A half full glass

Not All's Fair in Love and War

 

Kibum’s eyelids felt as heavy as lead. He couldn’t summon the energy to even crack them open. The only reason he was awake at all was his biological clock telling him that it was morning. Kibum felt so exhausted and yet, so relaxed. He felt like he just woke up from a good dream after a really bad day. What had his dream been about?

Minho.

Kibum smiled thoughtlessly to himself, stretching his arms out. He was a little disappointed that he didn’t come into contact with anything warm. Just the empty space beside him on the bedding. What was he expecting anyway? It had only been a dream. It was too good to be more than his imagination.

“Are you awake, Kibum?”

Kibum jolted awake, his eyes fluttering open without much effort now. He blinked a few times before focusing on the figure that was sitting crossed leg beside him. Suddenly, everything that happened last night came rushing back in his memory. Kibum mentally cringed at the memory of crying like a baby on Minho’s chest (his still chest, that is.) What made him act like that last night? Kibum was so close to smacking himself on his forehead but he refrained from doing so.

“I didn’t mean to wake you. I thought yo-“

“No, no, it’s alright. I was waking up anyway…” Kibum said, avoiding any eye contact. He desperately looked for a reason to get away from Minho because he didn’t want to be seen like this, bedhead and grimy eyes, by the other.

“Well then, good morning….” Minho said, his voice soft. It intrigued Kibum to look at him so badly and so, Kibum did.

Beautiful. Such beauty that was all but human. Minho glowed in the morning sun that was rising behind him, shining through Kibum’s window. He radiated an aura of calmness, a contradiction to the tales the faint scars that adorned his chiseled shoulder blades told. Kibum never noticed it before, having never seen him up so close in the bright light.

“-might not be that nice… Kibum, are you listening?” Minho asked, bringing Kibum out of his stupor.

“What are you doing here Minho? Won’t the army be looking for you?” Kibum asked. He understood it would sound a little mean to ask in that manner but the words were leaving his mouth without much restrain right now.

“I’ll tell you again what I told you before Kibum. I don’t get into trouble for things like this becau-“

“-because your uncle’s the General…” Kibum finished for him.

Minho smiled a little. He reached out to touch Kibum’s hair but Kibum recoiled. Minho immediately stopped and retracted the hand, looking a bit awkward. Kibum started beating himself up mentally for doing that.

“I was just saying earlier that I tried to make breakfast for you. It didn’t turn out well. But I won’t say it’s inedible either. I just thought some food would do you good,” Minho said. He gestured to his side. Kibum followed his line of sight and saw a plate of what resembled a disaster involving eggs.  Is that supposed to be scrambled eggs? It looked like some of the bits were a bit too charred while some others looked uncooked.

All in all, it was the most appetizing dish Kibum had ever laid eyes on, for it was prepared by the hands of an angel. An angel that was sitting in front of him with a hopeful glint in his eyes to get an approval on his dish.

“I understand if you don’t want it. I’ll just-“ Minho started taking the plate away, seeing how Kibum was still speechless after a few moments. Kibum jumped for the plate with superhuman speed, making himself appear a madman in the process.

“Don’t touch my eggs!” Kibum said, realizing that it sounded so wrong a bit too late.

Minho beamed widely. Kibum was surprised to see such an honest expression because usually the other would have a mysterious look on that was so hard to decipher.

“Good. Eat up. Jonghyun hyung is waiting for us. We have to go see halmeoni!” Minho announced gleefully. His optimism of seeing Kibum’s grandmother although she was lying unconscious in the hospital made Kibum feel lighter at heart as well.

Kibum was already scooping the eggs into his mouth, not even bothering that he hasn’t brushed his teeth yet, in fear of the plate being taken away again. So when Minho mentioned Jonghyun, he almost choked on a few pieces of eggs.

“What? Jonghyun hyung is here already?” Kibum asked in shock. Did he wake up late or something? Where was he now?

Did he see the two of them together in bed like that?

“Yeah. For over an hour, in fact. He helped me in the kitchen too,” Minho said indifferently.

“Did he wake you up?”

“Yeah, he has a key to your house, right?”

“So he woke you up?” Kibum repeated dumbly.

