Chapter 21

Ticket To Heaven

“No it’s not true! It’s not true! It can’t be!” shouted Mod, tears approaching to her eyes.

“Look at that Jiro. We told you she’d be more hurt,” Pat told satisfied. “And as for your pretty dolly wife, she’s not even showing any emotion.”

Selina wanted to suppress her tears. She didn’t want to let them show finally understanding that Jiro was being blamed for all this. Everything Mod was going through was all Jiro’s fault. The reason of the fights were his fault. Selina had blamed everything on him when she should have been patient.

“Why? Why did you lie?! You promised me my ring!” Mod cried. “We were going to get together. Go back to our place. You would stay with me…we would go on with our future…”

Selina turned away from them quick tears making their way down her face. Disappointed with herself and feeling Mod’s pain she quickly walked away. She needed to leave, she couldn’t stay there any longer. She should give up her place to the rightful owner.

Wu Chun turned to look at the rest, “I’ll tell you Jiro, and I’ll be straightforward with you, maybe you can’t take care of Selina, maybe you don’t deserve her but I can guarantee that I’ll give her what you can’t.”

Aaron stared at them not sure of which way to go. As Jiro turned to him Aaron quickly muttered an apology and followed after Wu Chun.

“Selina!” they shouted as they tried to catch up to her, but they came to a stop as they watched her enter Danson’s car and before they knew it Selina was out of their sight.

“He came too?!” questioned Wu Chun. “Great!”

Selina sobbed as Danson drove off.

“What happened? Selina?” Danson asked. Selina just shook her head not able to answer. “I’ll give you a moment. I’ll take you somewhere.”

_*_*_*_*_*_

“You better take this chance to make up with her,” Pat ordered then he and Eric exited the room.

Jiro stood there staring at the doorway, he wasn't able to forget the sight of Selina's back. He moved his stare to the ground then turned to Mod who was silently sobbing. All he could say was sorry now.

“I’m still here,” Jiro managed to say.

Mod quickly turned to him giving him a tight hug.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Agreeing to Danson’s suggestion of going to the beach to watch the sunset in hopes of  calming down a bit Selina found herself sitting down on the sand quietly. Tears still dripped down from her eyes continuously. Danson sat beside her, but he didn’t turn to look at her. He figured she’d calm down in a bit then he’d come up with some jokes to cheer her up.

“I cried like a baby,” Danson said all of a sudden when the cold breeze came and the sun was lowering.

“What?” Selina asked confused.

Danson gave a small laugh, “It was nothing. My face puffed up and my eyes were swollen after I cried for a day.”

“How did that happen?” Selina asked.

“That’s old story,” Danson told.

“I don’t know where you’re going,” Selina said.

Danson gave a foolish smile, “I was just talking a bunch of junk to get stress off your mind.”

Selina turned away from him and stared out at the water feeling as if she was on the verge of crying again.

Danson was quiet for a second or so then an idea occurred to him, “Hey, you know what will help you feel a little better?”

Selina turned to look at him waiting for him to continue.

“Turn toward the water,” Danson directed, “this was something my ex taught me. It helps. Are you ready?”

“What are we going to do?” questioned Selina.

“Cup your hands around your mouth and scream,” Danson told.

Selina frowned, “Why?”

“I know I felt stupid the first time I did it but who cares. Remember you’re just doing this to feel better it doesn’t matter what others think,” Danson said.

“Ok…” Selina agreed. She did as she was told and opened but nothing came out. She tried a few more times then turned to Danson. “I don’t know what to say.”

Danson pressed his lips, “Like this.” He turned away from her to face the water, “Would anybody care to make this pretty lady here happy?! Crying doesn’t seem to suit her at all! Help me make her feel better!”

Selina looked at Danson with surprised eyes. Danson smiled back.

“Like that. Say whatever you want,” Danson added. “Try it. I know you can do it.”

Selina slowly turned toward the water again and was silent for a long moment. The waves were loud as they crashed against the sand.

“Mom! I miss you! I want to come back! Grandma! Grandpa! I wish you were here! I want you to tell me that everything will be ok! I want you guys to give me hugs! I miss it when you yell at me! Mom! Grandma! Grandpa! Can you hear me?! I miss you guys a lot! I want to come back!” Selina shouted. “I don’t want to feel lonely anymore!”

Danson watched as more tears dropped down Selina’s face.   

