Story 1~ The End of Summer Social, Part 2

Mystic Institute ~ Sumgida Kyegok

a/n: This was supposed to be longer, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to go with it, so, here's part 2.

 

Half an hour later, Ren was inside his dorm room, which was fairly big, a generous size. It was, of course, a two bedroom. One bedroom was on one side of the dorm and the other was on the other side. Beyond the door was the living room which was decorated simply with a couch, a loveseat, a recliner, a glass coffee table on a white throw rug, and a fair sized TV set on top of a short cabinet for movies and whatever else. Beyond the living room in the back was a small kitchen with the basics and a window over the sink. The bathroom was next to the room that Ren had chosen. It was a decent size with a bathtub as long as he was tall, a large sink, a blue rug in front of the tub, one of those toilet seat covers of the same color on the lit of the toilet, and two white towels hanging on a rack with washcloths on top of them. The bedrooms were nice as well, with white walls, a full-sized bed with blue and light gray bedding and pillows, a nightstand with a lamp on it on either side of the bed, an oak dresser, an oak desk and chair for doing work, and a light gray loveseat with a small table in front of it.

Ren sighed, set down his luggage on the floor, and collapsed on the bed, completely exhausted. The bedding was fluffy and comfortable. Ren wondered who exactly in the twisted, hypocritical, and controversial world he lived in (or previously lived in) had the money to open an institute that was a high school in one place and a college in the next and was as nice as it was. Whoever it was must have been ridiculously rich. Whatever. As long as the school was for people like him who couldn’t be accepted or understood in the human realm.

The colors had faded away as he had calmed down on his walk across the campus to his room. Now he could see normally and the headache had faded away to only an occasional prickle in the back of his mind. Once he was relaxed and rested a bit, he stood up and dragged his belongings up onto the bed. He unpacked his suitcases and stuffed all of his clothes in the dresser, placed his six sets of shoes (all of which Taemin and Minhyun had bought him) next to the door of his room, and placed his accessories on top of the dresser. He placed his laptop, iPod, and cell phone on top of the desk and plugged two of them into the outlet next to the desk. He threw his two stuffed cats (gifts from Taemin that were partly a joke) up next to the pillows on the bed. He had just put all of his bath items, toothbrush and toothpaste, and his meds in the bathroom and was digging through his backpack when a voice behind him startled him, making him drop his pencil box filled with pencils, pens, colored pencils, highlighters, and erasers onto the floor.

“Excuse me!”

He whipped around, the contents of his pencil box scattering everywhere, to see a girl with short black hair wearing a light green long-sleeved shirt, white pants, and simple shoes smiling from his doorway. He had managed to catch a few pens and pencils in his surprise and now stood there wide-eyed gripping the writing utensils so hard his knuckles were white.

“Sorry. Did I scare you?” the girl asked.

“Who are you? What are you doing in here?” he asked, fearing the worst.

The girl pulled out a dorm key, holding it up. “I’m your roommate. See?” Sure enough, the cursed key tag said 386, the number of the room they were in. She stepped forward and held out her hand. “I’m Shin Minjung.”

Ren took a weary step back. Like with JR, he ignored the hand and bowed instead. “Choi Minki. Call me Ren,” he said simply.

Taken aback, Minjung lowered her hand, looking at it as if she wondered if it had a disease or something. “Well, um, I’m going to go and unpack in the other bedroom, okay?”

He just nodded, still vice gripping the pens and pencils.

She glanced at the mess on the floor. “Do you need any help first?”

He shook his head.

“You don’t talk much, huh?” Minjung tilted her head. He didn’t do or say anything. “Okay then…” she turned and walked out, shutting the door behind her.

Ren dropped the utensils and lunged forward to lock the door. He pressed his back against it as if there were a scary monster on the other side. Maybe there was. His heart racing again and his throat dry, he swallowed hard.

“I’m dead.”

 

 

Clutching the gray stuffed cat in against his chest, Ren cautiously unlocked the door and stepped out, looking around. He saw that Minjun’s door was cracked open and carefully and slowly trodded through to the living room. He thought maybe he could slip out quietly without her hearing him leave and try and find Minhyun. However, just as he got to the front door he heard a mewling sound. He whipped around, startled, and looked down. A black cat about as big as the gray stuffed one in his arms sat in front of him with its head tilted.

