Story 1~ The End of Summer Social, Part 3

Mystic Institute ~ Sumgida Kyegok

a/n: here it is. the third part. More characters. sorry it's a little boring. the next part will be the last. maybe I'll have a poll for you about the next story I do for this. (if I can figure it out...) Anyway, the last of the characters (i.e. the rest of SHINee and EXO) will be in the next part. The other OCs will be revealed throughout the next few stories.

 

“Wow…” Minhyun said as he and Ren sat in their the classroom of their first class. “So you have a girl roommate?”

“Yeah,” Ren sighed, scribbling on his notepad.

“What’s she like?”

“Well, she’s friendly. And she’s a witch and I’m pretty sure she knows alchemy too. And she has a black cat familiar named Nightshade that seems to really like me. And she’s forthright and striaght forward. She just waltzed into my room and introcuded herself.”

“She sounds nice,” Minhyun smiled.

“I guess. Especially since I told her my powers.”

“Oh? You never reveal your powers that quickly. She must really be something special.”

Ren shrugged. “She seemed trustworthy. And she thought my powers were cool.”

“Did you tell her about…you know…when you touch people?”

Ren looked up at Minhyun. “Of course not. I’ve never told anyone about that. I’m not about to start now. That would just cause problems.”

Minhyun gazed at Ren sympathetically as the late bell sounded and the teacher at the front of the class turned away from the blackboard to start class. He turned as well and focused on what the teacher was saying.

Forty-five minutes later, class was over and Ren and Minhyun part ways and headed to their next class. Ren clutched his notebooks and textbooks to his chest and quickly strided down the hallway. He was heading down the stairs to the first floor when, seemingly out of nowhere, a boy with blonde streaks in his short black hair appeared in front of him, smiling at him.

“Hi there!” he said.

“Um…Hello…” Ren noticed the boy had a small field mouse on his shoulder. “Um…There’s a…mouse…on your shoulder.”

The boy turned to look at his shoulder. “Oh yeah.” He picked it up and held it out to Ren. “This is Pipsqueak.”

“Er….” Ren backed away. “Right. Why do you have a mouse in school?”

“Because that’s my power! I can talk to animals! My name is Sung Yaejin! What’s yours?”

“Choi Minki, or just Ren,” Ren said as he inched around the boy, keeping far away from his pet mouse. “Well, I have to get to class so-”

“Me too!” Yaejin said, following him. “Let’s go together!”

“I’m not sure you and I have the same class now,” Ren tried to bribe his way out of going to class with Yaejin.

“I have Algebra one next! What do you have?”

Ren almost stopped dead in his tracks. Instead, he sighed. “The same.”

“Daebak!” Yaejin skipped to class along side Ren. “You’re a cat, aren’t you? Or partly at least.”

“Yes. And you could tell this because you can speak to animals?”

Yep! Yaejin’s voice sounded in his head. He whipped around to face the smiling boy. And I also know that you can see into people’s minds when you touch them, but you don’t like to tell that to people because you’re afraid they might-

“Stop doing that! I’m not some animal you can play with!” Ren snapped at Yaejin. The boy’s smile disappeared. “And don’t ever say that aloud!”

“Sorry…” Yaejin said timidly, his hands behind his back and his eyes on his feet.

Ren sighed and rubbed his temple. “It’s okay. Just don’t tell that to people. And warn me next time you want to speak to me like that. Alright?”

Yaejin smiled again and nodded. “So, can we be friends?”

Ren was taken aback. “You mean…you actually want to hang around me knowing that I could find out all your deepest secrets with just a touch?” Yaejin nodded. Ren was so surprised that he actually laughed. “Alright. Come on. Let’s get to class.”

Yaejin happily followed Ren as they quickly made their way to class.

 

 

“Damn it!” Kim Jongin swore as he raced through the doors of the elective building and down the hallway. “Late on my first day at a brand new school! How stupid and lame is that?!”

He looked at his map. His class was on the third floor. He’d never make it there in one minute. He’d have to get there by other means.

I hate doing this not knowing where I’m going, but here it goes!

