you hear me?” Kibum asked in a whisper to no one in particular, looking up towards the sky.

“If you can, I want to ask of you a favour as undeserving I may be. Punish me if I’m a sinner, if what I’m doing and what I’ve done is a sin. But please, please keep him safe. Please keep him out of harm’s way. Please, god...

“What are you doing, Kibummie?” Kibum heard his grandmother’s voice say and he immediately looked away, wiping the stray tears on his cheeks. Then, he turned to his grandmother wearing a forced smile.

“Nothing, just talking to myself...” Kibum said. His grandmother took a seat beside him and patted his head. Kibum turned to lie on her lap, facing away from her as she took to slowly the hair beneath the bandage that still adorned Kibum’s head.

“You’re sad...” she said more than asked.

“I’m not, halmeoni...” Kibum said in vain as he heard her amused laugh.

“I’ve known you for nineteen years Kibummie... I’d think that I’d know when my baby is sad...” Kibum sighed at his grandmother’s words. Of course, she of all people would see right through his lie.

“It’s... It’s Minho...” Kibum said, cautiously.

“What of him?” his grandmother asked in genuine concern.

“He’s hurt and there’s no one over there to take care of him...”

“Don’t get me wrong Kibummie, but he’s a big boy. He’s in the army too. I think that much says enough of his resilience. He will get through this...”his grandmother said.

He might but I won’t... Not without seeing him...

“Why are you so worried? Weren’t you two fighting like cats and dogs when you first met?”

Kibum recalled meeting the other for the first time in the jungle, how they have instantly developed hate for each other which later opened up way for their love. He smiled at the vague memory of punching his love in the face.

“Things changed. I found out that he’s not so bad after all...” Kibum explained.

“Really?” The question was asking for Kibum to explain further. Kibum wondered what was feeding his grandmother’s curiosity. It briefly crossed his mind that it might be Jonghyun’s father’s elaborate explanation of what happened in the forest, but he pushed the thought aside. Talking about Minho made him feel better and he didn’t want to stop.

“Yes, really. He’s really stubborn and full of ego and he could be quite annoying most of the times. But he’s also a really good friend. He was there for me when you were hospitalized and when I was thinking that I was going to lose you forever. He just knows how to make me very happy... He really...-“ Kibum paused thinking that what he was about to say might raise suspicions and hence quickly changing his words, “-He understands me...”

Of course, it’s more than just that. But this much was the truth that Kibum could tell his grandmother without letting on too much.

“He sounds like the best friend you could ever have...” Kibum’s grandmother mused. Kibum had the burning intention to correct her. To tell her that, Jonghyun was the best friend he could ever have. Minho was the soul mate he was born to be with. Kibum would have said that with no doubts whatsoever if the circumstances were different and if someone was capable of understanding what he shared with Minho.

However, all Kibum was able to do is to let her think what she wanted, for he had not the heart to tell her otherwise. As much as she loved Kibum, she would never understand.

No one is ever going to.

 

It has been a week since Kibum last saw Minho. He was at Jonghyun’s house, in his room, lying on the bed while waiting for the other to come home from wherever it is that he has gone off to. He was exhausted as always because of working despite his injuries. It’s the only thing that kept Kibum’s mind off of things. So Kibum did his chores with more enthusiasm than necessary, not even letting the two men Jonghyun’s father had hired to help him (and also protect him) in the barn do much.

Kibum was lulling off to sleep when he heard hushed voices coming down the corridor towards the room. The voices seemed to be getting closer and cleare. Kibum recognised both the voices; Jonghyun’s and Jinki’s. As they paused in front of the door to the room, Kibum could hear clearly what they were talking about.

“Jongie, why won’t you tell me?” Kibum heard Jinki say, uncharacteristically adorable. He wished he could see the other’s expression as he said this for he was curious how a man so mean can sound so cute when he whined.

“Because you’ve been a bad hyung to me...” Jonghyun said, in a too-cute voice as well.

“But I did nothing wrong...” Kibum heard the pout in his voice. He felt as if his limbs were beginning to shrink from the cuteness overload. How was that even possible when the person involved is no other than Jinki.

“But you did...” Jonghyun said, not explaining further. There was a short while of silence. Then, Jonghyun’s unmistakable boisterous laugh followed.

“Hyung, stop it! Hyuuuuuung....”

Kibum was really curious of what was happening outside but he seemed to be glued to the bed and unable to move as he listened for more. Since when did he become an eavesdropper?

Suddenly, the room’s door slammed open and Jonghyun literally fell inside on his back. Jinki fell atop him, seemingly tickling him from what Kibum could see. They seemed to not have noticed Kibum on the bed.

“You asked for this Jonghyunnie...” Jinki said, his face lit up by a smile so kind that Kibum was sure he was seeing a whole new person. Jonghyun seemed to be unable to speak as his laughter took all his breath. But even then, his high-pitched ‘pleases’ were unmistakable.

“You’re too cute when you beg,” Jinki said, finally stopping and pinching Jonghyun’s cheeks instead.

Okay, that’s it! This is too much for me to handle.

Kibum found himself thinking. He cleared his throat obnoxiously and as loudly as possible. Jinki looked up at lightning speed and their eyes met. With the same speed, he clambered off of the too-comfortable position he had been in with Jonghyun.