Ren sighed and knelt down. “Little kitty, you scared me.” He sat down his stuffed one and reached for the real, black one, clicking his tongue. The cat came instantly and rubbed against Ren’s hand and legs. He it from head to tail gently. “Where did you come from?”

“That’s Nightshade, my familiar.”

Ren’s head shot up. Minjung was standing there smiling down at him. “What?”

“I said she’s my familiar. I’m a witch.”

Oh, now it made sense. She probably either summoned the cat or she came in with it and it was snooping around the dorm when she surprised him. He picked up the cat and cradled it in his arms, still petting its head.

“She really likes you. I’m surprised. She seemed so unsocial and detached today,” Minjung said, watching Ren pet the black feline.

Ren smiled. “I’m not. Not in the least.” He released some of his power and saw a strong magenta aura eminating from Nightshade. “She’s just nervous. You don’t have to worry. She’ll perk up once she gets used to the new area.”

“What do you mean?”

Ren looked up at Minjung. The gray hue of confusion swirled around her. For the first time he noticed that she was pretty in the most casual way, despite the color covering her like a thick film. He swallowed that thought. “Well, since you were open about your powers, I suppose it would only be right to tell you mine.” Ren set Nightshade down and moved to sit on the couch, picking up his stuffed cat on the way around. Minjung sat down next to him. Nightshade leaped up next to them and Ren pet her as she settled down between the two of them. “Do you know the myth that cats and dogs are color blind?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, of course that’s not true, although dogs can see blues but not greens.” He looked up at Minjung and smiled. “But did you know that a cat’s sense of sight is ten times stronger than a normal human’s and twenty times stronger than someone like us, with special powers.”

“Really?” White curiosity surrounded her.

Ren nodded. “It’s their instincts. They can not only smell a person’s sent and follow it, but they can see it, along with their aura. They see everything in vivid colors; the entire spectrum and even colors that we can’t see. They also know by these colors what a person is feeling, or whether they are a threat or not. That’s why they seem so temperamental. They just know. They’re very clever too. Sometimes they don’t need these hightened instincts to tell what a person is like.”

“And you know this because…you are one?”

“Partly,” he said. “From my mother’s side. My father told me that she was the same way.”

“Wow. So if your mom was some sort of feline entity, what is your dad?”

“He’s just a human with special powers. He can….” Ren worded his explanation in his head, not wanting to reveal too much about himself. “…He can sort of see things.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, he can see things from a different perspective, I guess. Like from a bird’s eye view or from the perspective of another.”

Minjung shook her head. “I don’t get it.”

Ren bit his lip. “Okay. For example, earlier, I couldn’t make heads or tails of the map they gave us. So I used my powers and it became a three dimensional figure, like a hologram. I could see the entire campus and its buildings as if it were a scale model of the school right in front of me. But if someone were to be standing next to me, they would have just saw me staring off into space. Also, if I were to close my eyes and meditate, I would be able to see everyone and everything everywhere in this building the entire campus.”

“Whoa. Way cool! Could you see the other campus? The college campus?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never pushed it that far.”

“Wish I could do things like that,” Minjung smiled.

Ren shook his head. “No you don’t. It’s not always fun. Sometimes the colors are so bright and vivid that it gives me really bad headaches and I have to take pain killers to get rid of them. I don’t have complete control over my powers either.”

“Is that why you were holding up the line? You were registering your meds?”

“Yeah.”

“That sounds like it .”

“It does.” Ren stared down at Nightshade, who was now taking a cat nap. “But as long as I stay calm and relaxed, it’s not so bad. It’s mostly activated on adrenaline rush.”

“So you don’t always see in colors?”

“No. That’s because I’m part human. I’d probably go crazy if I saw such detailed color all day everyday.”

“Well that’s good.” She paused as if forming some thought in her mind. “What are you seeing now?”

“Dull colors. Bearable colors. Almost enjoyable, if I hadn’t seen them so many times.”

“What color am I?”

He looked at her. She was glowing with a golden yellow aura mixed with a calm orange, lightened by the white hue of curiosity. “Your aura is golden yellow and is lined with orange and white, which means you’re calm and curious.”

Her eyes widened and her aura flashed a surprised orchid color. “Wow! That is so cool! What about Nightshade?”