He took a deep breath and cast himself into darkness and oblivion and reappeared in a different hallway. He looked at the number 3 displayed by a stairwell nearby. He smiled. Good. He’d make it. He raced down the new hallway and rounded a corner only to nearly run into another student with short black hair and blue streaks running for his life.

“Almost late to the second class on the first day. Kinda huh?” the boy said, falling into step with Jongin.

“Tell me about it. What class?”

“English. You?”

“Same. Came from the main building. They expect me to get all the way over here in ten minutes?”

“No kidding.” The boy smiled at him. “Lee Kyungjae. Call me Jay for short.”

“Kim Jongin. Call me Kai.”

“Well Kai. Let’s finish the home stretch.”

Kai nodded.

They got there just as the late bell rang.

“Good morning, students. Please take the last two seats here in the front,” the teacher, an American man with blonde hair said.

Kai and Jay took the seats and the teacher began to start a “first day” lecture. Jay turned to Kai. “How’d you get here on time? Teleport?”

“Yeah, actually.”

Jay raised an eyebrow. “Really?” Kai nodded. “Wow. I was just kidding, but…Wow. Cool.”

“What about you?”

“Me? I ran.”

“You lie! No you didn’t! There’s no way!”

Jay gave Kai a conceited smirk. “Being a wolf pays better than some might expect.”

“You’re a wolf? Like a werewolf?”

“Yep. But I prefer ‘blessed with the spirit of a noble beast’.”

“Sound’s like you’re trying to justify a curse,” Kai snorted. Jay shrugged. “How fast can you run?”

“Honestly?” Jay smirked again. “Faster than the police’s scanners can track me.”

Kai laughed at Jay’s arrogant and narcassistic comments.

 

 

A few hours passed and it was lunch time. All the students poured into the cafeteria once more. Ren and Minhyun had gotten their lunch and had sat down at an empty table.

“Ahh! Finally! I’m starving!” Minhyun sighed as he immediately dug into his macaroni and cheese. He sighed again at the taste. “Wow. I’ve never had school food this good before.”

“I’m just glad we’re having a break from classes. My head hurts like hell,” Ren said as he downed two pills with his cola. “This boy named Sung Yaejin was sticking to me like glue too. Talking to me like I’m his pet cat. Aish!”

Minhyun nearly spat out his dessert (banana pudding) as he laughed. “What?!”

“This kid that can speak to animals. He knew that I’m a feline entity and thought he’d demonstrate his powers.” Ren sighed. “Anyway how was your-”

“Hey! Look who it is! It’s Ren!” Ren turned to see a two familiar faces scurrying over to his and Minhyun’s table. It was JR, the boy who ran into him this morning, and his friend. “We meet again! How has your day been so far?”

“Agrivating,” Ren said as JR and his friend sat down. “Who’s your friend by the way?”

“Kang Dongho! Nice to meet ya!” the boy smiled as he scarfed down his chili and cheese nachos. “But you can call me Baekho!”

“And who’s your friend, Ren?” JR asked, smiling at Minhyun.

“I’m Hwang Minhyun, Ren’s childhood friend,” Minhyun smiled back.

“Nice to meet you!” Then JR turned towards the crowd of students coming out of the lunch line. “Oh, hey! There’s that one guy from my last class. Hey! Over here!”

A boy with big dark eyes and partly shaved hair looked around like JR must have been talking to someone else. He was wearing a black and brown jacket, a white dress shirt with a loose tie, black jeans with silver chains, and white high tops. He was dressed like he expected this to be a uniform school. He looked behind him and pointed to himself.

“Yeah! You! Come sit with us!” JR called.

The boy shrugged and came over. “You’re from my last class.”

“Yeah. You seemed like you needed someone to hang with so you can hang with us!” JR smiled his priceless smile.

“Really? I thought I looked pretty confident.”

JR shook his head. “It was obvious to me.”

“Yah! JR! Stop poking into people’s heads!” Baekho warned.

“You’re psychic?” Ren wondered.

“Yep. Telekinesis, telepathy, mind controling, the works. I can do all of that stuff.” JR turned back to the boy. “So what’s your name?”

The boy grinned. “Couldn’t you just read my mind?”

