Chapter 34

Ticket To Heaven

It had began to lightly drizzle as Mod slowly made her way down the empty street. She had no idea where to go it was as if she had lost all sense of direction. She felt broken…more broken than before. She had always wanted to stay away from killing herself, but maybe now that was the only way to free oneself from suffering. Mod had had enough of waiting, of watching, of feeling. She had never known Danson would have feelings for another person. He was straightforward, soft, loyal, and he never dared betray anyone. Yet why did he do that?

A million pieces of her heart she had always saved for him had now become useless. They were now just fragile fragments of her heart that would never be used. Jiro had been a small toy for her just to fill a small gap to save her pain, but every time she had looked at Jiro now he was in another world. His mind somewhere else thinking of that special someone. Why couldn’t she fall in love as easily as others? Why couldn’t her love be that easy? She felt jealous, she felt mad, but she knew reality. Her life would never be like that.

Mod felt even angrier when she tripped. Feeling tired she did not want to get back up to her feet. She wanted to scream out at the world and ask why was this happening to her. She gripped her hand into tight fists as she began banging her fists against the gray cement. Before she realized the pain the color red was beginning to seep from her fingers and mix with the rain.

“Mod!” the voice sounded familiar yet far.

Suddenly Mod felt someone pull her up to her feet. Her chest heavedd up and down heavily as she saw who it was. She extended her arm and sent a slap across Danson’s face leaving a trail of red on his skin. At first Danson didn’t notice until Mod glanced down at her hand seeming surprised at the blood.

“What happened?! Mod why are you bleeding?!” questioned Danson as he grabbed her hands.

“Leave me alone!” Mod shouted then mumbled. “Liar.”

Danson stared back at her realizing her hurt. Mod stared back at him and turned around to walk away. Danson’s heart pounded. He knew it was wrong but he felt a little happy knowing that she had thought of him at certain times during the years they were apart. Then another thought occurred to him. If he didn’t try to keep her now she would disappear again. He didn’t want to go through that again all those scenerios of her disappearing then re-appearing, it was a little too much for him to take. He remembered he’d cried when she left unknowingly. His pain…the torture of missing her, wondering where she could be, wondering if she was keeping herself healthy, wondering if she still loved him, wondering and wondering.

“Mod…” her name escaped his lips. Just saying her name felt good.

Danson started off at a run and didn’t stop until he was blocking Mod’s way. Her hair was drooping wet now. Standing in the rain made Danson worry because if Mod stayed out in the cold or rain too long she would fall into a deep fever.

Mod moved to her right, Danson moved to his right. Mod moved to her left, Danson moved to his left. Mod looked up at him annoyed.

“I thought I said…” Mod began but was cut off when Danson pulled her for a hug.

“I don’t care what you say,” Danson told. “You’re the liar. Who was the one that promised she’d never leave me? I believe that was you. I thought I was the coward…but you were the one who first ran. I just copied you by running away from my family, running away from reality, and last of all I ignored you. Even if you loved Jiro, even if you don’t want to be back with me, you’re still my Tyra. The only one for me that I’ll love.”

Mod let herself fall against him in the hug and out.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Selina was now sitting in one of the hospital chairs in the long white hallway with Wu Chun next to her. Before she had been sitting at home figuring how things would be if Jiro had come back home. That was until she had received a call from Wu Chun asking if she knew a Ken Ren. It turned out that one of Wu Chun’s cousins, a nurse, was treating a patient who had been in an accident and was in need of blood.

“Are you sure you can do this?” questioned Wu Chun worriedly. “You seem a little thinner from the last time I saw you.”

“I can. Trust me,” Selina replied without looking at him.

From all the years that Selina had to bear life alone with her mother she wouldn’t forget how hard they toiled. Her mother had always taught her that if someone was in need she would have to help no matter what. Don’t just stand back and watch because lending a hand wouldn’t hurt. Hearing about her father Selina wanted to help no matter what. Her father, though he had never been there, needed to live. Even if he still hated her Selina would be happy that she was able to help him in a part of his life.

“I’m all ready for you now,” the nurse said coming out of the room.

“Be careful ok, Penny?” Wu Chun said to his cousin.

The nurse smiled back and closed the door after Selina entered. Selina was seated in a chair very close to the patient. As the nurse explained the procedure Selina did not hear a word she said and as the nurse stuck the needle into Selina’s arm all she could do was look at her father’s face. He had not changed one bit, only some more wrinkles had appeared in his face making him look weary and tired. How had he lived, where he was living, did he work, who he lived with Selina wanted to know. Before she left she wanted him to wake up. She wanted to talk to him.

After the procedure was completed Selina asked if she could stay for a bit. Figuring since it was a father-daughter situation the nurse simply gave in and told Selina she could only stay for a few hours. Selina sat in the chair forgetting to feel exhausted as she watched her father breathe. An hour passed by when Mr. Ren started to awake. He moaned a little and moved his fingers as if trying to grab onto something.

“Dad,” Selina called.

At the sound of her voice Mr. Ren opened his eyes and looked all about the room. Realizingthat he was somewhere unfamiliar he quickly turned to see Selina staring at him astonished.

“Dad,” Selina calledd again with tears reaching her eyes. She couldn’t help it because it had been such a long time since she had seen him. The only father she had and the only man her mother loved.

“Who…” he began then suddenly his eyes widened, “why are you here? What are you doing here? Get out.”

“Dad,” Selina calleid again.

“I thought I saw Pete…” Mr. Ren said.

Selina looked at her dad with wet red eyes knowing he was still clinging onto that tragedy never forgiving Selina.

“I’ll tell mom I saw you,” Selina began, “I’m sorry dad.”