In Another Life;

The One That Got Away [oneshot]

--; Never planned that one day I'd be losing you.

 

Soojung sat quiet and motionless in the driver's seat. She heaved a sigh as she ran a hand through her hair, a small bittersweet smile appeared on her face as she remembered how much he loved doing that to her.

"You idiot..." She stared blankly at the steering wheel, trying to decide if she should go or not. After a few minutes of agozining silence, she inserted the key into the ignition and gave power to the car. Deciding that she shouldn't back out from him. She had to go there. She needed to be there.

The rain started to pour as she backed out of the driveway and drived through the neighborhood and into the highway. Slowly, all the memories of them together all crowded in her head.

 

 

 

 

"Stop bickering!" Jinri sternly said as she glared at the two people sitting on both of her sides, "Gosh, I think I'm gonna go deaf!"

"It's not my fault!" Jongin stuck his tongue out, "Besides, Miss Ice Princess here started it!"

"Yah!" Soojung glared at him, sending shivers down his spine, "Who's the guy who forgot to bring an umbrella after I texted him to do so?!"

"It's not my fault that the text came in late, blame the phone company or something!"
"I'm tired of hearing your lame excuses, I bet you were flirting with that girl from next door again!"
"What are you talking about?!"
"Oh come on, don't play innocent and just admit it! I've seen you flirt with her so don't lie to me, Kim Jongin!"

Jinri couldn't take it anymore. She put her hands up to her ears and stood up, "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" She glared even more, "Stop acting like you guys are 10, you're both 23 years old for Heaven's sake!"

"Sorry..." both Soojung and Jongin mumbled.

Jinri huffed and turned her back from the two and just stared at the wet pavement in front of her. "It's a good thing there was a bus stop near us... Let's just wait for the bus to come."

Jongin and Soojung were both quiet. Jongin would steal glances at Soojung from time to time. It was true that the text came in Jongin's phone late and by the time he had received it, he was inside a cab, watching the rain pour.

"Soojung-ah~" Jongin moved closer to her and filled in the gap between them. "I'm sorry." Soojung ignored him.

"Come on, I said I was sorry!" He pouted, Soojung gave him a blank stare, "Please? Forgive me? And you know very well that I won't cheat on you with my neighbour!" He made a face, "She's not that pretty anyway... You're much more beautiful and talented." Jongin smiled sincerely.

"Lies!" Soojung muttered, but there was a smile on her lips.

"Do you forgive me now?" He asked as he grabbed her left hand and intertwined their fingers, Soojung gave him a nod and pecked him on the cheek.

Jinri made a face too as she watched the two reconcile. She shook her head and pretended to barf, "I need a boyfriend..."

 

~*~*~*~*~

It was a fine afternoon during spring, the flowers were all in bloom and the birds were all singing their songs cheerfully at a park somewhere in Seoul. Jongin was lying down on a picnic blanket with his head resting on his girlfriend's lap. Soojung was busy reading an English novel and with her other hand running through Jongin's hair. Both of them were pretty satisfied with the atmosphere surrounding them.

"Soojung-ah..." He called out in a whisper, but Soojung heard him.

She put the book down and stared at him with loving eyes, "Hm?"

He hesitated at first, "Do you... want to move in with me?" Jongin was nervous and it was obvious from the way he talked.

Soojung stared at him with her usual blank stare which made the latter more nervous. What if she didn't like the idea? What if she completely loathed his suggestion and she'll end up breaking up with him? What I--

"I'd love to." There was a smile on her beautiful face, the smile that Jongin loved the most. The one that made his days complete. The one that would make him weak and strong at the same time. Jongin smiled too, his smile reached his eyes as he sat up and hugged her really tight.

 

~*~*~*~*~

Soojung held on Jongin's hand tightly as he leads her through an unknown path. The ground that they were both walking on was rocky and she knew that if she wasn't holding on to him she would've tripped and hurt herself pretty bad. She cursed in her head about how Jongin wanted her to walk with blindfolds on in this kind of path.

"Are we there yet?" She hissed, it was obvious that she was pretty pissed off. Jongin chuckled.

"Almost, babe. Almost." He said sweetly, she groaned.

"Where are you taking me anyway?" She asked curiously, but her voice had hints of annoyance.

"It's a secret. I only found out about this place a couple of days ago when Sehun showed me. I'm sure you'll love it." She knew that her most favourite heart-stopping crooked smile was lingering on his gorgeous face.

"We're here..." She heard him say. Slowly, she felt the blindfold being removed. She blinked a couple of times before she looked at where they were and instantly she gasped. Right in front of her was the night view of Seoul. "Beautiful..." She whispered.

"I knew you'd love it." Jongin smiled widely and squeezed her hand.

"I think I love this place more than you!" Soojung exclaimed.

Jongin pouted and nudged her, "Yah~ you don't mean that, right?"

She grinned cheekily and nudged him back, "Relax, I was just kidding! I love you more than anything else~" She gave him a short but sweet kiss on the lips and went back to staring and admiring the beautiful view right in front of her. Jongin smiled even more and wrapped an arm around his girlfriend's waist.

After a few minutes of standing there, admiring the view and teasing each other, both of them were silent. Jongin would glance at Soojung from time to time.  Finally, he cleared his throat and whispered to Soojung.

"Soojung-ah...?"

For some reason, the hair from Soojung's neck stood up and her heart was suddenly beating fast. She looked at Jongin and her heart skipped a beat. He was looking at her with a soft and loving gaze. "Y-yes?" She managed to say.

"I love you... so much." Jongin's gaze didn't falter. "You love me too, right?" Soojung nodded instantly.

Right then and there, Jongin knelt down before her on one knee and pulled out a small velvet box from one of his jacket pockets. Soojung stared with wide eyes.