“I could, but I’d rather not.”

The boy laughed. “I’m Kwak Aron.”

“An English name? Are you from the states?” Minhyun asked.

“Yes. I’m from Los Angeles.”

“Cool!” Baekho said. “I’m Kang Dongho, you can call me Baekho. This is Kim Jonghyun, or JR. And those two are….What are your names again?”

Minhyun laughed and Ren rolled his eyes. “I’m Hwang Minhyun and this is Choi Minki, or Ren.”

“Nice to meet you all,” Aron bowed.

“So what are your powers?” JR asked.

“Ah, well…”

“It’s okay. We’re not judging anyone.”

“….I can possess others, switch their mind with mine, and control them. On the lighter side, I can sort of control the mood of the atmosphere.”

“So you’re like a ghost, except you’re not dead?” Baekho wondered.

“Er…Sort of…I guess.”

“And you could make a whole group of people cry by changing the mood that’s going around?”

“Baekho! That’s kind of mean, don’t you think?”

“I was just wondering.”

“Yes, but, like JR said, I’d rather not.” Aron glanced at everyone but JR. “What about you three? What can you do?”

“I can copy others’ abilities,” Minhyun said.

“I can see what others are going to do and can spot weak points and openings in a fight. Plus I’m super fast!” Baekho raised his hand.

“You mean like clairvoyance?” Aron asked.

“Yeah, like that.”

Aron turned to Ren. “What about you?”

Ren hesitated. “….I can…see in colors and auras…and I’m a feline entity. And I supposed I have a similar clairvoyance ability to Baekho’s, only different.”

“How so?”

“It’s…hard to explain.”

“He can see other’s thoughts and memories when he touches others,” JR announced. Ren’s head whipped around to JR and everyone was quiet save for the others around them. JR frowned. “Uh oh…I said something I shouldn’t have…Sorry.”

Ren glared down at his plate of untouched spaghetti and meatballs.

“Really?” Baekho said suddenly. He stuck his hand out. “Do it to me!” Ren leaned back and shook his head. “Oh come on! It’s harmless isn’t it?”

“Yes, but I don’t want to see something I shouldn’t.”

Baekho shrugged. “I’ve got nothing to hide.”

Ren gulped and lightly touched his hand to Baekho’s…and was thrown into darkness.

He stood in a small room with a bed against a window, an oak dresser, a blue throw rug and several posters and pictures covering the walls. Several random belongings were strewn out all over the floor. The atmosphere was sad, meloncholy, angry, and lonely. And there, sitting on the bed, was a much younger Baekho looking out the window. He was no older than ten. He looked exactly the same, save for he was shorter and his hair was its natural black color. Ren inched forward and looked out the window.

Next door was a large white moving truck with several men moving funiture out of the house and into the truck. A boy and a girl about Baekho’s age stood down on the sidewalk near the fence, watching as the movers took their things out of their house and into the truck. The girl looked up and noticed Baekho. She waved and her brother noticed and waved as well. Baekho waved back sadly. Then, suddenly, a woman who must have been their mother came out and ushered the kids over to a car and they drove away shortly after. Baekho moved away from the window and continued to sulk.

Then Ren was back in the cafeteria staring at the present day, curious Baekho, his hand still pressed to Baekho’s.

“You still miss your best friends that moved away when you were ten,” Ren announced.

Baekho’s eyes widened as he dropped his hand. “Whoa….” His expression was surprise mixed with astonishment. “I haven’t thought about them in years. Their parents made them move because they found out about my powers.”

“See? It just causes trouble and pain,” Ren stood up to leave but Minhyun grabbed his arm.

“No! Ren! It’s okay! It was just a harmless memory!”

“Right….Harmless…” Ren mumbled, unconvinced.

“Minhyun’s right, Ren,” Baekho said. “I’m not even bitter about that anymore.”

Reluctantly, Ren sat down again.

“If it helps,” Aron said, “I’m not too proud of my powers either. I only use them when it’s absolutely necessary. And even then I sometimes do it by accident when I bump into someone. I understand how you feel. It’s scary and wrong being inside someone else’s mind. For you and the other person.”

