01. enter the bff, key

My BFF Key

 

[kyungmi]

I have a friend and his name’s Key (real name: Kim Kibum). Yeah, it’s a pretty weird name. After all, who’d like to be called something that is crammed into a door and cranked around and often lost around the house? Guess he does.

He’s 19 (birthday: September 23) and I’m not far from there. For some strange reason he’s almost every girl’s dream husband. When people off the streets see him they always have this wanting glint in their eyes. Sure, Key’s pretty handsome (cough) and he has a great personality (cough) but seriously, why does everyone find him so desirable?

We met at a friend’s birthday party a year or so back and have been friends since then. Key’s usually a pretty good guy and he can be a little queer sometimes but I’m not going to question him about his uality.

For a while there I really thought that Key might’ve been a little gay. But it turns out he wasn’t and he was dating someone. And it also turns out that he’s dating my little sister – Yang Sooyun. I found out on a windy autumn afternoon when I caught them at our house alone, together… playing board games.

That day is still vivid in my mind.

----

“Sooyun, I’m home.” The door opened with the swivel of the doorknob and I was graced with the full view of the living room. There was Sooyun sitting on the ground with a cushion. I caught a small ‘hello’ from Sooyun as I picked up the groceries that I was asked to fetch.

Thank God, my sister isn’t as crazy as Key is. Once, we went to the supermarket together and he bought some really weird stuff. When we were there he bought some of the strangest things… He wanted extremely green cabbage and wanted me to squint to make sure there were no bugs on them. I mean seriously?

Then my thoughts were interrupted.

“Hey, Kyungmi!”

That voice sounded awfully familiar. And no, it wasn’t the voice of my sister. There was only one other voice (excluding the rest of my family) that I could recall so easily. “Yah, what are you doing in my house, Kim Kibum?!” There he was sitting on the ground besides Sooyun in all his glory. Key waved at me.

“I was wondering when you were going to come home, we were waiting for you.” Key flashed a strange smile that didn’t suit him at all and placed an arm around Sooyun’s shoulders. Sooyun gave me a more natural smile and didn’t seem to notice the oddity of Key’s touch.

Why was Key having contact with another female? I looked him up and down. He looked normal enough today. He was dressed normally, he had his usual hair and the only thing odd was the board game on the floor. “Key, did you bang your head on something?”

“Are you trying to insult me indirectly?” Key crossed his arms over his chest.

“No. I’m insulting you directly.” I placed the bags onto the kitchen counter. “Anyway, why is Key over?”

Key stood up and approached me, while Sooyun sat on the floor happily playing with the board game pieces. “Guess what?” He exclaimed.

“What?” I asked, uncertainly. “Did I just die and go to hell?”

“No, not yet.” Key patted me on the shoulder.

I’ll pretend he never said that… “Then what?”

Key and Sooyun traded glances and Key smiled really, really differently than he usually does. Correction, I’ve never seen him smile like that. From that single look, I instantly understood. “No…” I backed away from him, “You’re not… right?”

“That depends on what you’re thinking about, Kyungmi.” Sooyun beamed.

“I’m dating Sooyun.” Key placed his hands on his hips and let out a hearty laugh. The way he seemed to laugh made me think that he was doing this in spite of me.

Sooyun shot Key a look that almost looked like a glare. “Do that again, Key and I’ll poke you in the eyeball.”

Key waved her off, “Yeah, yeah. Sorry.

“Wait, how long has this been going on for?” It felt like those times when you watch a movie and fall asleep halfway, then all of the sudden it’s the ending and you don’t know what has happened. It made me feel like an outcast.

“Oh, only about 6 months.” Key held his hand out and counted his fingers.

I looked at them with an opened mouth. “And you didn’t think to tell me?”

“We were seeing if this was something official.” Sooyun took a drink from the cup of something on the coffee table. Moments later, Key came along and drank from the same cup. They were that far into the relationship, already? I gasped in shocked. It was a conspiracy! I just loved how they acted like this wouldn’t bother me at all. No, really. It wasn’t cool.

“Since omma and appa are on their never-ending world tour, do you approve of Key?” Sooyun asked with an expectant smile. “He is your best friend after all.”

“You mean BFF. Right, Kyungmi? My BFF.” Key nudged me.

I just stared at them shocked. They surprise me with a sudden announcement that they were dating and if that wasn’t enough for me to handle they want me to approve of them? Hell, how was I supposed to approve of them when I didn’t even know Sooyun’s boyfriend?

Hang on. That’s right… Key’s my BFF.

Key nudged me once again. This time it was harder and directed at my ribs. Then continuous nudges followed. “I’ll approve your !” I shouted at Key, frustrated.

“Woo! She approved!” Key screamed and ran over to Sooyun. I thought he’d hug her or something but they just hi-fived and held hands.

I didn’t even bother to argue. This was Key that I was up against. Sigh, yes I still remember that day. I really remember that day all too well.

----

“Are you going to eat that chicken, Kyungmi?” Onew asked, looking at the last drumstick yearningly.

“Yah, it’s my chicken!” I snapped and pulled the plate towards me. He let out a small gasp and pouted. Onew was such a cutie. I leaned over the table and squeezed his cheek. “Aw, I won’t give you the whole chicken but you can have a little bit.” Onew’s eyes lit up when he heard the news.

I grabbed a fork and stabbed it right into the middle of the chicken. “Here baby, have some chicken.” I offered the drumstick on the fork with a smile.

Without hesitation Onew took the chicken and ate the whole thing in a gobble.

“I said a little bit.” I eyed him.

After I had discovered that my little sister and Key were going out I felt this strange rage within me. I felt like I had to do something in spite of Key. So I conspired a plan to win over Key’s sort of brother, Onew.

At first I didn’t like Onew very much. I thought he was a glutton and fell down way too much. I never knew that someone could hurt themselves that many times in a period of two hours. But after awhile, Onew turned out to be very cool and I decided to give him a chance.

Onew stared at me like I was weird and then realised that he had eaten the whole thing. “Oh, uh.” He looked down at the clean fork in his hand. “Sorry…”

Aw, I just loved Onew.

Then, the door burst opened and Key stood at the doorway. “Kyungmi…” He cried.

I turned my gaze away from Key, “Onew, save me.”

----

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! It was like an introduction and we promise it gets better as it goes.

♥JSMPKK - 13/01/11