The sleeping cat was dark gray with a peach-orange hue. “Her aura is dark gray and peach-orange because she’s calm and relaxed.”

“Does everything have a color?”

“Everything that is alive or is touched by something that is alive. Even plants have colors. But something like a wall is usually white, black, or shades of gray, indicating nothing, since they aren’t alive. But most times they have splashes of other colors where people have touched them. I can even pick a color off of the wall and follow it until I reach the place where that person is.”

“And the sky?”

“Imagine it five times bluer with splotches of neon white and that’s what I see when I look up when my powers are active.”

“Ouch.”

“Yeah. I make it a habit not to look up too much when my powers are active. Instant headache.”

Minjung stared into Ren’s eyes. “Your eyes…They were dark before, but now it’s like someone poured all the colors of a rainbow into a bowl and mixed it all up. They’re like pools of color. They’re beautiful.”

Ren flushed and broke eye contact. No one except for Taemin, Key, and Minhyun had ever said anything like that about his eyes when he was using his powers. Especially not a girl. “Um…Th-thank you.”

Ren dared to look back at her. She caught his eyes again and this time he couldn’t seem to look away. Between the expression on her face and the deep pinkish red of adoration and admiration in her aura, he found he didn’t want to. No one-no female-had ever looked at him in that way. He found that he liked it. It was encouraging and strengthening.

 

 

Oh Sehun, sitting in the extremely large cafeteria in the main building, gave out a long, heavy sigh. His head in his hand, he stirred his bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch around until it was nothing more than mush. Eventually he pushed it away and nibbled on his cinnamon and raisin bagel and sipped his orange juice.

“Boo!” someone lunged on his shoulders from behind, making him drop his bagel onto the table.

He turned around to see a wide, creepy smile and electrified brown hair towering over him. It was Park Chanyeol. “Aish! Chanyeol hyung! You scared me!”

“Sorry,” Chanyeol continued to smile, sitting down next to Sehun with a breakfast burrito and a cup of coffee in his hand.

“Aigoo. You’re already so hyper all the time. Do you really need caffeine this early in the morning?”

Chanyeol’s smile didn’t fade. In fact, it got wider. “It’s got caramel and chocolate flavored creamer and extra sugar,” he said as he sipped the hot drink. Sehun’s eyes widened. “Scared?”

“Very much so!” Sehun returned to his bagels and orange juice.

“Why so glum, huh Sehun?” Sehun just shook his head. “Let me guess. You’re sulking because your boyfriend is in college and you’re in high school?”

Sehun’s head whipped around to face Chanyeol’s knowing (and creepy) grin. “Luhan is not my boyfriend!!!”

“You’re blushing again Sehun,” Chanyeol told him. Sehun’s face got redder as he turned to ignore the creepy giant. “Oh, come on! You’ll see him later! Did you read the papers we got? There was an advertisement. All of the high school students and the college students are going into town for something called the End of Summer Social. We’re going to be exploring the town and going swimming this evening.”

Chanyeol sighed and bit into his burrito when Sehun remained quiet.

“Yah! You didn’t wait for me?!” came another voice.

The two turned around to see another boy. This one was shorter than Chanyeol with dark lashes that brought out the color and size of his eyes. He was cutesy and good-looking. This was the third member of their odd little clique, Byun Baekhyun.

“Bacon! What took you so long?!” Chanyeol grinned at the boy.

“Well, Eggyeol,” Baekhyun said setting down a tray with an omlette, hash browns, and toast with apple juice on the side next to Sehun as well, “I told you to wait for me as I had to look for my pass and pack my backpack, but, once again, you just go off and do whatever you want. I swear, you’re like a big buffalo! You never know if you’re going to charge or just stand there and graze!” Baekhyun sighed as he sat down on Sehun’s other side and turned to the younger boy. “Good morning, Sehun. How are you fairing without Luhan hyung?”

“He’s sulking,” Chanyeol interjected as Sehun took a breath to speak. Sehun glared at him. He shrugged. “Well you are.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at Chanyeol and patted Sehun’s shoulder. “It’ll be okay. You can spend all the time you want with him this weekend and then you can share stories of your first week of school.”

“I guess,” Sehun gave a small smile. “It’s just, we’ve always gone to school together. And now he’s in college and I still have this year and next year left of high school.”