Ren looked into Aron’s sympathetic eyes and nodded. “Thank you.”

 

 

Lay and Chen were sitting in the cafeteria enjoying their lunch already when Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Sehun came up to them.

“Hey!” Chanyeol greeted them with a smile. “Can we sit with you two?”

Lay and Chen looked at each other and smiled at them. “Sure.”

“Thanks!” Chanyeol pointed to the others when they sat down. “I’m Park Chanyeol and this is Oh Sehun and Byun Baekhyun.”

“I’m Kim Jongdae and this is-“

“Zhang Yixing. If you can’t say Yixing you can just call me Lay.”

“‘Lay’?” Sehun wondered.

“Don’t ask.” Lay glared at Chen. “It’s a stupid story.”

“What about you, Jongdae? Do you have a nickname?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yep. Mine is Chen. Lay gave it to me.”

“So, since everyone here has special powers, what can you two do?” Chanyeol asked.

“Chen has the element of lighting and I have healing powers,” Lay said.

“Hey. You’re kind of like Baekhyun hyung, Chen. He has the element of light,” Sehun smiled.

“Cool. Maybe we have some kind of spiritual connection,” Chen grinned and wiggled his fingers at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun laughed. “Don’t count on it.”

“And what about you two?” asked Lay.

“I’m a phoenix entity and have the fire element.” Chanyeol pointed to Sehun. “He has the wind element.”

Lay’s eyes widened. “Phoenix? You mean like the Fenghuang? A real phoenix?”

“Yep!” Chanyeol nodded proudly. “Pretty cool, huh?”

“Pretty dangerous,” Lay sighed, astonished. “Promise you won’t set the school on fire?”

Chanyeol laughed. “I’ll do what I can.”

“Hey,” Chen said suddenly. “We should all hang out during the social today!” He turned to Lay. “And Kris hyung will be there too.”

Sehun smiled at Baekhyun. “Luhan will be there too! And so will Suho!”

Baekhyun turned to Chen and Lay. “Sure. Why not?”

 

 

Pretty soon, lunchtime ended and everyone head back to their classes. Kai and Jay had their first class after lunch together as well so they walked there together. They walked into their Chemistry class and sat down at a table.

“Ah,” Jay sighed. “Chemistry. Exploding volcanoes and multicolored flasks. Gotta love it.

“Not good at Chemistry?” Kai asked.

“Not. One. Bit.” Jay scoffed. “I’d have my tail cut off sooner than I’d earn a passing grade in this class.” His eyes cast to the side passed Kai. He nodded. “I’d pass maybe if I had his powers.”

Kai looked to the side. Sitting in the seat nearest to him at the next table over was a boy with short black hair and big, dark eyes. He was slouched back in his seat and had one hand in his pocket; the other was circling two fist sized rocks…in the air. Mesmerized, Kai watched him control the rocks’ movements without even touching them.

“You have the earth element…” Kai said out of impulse.

The boy turned to him. His fingers stopped moving, his hand motionless, but the rocks kept spinning around each other. “Uh…Yeah…”

“What’s your name?” Kai nodded to him.

“Do Kyungsoo, but I prefer DO.” DO nodded back at Kai. “You?”

“Kim Jongin. Call me Kai. This is Lee Kyungjae, or just Jay.”

“Hey,” Jay raised his hand in greeting.

DO just nodded. “So what are you two?”

“I’m a wolf and Kai here is a teleporter,” Jay said.

Again, DO nodded. “Cool.”

“Are you going to the social today?” Kai asked.

DO shrugged. “Maybe. I really don’t know anyone here.”

Jay laughed. “That’s the point. To meet other people here. Why don’t you come with us?”

For a long moment, DO looked at them, contemplating. He turned back to his rocks. “Maybe.”

Kai looked at Jay and Jay shrugged. Kai turned away and glanced at the clock on the wall above the blackboard. It was only a couple of hours till school was out. Until then, he sighed and focused on his classes.

 

a/n: Hope you teleporters are happy that Kai is in this part. XD Adn DO too! (*derp* sorry I had to) So, now I'm off to work on the last part. bye!