Jonghyun too looked up in an upside down way. When his eyes met Kibum sitting on his bed, his smile vanished and he stood up immediately as well. His cheeks looked like someone had pinched him (which someone actually did not a few seconds earlier.)

“K-Kibum...What are you doing here?” Jonghyun asked, shifting from one feet to another, his habit whenever he was nervous.

“Y-you told me to come here yesterday, remember?” Kibum stuttered, quit embarrassed himself for reasons he couldn’t understand. He just saw two friends playing around. It’s not like he saw something that he shouldn’t have seen, right?

Right?

“Oh, right! Yeah, I had that thing to tell you... Jinki hyung...” he turned to the older unsurely. Jinki looked at Kibum in appraisal once before turning to leave the two of them. Now, there was the Jinki Kibum knew so well.

“Kibum, what you just saw...” Jonghyun began.

“It’s alright, hyung. Just get to what you had to tell me...” Kibum said. Something about the whole situation felt so familiar to Kibum. Not the sequence of events but rather the atmosphere. He didn’t want to make Jonghyun explain. Why would he make his best friend explain his happiness as if he committed a crime?

“O-okay...” Jonghyun said, uncertainly. He approached Kibum and sat beside him on the bed.

“Anytime, hyung...” Kibum said, impatiently.

“How’s your head, Kibum?” Jonghyun asked, looking at the fresh bandage around Kibum’s head.

“It’s fine, hyung. A little sore and sometimes itchy, but fine. Please get to your point...” Kibum rushed the other.

“Alright, alright. I need your help,” Jonghyun finally caved.

“With what?”

“You know the village people very well. I need your help with getting a few men jobs in our village,” Jonghyun stopped at that. Kibum looked at him expectantly for him to continue. Jonghyun sighed.

“I know about your problems with the army and I’m probably going to hell for asking you this. My father asked me to find jobs for six army men to work in our village. Part of their so-called strategy although I have no idea what for. This is what he told me, that they are stationed in the village to be the hidden cards if, no, when the Japanese army attacks. Most of the villagers would need no help but you still have to convince a few to take in extra employees inconspicuously. You can do this, Kibum. The villagers absolutely adore you,” Jonghyun finished.

“And why can’t you do it yourself?” Kibum asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Because I have an audition coming up at a recording company next week that my father obviously doesn’t know about. Between rushing to the city for rehearsals and keeping it a secret from my father, I won’t have much time for this. Would you please do this much for me?”

It was Kibum’s turn to sigh. His best friend was still so set on pursuing his career in the music industry despite the circumstances. Well, Kibum presumed that he too would be as determined had he the capability of chasing his own dreams. However, being tied down by responsibilities left no options for Kibum but to put his dreams on hold.

“What exactly must I do, hyung?” Kibum asked for clarifications.

Jonghyun explained that he only needed to find six jobs for the men and let Jonghyun know. This way Kibum won’t even be directly meeting the military men and Jonghyun would take credit for his work, successfully hiding what he was really doing from his father. It was a win-win situation.

Kibum was convinced into it by Jonghyun’s pleading. How was it that he always ended up getting involved with the military? He would have to be extra careful about this since Jonghyun’s father finding out any of this would end badly for both of them. But Kibum was used to taking risks by now, thanks to a certain someone.

Kibum walked home, followed by that one annoyingly watchful man behind him that Jonghyun’s father hired. He was only doing his job but Kibum felt like it was unnecessary for him to protected like he was a princess or something when really, he was not that important. There were weaker villagers who needed more protecting than him.

Suddenly, a thought struck Kibum’s mind while thinking about his ‘bodyguards’. If everyone had one, then there would be no worries about threats of the Japanese army, right? All they had to do was be their own bodyguards; the youth could protect the elders, as could the men the women.

Kibum shook his head at his own baseless optimism as he to the pathway that led to his barn so that he could go collect the eggs. His village (or his country in general) was not ready to accept such a foreign idea of defending one’s self independently and even if they were, Kibum was definitely not the one to lead this kind of a revolution.

“I’m just going to...” Kibum faltered when he noticed that the man behind him was not concerned about what he wanted to do, simply making sure the surrounding was secure.

Kibum turned and walked to his barn. He pushed one door open to allow more sunlight to enter. He was, first and foremost, met with a foul smell. Kibum scrunched his nose while covering it with his hand, wracking his brain for what could possibly be the source of the rusty stench. A word crossed Kibum’s mind.

Then, Kibum took a step forward into the barn to have his suspicion proven correct.

In front of him, at the centre of the barn, above where the chickens were now freely clucking was something straight out of Kibum’s nightmares. He felt the bile rise to his throat at the sight of it.

Right where his lamp should be hanging, was a skinned cow dangling on a rope, dripping of fresh blood.

 

 

 

(A/N) So here's chappie 22 guys!!! Enjoy!!

I apologize for my lack of things to say (because I'm dead tired...) But I will say this- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMMENTING IN THE PAST CHAPTER!! It gave me the push I needed to complete this chapter but like I said, I still need your opinions to make a big decision... So those who haven't commented- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO!!!! I would really appreciate it!! :D

Thank you for reading and commenting!!! Have a good day guys!! <3