"Jung Soojung... You know how much you mean to me... I can never live without you. I've spent 5 years of my life loving you with all my heart and soul and I'll continue to love you eternally..." He paused and opened the box, revealing a ring with a small diamond in the centre. "Soojung-ah... Will you marry me?" Jongin's heart was beating really fast and he felt like he couldn't breathe. He continued to stare up at Soojung's eyes.

Soojung had a surprised expression on her face which made Jongin more nervous.

"Jongin-ah..." He was expecting her to slap him in the face and shove him away while saying no and how she's not ready for marriage yet but instead, he found her suddenly on her knees and hugging him tightly as she sobbed.

"Y-yes, of course i'll marry you!"

 

~*~*~*~*~

Soojung and Jongin were both sorting out all the people that they were inviting to their wedding. Family members, close friends, high school and college friends, co-workers, etc. It was already 12 AM and Jongin hasn't had a good night's sleep for almost a week now because of wedding preparations and work. He sighed as he stared at all the papers scattered on the coffee table in front of him. He looked up at Soojung as she wrote down in a small notebook.

"Are we gonna invite Myungsoo?" Soojung asked without looking up from what she was doing.

By the mention of Soojung's ex-boyfriend, Jongin suddenly got pissed and his mood suddenly went bad. "Why invite him?" He tried not to sound like a jerk but he failed. Soojung looked at him with furrowed eyebrows and questioning eyes.

"What do you mean? He's a friend." Soojung reasoned.

"Some friend..." Jongin rolled his eyes and looked away.Soojung shook his head and just went back to writing.

"You're even inviting that 'friend' of yours anyway..." Soojung muttered quietly but Jongin heard it. He knew that she was referring to Hyeri, who he dated too when he started dating Soojung. Jongin bit his lip and stood up. He was mad.

"Do you really have to go there, huh?" He glared at her. Soojung glared back.

"I'm not saying anything, it's not my fault that you're so affected by her." She said calmly.

Jongin frustratedly ran a hand through his hair and raised his hand to slap Soojung, but he stopped, realizing how bad it was to do so. It might ruin his life and everything else. He couldn't hit her.

"Go ahead." Soojung said, with her calm voice. "Hit me. Beat me up. Kill me if you want." She stared at him with eyes burning with anger.

"Soojung." He managed to say in a low voice.

"What? You can't do that? Why? You should. So you can go back to her and live a happy life. Now I'm even wondering why you asked to marry me." She looked at Jongin with eyes that were saying 'Are you really serious about this?'. She stood up and turned around to go to their bedroom.

"Sooju--"

"What?!" She asked with her voice raised, "What? You know, if you weren't serious about this you shouldn't have asked me to marry you!" Tears were forming in her eyes.

Jongin let out a frustrated yell, he needed to cool down, he needed fresh air. He turned around and grabbed his jacket from the sofa and left the house.

Soojung just stood there, with her eyes staring at where Jongin was previously standing. Tears slowly rolling down her cheeks.

Jongin was running. Running as if there was no tomorrow. The rain felt good as he dashed through the streets and tried to calm himself down. He stopped by a tree and sat down. He stared at the ground as he tried to breathe evenly and normally.

"You idiot..." He slapped himself, "Why'd you have to do that!" He angrily said to himself.

He stayed there for 15 minutes, sorting out all the things that were in his head. He shouldn't have snapped at her like that. He knew that she was stressed out too, so why did he have to be like that to her? He stood up and wiped the tears and raindrops on his cheeks. Slowly, he started to walk back to their apartment.

He was thinking of words to say to Soojung. Words to make her realize how wrong he was and how much of a jerk he acted towards her. He needed to say sorry. He reached the curb near the building and stared at it. "I'm sorry, Soojung..." He said as he took a step forward and started to cross the street.

There was a sudden crash and a scream from nearby was heard. The smell of blood and something burning surrounding the place, and the sound of sirens can be heard.

A bittersweet smile appeared on Jongin's lips as he realized what had happened. Slowly, he closed his eyes, "I'm sorry..."

 

Everything went black.

 

 

 

 

Soojung parked the car and grabbed an umbrella and the bouquet of flowers from the passenger seat. She stared up ahead and took a deep breath. She got out of the car and headed towards the place where she would go when she was missing him and needed to feel his presence. Jongin's grave.

"I'm here again..." She whispered. "Jongin-ah... How are you? I've been good... You know, been doing the usual... I've been helping around with Sooyeon unnie and Jonghyun oppa... They have a baby now and he's so beautiful." She tried hard not to cry, but her body betrayed her and tears were slowly rolling down her cheeks without her realizing it.

"They named him Kai... and he's so cheerful as a baby." She smiled sadly, "Maybe if you didn't leave... we'll have one of our own now, huh?" She sobbed. "I miss you... Every day I would reach out my hand and feel the space on the bed where you used to lie down and try to see if you were there... Try to confirm if I was just dreaming about everything... But of course..." She let out a small but sad laugh.

"Today I woke up doing that too, and I realized what day it was today..." She put down the flowers and continued to sob. "It's been a year since you left me... Funny how time flies so fast, huh?" She knelt down, not caring if her pants were getting wet.

"Jongin... Why'd you have to leave me... What about all our promises... All the things we said that we'll both do together, huh? You said you won't make me cry and you said you won't leave me..." She put the umbrella down, making the rain pour down on her, drenching her with the sky's tears. "That night, I shouldn't have said all of those things to you. I'm sorry..."

She cried harder and touched the thumb stone, "I should've made you stay..."

 


: : Author's Corner : :

Hey, subscribers! 

What did you think about this?

For me, the ending's a bit disappointing...
Ehehe, I hope you guys like it though! I actually cried while writing this one... It's heartbreaking.

Comment and tell me what you think!