“Yes, he did,”

“So he came in here?”

“He had to do that to wake me up Kibum…” Minho answered Kibum’s questions patiently. Kibum gulped, processing the information.

“Did he…” Kibum couldn’t bring himself to ask the question he was dying to ask. Oh god, what would Jonghyun have thought if he had seen the two of them like that.

“Did he what?” Minho cocked an eyebrow. Kibum shook his head, stuffing his mouth full of eggs to have an excuse not to speak. Now that he had a taste of food, he realized just how hungry he was.

“Did you want to know if he saw you snuggled up to me like a little kitten? If yes, then yes he did. He found it cute... So did I….,”

And Kibum really did choke on his eggs this time. He grabbed the glass of water, chugging it down to keep the contents of his mouth inside his mouth.

Minho looked satisfied with having caused this kind of a reaction from Kibum. However, the question only led Kibum to more awkwardness around the other. Confusion, too, for he didn’t know what to make of Minho’s sudden boldness to discuss…. sensitive issues so openly.

Quickly getting dressed up after that, Kibum hurried out of his room to meet Jonghyun. Minho was already outside waiting for him, wearing the shirt Kibum gave him last night. Jinki was there too, chatting with Minho quite animatedly.

“The army is… well, it’s not for everyone,” Jinki was saying, like the veteran army man he was. Minho just nodded seriously. Kibum remembered then that Jinki was not supposed to know anything about the British army hiding in Yongin. Minho was probably acting like a civilian right now to keep Jinki in the dark.

Speaking of acting like a civilian, what was his alibi for being connected to Kibum? He didn’t want to give away too much by coming up with a different story than what Jonghyun must have already told him. Amidst all these questions, there was one that was not so important that kept bugging Kibum.

Where was Minho’s rifle? Was it still somewhere in his room because he didn’t seem to be carrying it? (It was too big to hide under his clothes anyway.) Something about the thought of that weapon in his room left him feeling uncomfortable.

After a quick exchange of greetings between them, in which Jonghyun had cleverly slipped in the alibi he told Jinki (that Minho was Kibum’s close friend from Itaewon.) He had also taken care of the chores in the barn that Kibum had totally forgotten about the day before. Jonghyun could be smart when he wanted to but most of the times, he chose to be otherwise.

Soon, they were driving off to the hospital, Kibum and Minho being silent in the backseat while the other two chattered endlessly about this and that and nothing at all. Why wasn’t it as easy for him to communicate with Minho? Kibum figured that these things take time. But he was worried that it was time that he didn’t have.

 

She was smiling.

She was still connected to countless tubes. She still wore the hospital gown. She still looked so very pale. Yet, here she was, smiling at Kibum. Kibum’s hands were shaking and he feared breaking down like he did last night with Minho. But he controlled himself, not wanting to create a scene in the ward full of sick patients.

“Kibum-ah, are you alright? I’m so sorry for doing that to you…” his grandmother said and Kibum wanted to ask her so badly what on earth was she apologizing for. It’s not like she planned to faint like that, right? The tears he had worked so hard on suppressing sprang up again.

Minho took Kibum’s hand in his own, a gesture that was becoming more and more common between them and hence, less and less awkward. Kibum looked to his side and saw Minho give him a reassuring nod as if to say that ‘I am here for you.” Kibum hung dearly onto that to stay strong as he moved closer to his grandmother, Minho right by his side.

“Halmeoni, how are you feeling?” Kibum asked, her hair out of her face.

“I’m fin- Oh, don’t cry my baby…”

Kibum wiped his tears away stubbornly although more kept coming, just like a child would. He doesn’t know how long he stood there being consoled by his grandmother and Minho (if you could call squeezing his hand comforting, but it worked just fine for Kibum.) Then, after he was somewhat stable emotionally, Jonghyun and Jinki left to get something for all of them to eat. This left Kibum ranting endlessly to his grandmother about everything that happened thus far, up until last night (leaving out the details about the incident with Minho, of course.)

