Chapter 15

Ticket To Heaven

“What is this?” Selina questioned confused.

Jiro gave a small laugh, “It’s a cell phone. Here, I’ll teach you how to use it.”

Selina listened carefully as Jiro taught her how to use the speed dials and where to store numbers and pictures. Afterwards Selina held up the cell phone amazed.

“Wow! I never knew such a thing existed,” Selina exclaimed then gave a small laugh. “I’m really lame huh?”

Jiro touched her soft hair and replied, “You’re a turtle.”

Selina laughed as she clutched onto the precious item tightly.

“I got a job at the electronics store downtown,” Jiro told.

“That fast?” questioned Selina.

Jiro nodded, “They needed a few extra employees fast.”

Selina felt a little sad knowing that they wouldn’t have much time to spend together to do the things they’d planned out, but on the other hand it seemed a little ok to her.

“When do you begin?” questioned Selina.

“I wanted to start tomorrow but they need me today…will you be ok being home alone?” questioned Jiro worried.

“Of course,” Selina told. “I’m not planning to go out so, I’ll just find other things to do.”

“Alright then,” Jiro replied. “I’ll get going.”

Selina smiled as he pressed her head gently and walked out of the kitchen. Selina bit her lip as he left. The truth was she didn’t feel so good being alone at the moment because the thoughts of her father and of Calvin really bothered her. She felt like she’d cry if she started thinking about them again.

“No, no,” Selina told herself, “I gotta find other stuff to do.”

Selina watched Jiro walk out of the door with a smile but as the door closed she dropped onto the couch helplessly. She sat for a while and got up deciding to clean the house a bit. After two hours or so Selina finally finished cleaning everything and rubbed her forehead with relief. Just as she was about to go upstairs for a small rest the doorbell rang. Wondering who it was she went over to the window to glance outside and saw Wu Chun standing on the steps. Her heart stopped for a moment.

“Why is he here?” she questioned.

Gulping she dragged her legs to the door and slowly unlocked it. The wind came in uninvitingly as the door opened. Wu Chun looked up and smiled.

“Hi, can I come in?” he questioned.

Selina stared at him for a moment and nodded holding the door open for him. Selina closed the door feeling half scared but the other part of her felt that it was alright for him to come in. With his hands stuck in his pockets he glanced around the house.

“This is a nice house,” Wu Chun commented.

“It’s my grandma’s sister’s house,” Selina replied. “She doesn’t really use it so she let Jiro and I use it for the meantime.”

Wu Chun nodded and looked at her over. Selina swallowed nervously wondering what he was thinking.

Wu Chun smiled as he noticed her expression, “I won’t do anything. I just wanted to apol…I wanted to say…”

Selina waited for him to go on but it just seemed that he couldn’t say what he wanted to say. Catching on Selina gave a smile deciding it’d make him feel better.

“It’s ok,” Selina told. “I…nothing happened so it’s ok. Lets just forget that matter.”

Wu Chun nodded understandingly but felt disappointed that he wasn’t able to say sorry.

“Jiro’s not home?” he asked.

“He went to work,” Selina replied.

“Work? He works?” Wu Chun asked then laughed. “He never worked before, man at least he’s improving in that area.”

Selina smiled becoming unsure of what to say next. The growling of Wu Chun’s stomach broke the silence and he glanced at Selina, his face almost turning red. Selina couldn’t help but let out a loud laugh and Wu Chun joined in a few moments later.

“Are you hungry?” questioned Selina. “We have some leftovers from breakfast.”

Wu Chun nodded as he followed her.

_*_*_*_*_*_

It was three and the sun was still happily standing outside. Deciding to take the walk home Jiro passed some food stalls. Smelling the good food he decided to go buy some of the food knowing it’d make her happy. When Jiro finally got back to the house he came to a short stop noticing the fancy car parked in front of his house. Jiro frowned quickly running toward the car and observed it for a few seconds then ran into the house. As the door flew open Jiro could hear two voices mixed together with laughter. Silently closing the door he walked in to find Wu Chun sitting on one of the sofas talking to Selina. Anger flared in him suddenly seeing that Selina was sitting with another man other than himself. JIr set the box down of food on the table loudly and grabbed Wu Chun.

“What are you doing here?!” Jiro questioned roughly.

Everything became silent as Wu Chun stared down at him and Selina turned to Jiro surprised.

“I asked you what are you doing here?!” Jiro repeated.

Wu Chun pushed Jiro away, “What’s your problem?”

Jiro lunged at Wu Chun again but stopped when Selina jumped in front of him. Jiro looked at Selina surprised.

“What are you doing? I could have hurt you.” Jiro told.

“What if you hurt Chun? He’s your friend too,” Selina pointed out.

“You’re defending him? Why? Don’t tell me you’ve gotten into a relationship with him all of a sudden,” Jiro said not even knowing what was coming out of his mouth.

“I didn’t come with any intentions alright?” Wu Chun said pushing Selina behind him.  

Jiro glared at Wu Chun, “I wasn’t talking to you.”

“Selina didn’t do anything wrong,” Wu Chun retorted. “You should try to be a little more understanding. What’s with your temper?”

Jiro’s expression disappeared and he bit his lip.

“Sorry, I don’t know,” Jiro told rubbing his eyes.

“Has that matter been bothering you?” questioned Wu Chun.

Jiro stared at Wu Chun silence entrapping them.

“What matter?” Selina asked now standing by Wu Chun.

They turned to look at her as if finally remembering that she was there.

“Oh nothing,” Wu Chun lied. “Tomorrow’s Eric’s birthday bash. He wants to invite the two of you to go. It’ll be at my house, so be there by 7 ok?”

“We’ll come,” Jiro replied.

Wu Chun glanced at them both then turned to Selina, “Bye.”

Selina nodded and watched as Wu Chun walked out and when the roar of Wu Chun’s car disappeared  Selina glanced at Jiro.

“Are you mad?” she asked.

“I was just worried he might be another Calvin,” Jiro joked.

Selina turned away from him becoming silent.

“Selina?” questioned Jiro.

Selina smiled weakly, “I…I feel a little tired so I’m going to sleep.”

As Selina went up the stairs Jiro felt as if that one invisible wall had come in between them once again.

The next day after Jiro had come back from work he and Selina had gone out to buy Eric a present and when it was close to 7 they headed for Wu Chun’s place. It wasn’t crowded as they expected, just Wu Chun, Eric, Aaron, and Pat who were all there. Selina and Jiro were welcomed happily.

“Aww…you bought me a present?” Eric said. “That’s so cute of you Selina.”

“Hey, hey don’t just focus on her,” cautioned Jiro playfully. “I’m as hot as Selina, don’t you agree?”

All the guys made noises and turned away from him gathering around Selina to ask her questions.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Jiro said reaching in for Selina, “gotta remember she’s married.”

“Am I interrupting?” questioned a feminine voice suddenly interrupted.

Everyone turned to see a woman with brown hair that reached her shoulders. Her eyes were small, but pretty and pouty lips stood out on her face adding to her feminine appearance. She was wearing a green sweater, a t-shirt underneath, and brown capris. Jiro’s heart thumped suddenly unsure of what to do unconscious of the fact that he had let Selina’s hand go. Everyone else’s smiling face seemed to drop except for Selina. As the woman’s eyes dropped upon Jiro an unexplainable expression of sadness and pain dropped on her face.

“Jiro?” she said.

By now Selina had stopped smiling as she turned to look at Jiro wondering what was going on. As the girl’s body hit the ground everyone rushed toward her but it was Jiro who first reached her shouting her name, Mod.