Baekhyun patted Sehun’s shoulder one last time. “Eat. You’ll feel better.”

“You hear that?” Chanyeol said finishing off his burrito. “The bacon is giving advice to eat in order to feel better about your problems. Doesn’t that sound fat?”

Baekhyun reached over and flicked Chanyeol in the head. Hard. “Babo. You’re lucky Suho hyung is in college otherwise he’d thump you five times as hard.”

Chanyeol pouted and rubbed his forehead. “Meh. Suho is a softy. He doesn’t scare me!”

“Right,” Sehun rolled his eyes.

“Well,” Chanyeol said standing up. “I’m out. See ya’ll in class!”

“And again, the buffalo is rolling,” Baekhyun said stabbing his omlette for the first time since he sat down. Sehun just laughed at his hyungs’ silliness.

 

 

“What about him?”

“Uh…Spanish…”

“You babo! He’s obviously Asian!”

“But his hair!”

“That’s dye.”

“Oh.”

Zhang Yixing and Kim Jongdae were sitting in the cafeteria as well, pointing out students and guessing their nationality. Jongdae had learned that Mystic Institute was an international school and challenged Yixing that he could pick out who the foreigners were. So Yixing was pointing out students and Jongdae was guessing where they were from.

“Face it Chen, you couldn’t tell apart a Japanese person from a Thai person,” Yixing said as he bit into a bacon, egg, and cheese English muffin sandwich.

“And could you, Lay?” Jongdae gave the other a look.

“No. And neither can you. That’s my point.”

Lay and Chen were nicknames. Yixing called Jongdae “Chen” because he couldn’t pronounce “Jongdae”, as he was Chinese. Jongdae called Yixing “Lay” because he was Korean and wasn’t good with pronouncing “Yixing”. So they just made nicknames for each other.

“I wish Kris hyung were here,” Chen huffed, poking his pancakes with his fork. “He’s more fun than you.”

“Wu Fan is just nice. Of course, he has a sense of humor. But you just make no sense,” Lay explained. “Honestly, I admire his patience. I don’t know how he’s able to put up with the two of us going back and forth.”

“He’s a Sophmore in college. He’s older than us so of course he has patience. He’s been where we are now.”

“True,” Lay nodded. “But I think anyone would give up and run away after one day of putting up with us.”

Chen thought about that. Lay was right. But they had too much fun debating and going back and forth with arguments to act like real friends. Chen nibbled on his pancakes as he looked around boredly. Noticing this, Lay sighed.

“What about them?”

“Erm…Brother and sister. Taiwanese.”

“And her?”

“Brazilian.”

“And what about him?”

“Russian….”

 

 

Huang Zitao stood in one of the numerous hallways of the main building, a map of the building in his hand, looking around.

Ah, he sighed. How in the world am I supposed to find my first class in this huge, maze-like building?

He was looking back and forth from his schedule to his map when he felt a small hand on his shoulder. He jumped a bit and turned around. It was a girl with shoulder length black hair, dressed in a deep purple shirt that showed her shoulders, a gray tank top underneath her shirt, black jeans, and black and gray boots. She was a few inches shorter than him and very pretty.

“You look lost,”  he was barely able to make out her Korean.

“Erm, ne. Uh…” He tried to search for the right words.

“This place is pretty big. Need some help with your map?”

He bowed. “Yes, please. If it’s not too much trouble.”

“Not at all.” She took his map. “You have an accent. Are you Chinese?”

“Ah, ne,” he nodded.

She smiled. “You’re in luck then,” she said in perfect Mandarin. “I’m part Chinese myself.”

Zitao smiled back and bowed again, this time in the Chinese style. “Ah, ni hao, then. I am Huang Zitao, but you may call me Tao.”

The girl bowed back. “Ni hao. I am Kim Rae Fan. I am part Korean and part Chinese.”

“You have a pretty name, Rae Fan.”

“Thank you. So, Tao, where are you trying to get to?”

“Well, my first class is Chemistry, in room 312…” Tao looked at his schedule again.

“Ah, here it is,” Rae Fan pointed to a place on the map. “And it just so happens that I’m heading there as well. Shall we go together?”

“I would be honored.”

The two of them walked side by side to their first class.

 

a/n: see? More characters, as promised! XD I loved doing EXO's parts. They're such fun characters to mess with! >XD.