His grandmother listened patiently in her weak state. Kibum knew that he wasn’t bothering her by talking so much because she seemed assured that Kibum was not as weak as he appeared to be. Kibum was glad he was convincing someone because he sure as hell didn’t feel that way about himself. By the time Jonghyun came back with packed rice and kimchi stews, Kibum had almost (keyword being ‘almost’) forgotten that Minho was even in the room, for he had been so quiet the entire time.

The doctor came to do his rounds after lunch time. Kibum pestered the poor old guy with so many questions that he pushed the man’s patience to the limit. Kibum found out everything he needed to know, though. His grandmother had weak cardiac muscles which was probably caused by old age or just hereditary. Her heart had failed to pump rhythmically two days ago, causing her to faint after her brain did not receive enough oxygen supply. All of this could have been prevented had she been taking the medications that were supposed to make her blood flow easily without much pumping power of the heart.

Kibum felt guilty for not checking properly if his grandmother was taking her medications as advised. He should have known better than to trust his grandmother blindly because the woman wanted nothing more than to cause as little problems as possible to Kibum. He was like her in so many ways that he found it hard to even argue with her about this. Instead, he made a mental reminder to be more mindful of these things.

Later that evening, after taking care of his grandmother’s dinner and getting her cleaned, it was finally time to go back. Patients in the intensive care ward were not allowed to have visitors staying with them in their wards. Kibum was prepared to sleep in the hallway if that was what it took to be with his grandmother but apparently everyone else had a different idea.

“We’ll just stay here. It’s a two hours drive back and we’re both tired. And we’re coming back here in the morning anyway, so let’s just get a room and stay here tonight,” Jonghyun suggested.

“Yes, Kibummie. You can come see me in the morning again, right?” his grandmother reinforced Jonghyun suggestion.

Kibum saw the logic behind those words and agreed to it in the end, pitying Jinki and Jonghyun for having to drive such long distances so often. Minho didn’t seem to mind either. In fact, he seemed a bit delighted that he didn’t have to go back to the military base tonight.

“Aren’t you abusing your uncle’s power too much for your own selfish reasons? Don’t you feel even a little guilty?” Kibum asked Minho when they were in the car, once he was sure that Jinki wasn’t listening. They were looking for a cheap motel or lodge to stay for the night.

“Maybe. But then again, it’s not like I’m letting him down or anything since he never had high expectations for me anyway. I don’t feel guilty at all…” was Minho’s vague answer. Kibum opened his mouth to question him further, Minho’s inadequate answer only adding to his curiosity.

“Not now, Kibum…” Minho whispered, signaling that Jinki was now listening to their conversation. Kibum held his tongue, waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack the other with his questions.

They stopped at a small lodge that was not too far away from the hospital. The building looked really old but it also looked clean and tidy, the only reason Kibum agreed to even set foot into the place. After arguing for about ten minutes about who should room with who (Jonghyun persisting to stay with Jinki although Kibum wanted to share a room with him for obvious reasons.) Minho just stood by like he knew what was going to happen in the end. By the looks of his expression after that, he must have predicted right; that he would end up rooming with Kibum.

Kibum opened the door to the room, carrying the small duffel bag full of his clothes. The room was simple with two doors (probably the bathroom and a wardrobe) and very little furniture because there was only very little walking space left even like this. There were two single beds (thank goodness) separated by a small bedside table and a small two-seater couch and that was it.

“I’ll take this one,” Kibum said, rushing to the bed closest to him. He placed his bag on the bed and grabbed his toiletries to run into the bathroom. He did all this without sparing Minho a look because he suddenly felt awkward again. Especially when the thought he first had when he entered the building popped in his head again; that this place looked a like a perfect place for a one night stand.

Kibum took a quick shower, changing into his night clothes and getting through his bedtime routines just as quickly. When he came out, he planned on going to sleep straight away to avoid unnecessary awkward confrontations with the other, although he was dying to ask so many questions.

“Kibum!”

So much for avoiding the other.

“Yes?”

“Can I borrow another shirt and pair of pants? Because I obviously have nothing else to we- Unless, you prefer me being shirtless..” Minho said shamelessly. Kibum felt like smaking the other upside his head. What was he thinking, flirting like that with Kibum? Wasn’t he the one that suggested forgetting everything that ever happened?