“So can you tell me why you’re crying?” Danson asked. His voice sounded so quiet, so comfortable, and silent to Selina even though she stood near him.

Selina wiped her tears away as she tried to make out her words, “It was a lie. Everything’s a lie. In a relationship you’re supposed to tell the truth...but he lied. Just when I wanted to get closer he distanced himself away from me, but why couldn’t he tell me before? I feel so bad. The spot doesn’t belong to me…I stole it. I feel so guilty to see her go through so much pain and she doesn’t deserve it. I don’t deserve him…” Selina’s shoulders shook and she sobbed loudly. “We don’t talk anymore, all we can do is say sorry and argue. I should have been a little more understanding, I should have seen how troubled he was…I never noticed it. All I wanted was for him to be there but I’m being too selfish. When she needs him more than me he should be there with her right? Danson am I right? Am I wrong?”

Danson felt so much sympathy for her the he didn’t know if it was right to hug her. As Selina’s shoulders shook Danson couldn’t help but want to comfort her. He extended his arms out and hugged her resting her head against his shoulder.

“It’s ok. It’ll be ok,” Danson assured.

On the drive back home Selina had fallen asleep but awoke a while later.

“Hey,” Danson greeted, “did you have a nice nap?”

Selina sat up in her chair and looked out of the window. They were on the highway and it was dark outside.

“Do you…have some space at your house?” Selina slowly asked.

“Hmm? How come?” Danson questioned.

“Is it ok if I spend the night? I mean…could you just think of it as a friend sleeping over…you know…” Selina uncertainly said.

Danson exited out of the highway and entered the city streets, “Don’t want to go home?” When Selina didn’t reply he loudly said, “Sure, buddy!”

Selina turned toward Danson, “Thanks.”

Danson had a spacious apartment. It seemed expensive and had a couple furniture laid out in the living room. Selina took in everything in the room and turned when Danson closed the front door.

“ There are some bedrooms down that hallway. You can pick out any room you want. There’s also another bathroom down there. While you take a look around I’m going to go take a small shower. Make yourself feel at home,” Danson smiledd and walked down the hall.

Selina heard a door shut and sat down on the long couch. Minutes later when Danson came out of the bathroom he found Selina asleep on the couch. Going to the closet he pulled out a blanket and walked back and covered her with it. Danson stared down at her remembering his ex. They seemed so alike it sort of pained his heart.

_*_*_*_*_*_

After she heard the door close Mod walked toward the window to watch as Jiro drove out of the parking lot. It didn’t matter if he was married Mod still wanted him no matter what. Love was a hard thing to push back and she had been destroyed by others before but Jiro was one thing she couldn’t leave behind. He knew clearly how she felt and he knew clearly how bad her last relationship was and he was the only one who had made her feel better. She understood how worried Jiro must be about his wife…but somehow in someway she would get Jiro by her side. His wife didn’t look at all too mean, so Mod figured that a small talk with Selina would solve everything.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro walked into his house to find everything silent and figured Selina had not come back. Maybe she didn’t want to come back, but no he knew her better than that. She was a loyal person, she’d come back no matter what. She would return to him, who was her husband by law. Jiro was pretty sure of that fact and if he had to he’d do anything to hold her back from leaving him. It hurt him whenever he thought of how hurt Selina must be. Pat and Eric had said too much.

Jiro slumped into a sofa deciding that he’d stay up to wait for when Selina would come back home. He would apologize and they would make up. Possibly even go back to the countryside where it would be quiet. No one would bother them because no one knew where Selina lived. Jiro smiled at that small possibility but little did he know that she would push him away when he tried to get close again.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Selina awoke in the morning when she smelled Chinese food being cooked in the kitchen. She sat up and looked around then threw the blanket off of her making her way into the kitchen. Danson was wearing a white apron and holding a cooking spatula in his hand.

“Smells good,” Selina complimented.

Danson turned back surprised, “You’re up. Sorry if I awoke you.”

“The food’s irresistible,” Selina toldd and sat down. “When will breakfast be served chef?”

After a quick breakfast Selina helped Danson with the dishes and learned a little more about him. Originally he had grown up in Australia and came back here to get away from his family who had torn apart him and his ex. She sat around with Danson for some time until the evening sun was in the sky. That was when she finally decided to get home and figure things out, if possible she would go back to the countryside and leave Jiro here in Taipei. Her grandparents and mother would worry, but she’d be able to come up with a lie.