“Here,” Kibum said, throwing another oversized t-shirt and his extra pair of trousers at him. Why he had so many oversized clothing was beyond him.

“Thanks,” Kibum heard him say as he climbed into his bed. Kibum switched off the bedside lamp just as he heard the bathroom door close. He closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep.

But he couldn’t.

He was awake right up until Minho was done in the bathroom. Kibum was hyperaware of everything that the other was doing although his eyes were closed. Minho seemed to have trouble finding his way in the dark, the bedside lamp having been the only source of light in the room earlier. He felt guilty for turning off the light.

“Ouch!” Minho semi-whispered in pain. Kibum couldn’t help the small chuckle that left his mouth despite the guilt he was feeling. He immediately covered it up by turning the other way.

Suddenly, he felt his comforter being tugged away as the space behind him on the bed became occupied. Kibum rolled around in shock.

“You know, it’s not very nice to laugh at other’s misery,” Minho said. He sounded so indifferent, like crawling into another man’s bed and hugging them from the back was a normal thing to do and was part of his routine all the time.

“Yah! What are you doing?” Kibum said, reaching over the body beside him to switch on the lamp. He couldn’t really see where the switch was and so he ended up pushing a few things down.

“Going to sleep…” Minho said.

‘Your. Bed. Is. Over there,” Kibum emphasized each word without meaning to as he flexed his fingers to reach the switch. He finally managed to in the end, filling the room with the sudden blinding brightness.

Kibum immediately regretted doing so when he saw the position he was in. In all his panic to switch on the light, he had climbed over the other and was now straddling the younger. Minho, on the other hand, seemed all too comfortable in this position.

“Yeah, but where’s the fun in that?” Minho asked, his tone sleazy.

“Fine, I’ll go then!” Kibum said, playing along to the other’s immaturity and climbing off the bed to get into the other one. Minho immediately sprang off the bed and went to lie on the other as well. Kibum took this opportunity to jump back into his bed and this time he made sure he had all his limbs spread out, leaving no space for the other.

“Kibum! That’s the oldest trick in the book! Why are you so childish?!” Minho asked playfully.

“That’s rich coming from you!” Kibum retorted, sticking out his tongue before falling into a fit of giggles at the silly expression Minho had on now.  Minho joined in on the laughter too.

“It’s nice to see you laughing again…” Minho said after a while, his words slowly bringing Kibum to a stop. He looked at the other, who was lying on his side looking right back at him. Kibum copied his posture, resting his head on his folded hands.

“It’s nice to see you again…” Kibum braved the statement out. He needed to get it out there. He knew saying something like that could make things bad again between them but the way Minho’s been acting, Kibum figured it would be alright to say this. Anyway, he could still write that off as just a friendly thing to say, if he needed to.

Minho’s expression became dark. He looked at Kibum with a forlorn look in his eyes.

“I’m sorry…” he whispered. Kibum heard the regret in his voice. There was no point in dwelling in the past, Kibum decided. All that mattered was that he had Minho here with him now, talking to him again.

“Minho?” Kibum called the military man.

“Yes?”

“Can I ask you something?” Kibum asked, preparing to continue the conversation from where he left it off inside the car earlier.

“You’re already doing that…” Minho said mischievously, trying to lighten up the mood. Kibum smiled.

“I know. Could I ask you another thing then?” Kibum tried again.

“But you’re al-“ Minho’s next sarcastic remark was muffled by Kibum’s extra pillow being flung at his face. Kibum was highly accurate at doing things like this.

“Okay, okay. What is it?” Minho asked, tossing the pillow aside while wearing the widest smirk Kibum has ever seen on the other.

“Do you not get along very well with your uncle?” Kibum asked cautiously. Minho’s smirk dimmed a little. He turned from his position on his side to lay on his back. He folded his hands underneath his head and stared up at the ceiling.

Had Kibum crossed a certain boundary yet again?

“It’s alright if y-“ Kibum started to say but Minho cut him off.

“He doesn’t like me very much. Never has since the day he took me in…” Minho said.

“W-why?” Kibum asked curiously. He wanted, no, needed to get rid of the sadness in Minho. The only way he could do that was to be a little nosy.

“Remember when I told you that my parents died in a fire? Well, I didn’t tell you that it was arson. Someone didn’t like the fact that my parents were an couple and decided that they didn’t deserve to live. The only reason I am alive is that I went out to play with a friend that evening. If I hadn’t….-“ Minho finished with a humorless laugh.

Kibum swallowed the bile that rose to his throat at the anger he felt for whoever it was that killed Minho’s parents. What a stupid reason to take someone else’s life? They didn’t like that they were an couple? How could people be so unreasonable?

“Then, a few things happened and I ended up living with my uncle who took me in for the sole reason that I was his brother’s son. You may ask then, how am I getting off the hook for every time I break the rules if he doesn’t like me. Well, the army men don’t know about our bad relationship and so they fear messing with the General’s nephew. That also meant all my misbehaving being kept a secret from him so I guess things worked out to my advantage. My uncle never cared about me. I was nothing but a proof of his brother’s stupidity of sacrificing his life for love….”

Kibum opened his mouth to say that Minho was in no way to be blamed for his parents’ death but Minho seemed to read his mind before he did.

“Don’t worry, I know it’s not my fault my parents died like that. I just wish that my uncle would look at me one day and see me as family and not a criminal. It just gets to your head sometimes, you know? That you are the reason your parents died. That you should have died with them…” Minho mused out loud.

Kibum understood everything that Minho said and he felt terrible for the other. To have your parents taken away and your only family left turn their back on you, must have been a lot to go through for such a young child. Kibum wanted to reach out and hug him and tell him that when all else failed, he would still have Kibum standing by him, if he wanted him to.

But Kibum couldn’t.

“I really admire my father. The things he did to be with the woman he loved, simply unthinkable even now. I read somewhere that a real man is a man that loves with all his heart. That makes my father the greatest man out there, doesn’t it?” Minho said proudly.

This was the billionth time that Minho has astonished Kibum. How did he always find a way to look at things positively even when there was nothing but tragedies happening around him? Kibum was beginning to learn from him that one can always find something good in a bad thing. Like how his own parents died. His father sacrificed his life for his wife and son, didn’t he? Why has Kibum never admired this before?

Kibum looked at Minho with a new kind of respect. One full of utmost love. His heart swelled with feelings that were just too much to contain. For once, Kibum looked past the fact that they were both guys and just saw how lucky he was to be in love with this man.

That’s right. Kibum loved Minho. There was no point in denying the fact anymore.

“I used to think that I would never have the courage to fight for love like my father. But I found a reason to. I think you know what I’m talking about Kibum…” Minho said suddenly. He had a flaming gaze on that was staring right into Kibum’s soul and setting it on fire.

Kibum had to look away before the fire consumed him completely.

“I d-don’t k-know Minho… I’m going to sleep…” Kibum chickened out of the conversation. Typical Kibum to be outspoken about little things and then, become a coward when it mattered the most. He rolled over to face the wall.

For the second time that night, Kibum’s comforter was tugged away roughly. Kibum jumped at the sudden action and froze instantly when he saw Minho’s serious expression.

Hands braced on each side of his head, face a mere inches away from his, the weight of his body resting fully on Kibum’s, Minho looked down at Kibum almost angrily.

This time, Kibum let the fire consume him through that angry gaze as he drowned in the presence that was Minho.

 

 

(A/N) Chapter 14 guys!! Hope you guys liked this seriously long chapter!! (especially that cliffhanger at the end... hehehehe... *gets bricked*)

Anyways, i.... um... I actually have nothing more to add since i went all out on my A/N yesterday... So..... :)

Thank you guys for reading and subscribing and commenting!!!! 

Have a good day people!!! <3

 

@shinestarsky~ Welcome aboard new reader!!! Wow 4 hours? I'm really flattered that I had you glued to your seat for that long!!! :D And yes please comment!! I love me some comments!!! Thank you for commenting and reading!!!! <3

@animegirlfan911~ Welcome my dear new reader!!! You don't know how happy your comment made me to know that my story had THAT kind of impact on you!!!! I try really hard to make Minkey all those things you said so it's good to know that people are actually seeing it... So THANK YOU for reading my work and leaving that really nice comment!! <3