“Thank you for comforting me. I’m sorry if I was being rude,” Selina aplogized and thanked him.

“Don’t worry about it,” Danson said, “call me if you have any more problems.”

Selina smiled and got out of his car then made her way up the steps and pulled open the door. When she stepped in she found Jiro asleep on the small sofa. Her heart softened and she wanted to go his hair. It took her a lot of courage to hold back and walk away. ‘You can’t…remember you can’t…’ Selina told herself as she made her way up the stairs.

She took a shower and changed into different clothes and tied her hair back into a ponytail hoping that with a new look she’d also start a different new day. When Selina got downstairs Jiro was still asleep. Selina began to walk away but there was a small knock at the door. When the door opened Selina could feel herself shatter inside as she saw who was standing there.

Mod smiled back calmly, “Hi.”

They were seated across each other at a small café just minutes later somewhere out of the house. Selina felt so powerless every time Mod was around.

“I hope you don’t mind my intruding,” Mod excused herself. “When Jiro got back last night I hope you two didn’t argue.”

“I didn’t go home last night,” Selina admitteid quickly.

“I see,” came Mod’s quiet reply then she went on, “I’m sorry. I had a nervous breakdown the other day. It happens every once in a while to me.”

Selina looked away from Mod’s face as she listened to what was being said.

“I know you’re Jiro’s wife. I know you two must have loved each other to marry…” Mod went on. Hearing Jiro’s name sent daggers into Selina's heart. “I’d like to be selfish for a while. I know this is wrong talking to you like this but can I please have Jiro for this time?”

Selina turned to look at Mod feeling tears well up in her eyes but she quickly pushed them back and took a breath.

“Have it your way. I’ve never really liked him,” Selina lied. “You can have him. Excuse me I have other things to do. I’ll be going first. Sorry if I was impolite.”

Selina pushed her chair back and quickly walked away. When she got back home she opened the door to find Jiro gone from the sofa. She closed the door behind her and took a step forward when she heard his voice.

“You’re finally back. Selina…” he began.

“I’m a little worn out.” Selina quickly lied and quickly walked up the stairs closing the door behind her as she got into the bedroom.

She could feel tears come down her face. Turning the faucet on she splashed cold water onto her face.

“No…no. You can’t feel for him,” she told herself aloud. “Don’t cry anymore. It’s over. You’ll be ok. You’ll find a way back home. Don’t cry. You can be strong. No one can see you cry.”

More tears dropped out and Selina found herself shrinking to the ground.

_*_*_*_*_*_

Jiro stared up the stairs after Selina hoping that she wasn’t avoiding him. ‘Cheer up Jiro! If you keep on being like this nothing will change. You’ve been ignoring Selina these past few days it’s time to pick it up and really apologize.’ Jiro sighed to himself and went into the kitchen.

Selina finally came down an hour later. Smelling the food she went into the kitchen to find Jiro preparing food as usual. She wanted to charge into the kitchen and sit down to wait for the food, but instead forced herself to calmly walk in.

“Just in time,” Jiro told. “Give me a moment I’m almost done with this last dish.”

Selina stared at all the plates in front of her. There were so many and they seemed so delicious, but Selina couldn’t let herself slip. She couldn’t start eating the food because she had already decided to push him to Mod then go back to the countryside quietly. Even if she would end up hurt she only wanted to get everything over with and leave the city. She was starting to despise Taipei, the big city she had loved at first sight.

As Jiro placed the last plate down and took a seat Selina snapped, “I don’t understand why you have to make so much food. You’re just wasting money if we have leftovers and why did you bring out so much plates?! Put them back where they belong.”

Jiro stared at Selina surprised. Selina tried to look back at him with anger in her eyes but all she wanted was to look away and run.

“Next time when I’m hungry I’ll cook for myself,” Selina told. “I lost my appetite. Enjoy your meal.”

Selina quickly exited the kitchen this time it was her leaving Jiro alone. Jiro sat in silence for a moment trying to replay what had just happened and tried to figure out why Selina had suddenly snapped at him. Though he was hungry he didn’t feel so much like eating. He put the rest of the food into containers and left them in the fridge. Jiro washed the plates and placed them back in the cabinets where he had found them feeling a little hurt at Selina’s attitude. He guessed that it was because she had never been so cold to him before and besides he had lied to her. Selina would have the right to be mad at him.