The Birthday Part III

Love in Different Languages

"Hey." Calvin greeted Genie from behind the bench she was sitting on and as soon as Genie heard someone calling her, she wiped her tears away, while Calvin slowly sat beside her.

"Why are you here?" Genie asked Calvin, her voice sounding like *crack*.

"Looking for someone." Calvin replied, not minding the way she sounded like.

"Who is that someone?" Genie asked, unaware that she was that someone Calvin was talking about.

"You." Calvin replied, turning to look at her with a smile plastered on his face.

"Why?" Genie asked, also turning to face Calvin.

"I don't know." Calvin replied and thumbed away the wet portion from just below her eyes. "Why'd you cry?"

"I didn't cry." Genie replied, lying.

"I know you did." Calvin said, mischievously.

"Why do you say so?" Genie asked, trying to challenge him.

"I just know." Calvin replied and looked at the view right in front of them which was the garden.

Genie smirked and stood up, she thought that Calvin was distracting her from her meditation, so she decided to find a place elsewhere where no one could see her, but she was stopped by the force gripped on her wrist.

She turned around and saw Calvin holding on to her, as he placed the empty glass on top of the bench with his other hand. She tried to get away from his grip by pulling her hand away, but she doesn't seem to have so much strength right now to even stop him.

"What?" Genie asked him, looking annoyed.

"I just want you to stay." Calvin replied, looking down at her wrist being held by his hand.

"Fine." Genie surrendered. "But let go of my hand first."

"Okay." Calvin responded and let go of her wrists when she started walking away. "Hey, you are no fair."

"Do you want to know something?" Genie asked randomly and turned to him, not looking annoyed, while Calvin was confused with the sudden change of mood.

"What is that something?" Calvin asked her.

"That I am a coward. That I'm useless, I'm fooled easily and..." Genie paused and started to cry. Right at that moment, when Calvin was looking at her, he really wanted to hold her in his arms, to hug her, but he didn't have the guts to and just watched her cry.

"I can't not lie 'cause I'm a liar." Genie continued. Calvin can't take it anymore, he felt that he urgently needed her, so without thinking of second thoughts, he hugged her and held her right into his arms.

x.x.x.x.x

Ella searched for Chun and as soon as she found him at the back stage, she slapped him at the back.

"Hey." Ella greeted him.

"Hm?" Chun responded and turned to her.

"Don't hm, hm me." Ella said, getting annoyed.

"Hm?" Chun said again.

"I hate you!" Ella said and hit him hard on the shoulder.

"Hey." Chun said, massaging his shoulders. "Why are you here?"

"What's that special performance?" Ella asked Chun who was acting like he didn't know anything about it.

"What performance?" Chun asked Ella. He was actually so good at acting, she didn't notice that he was lying, so she was gradually disappointed. "Ooh, what's with the long face? Are you disappointed?" Chun asked her, alongside teasing her and it actually worked.

"I'm not disappointed...AS IF!" Ella replied, then walked away, but was pulled by Chun to sit on his lap with his arms on her waist.

"Don't make me look like I'm the one who's being wronged here." Ella said which made Chun confused.

"Huh?" He asked her.

"What huh?" She asked back.

"You're so weird." Chun said.

"Now I'm the one who's weird?" Ella asked and glared back at him.

"Weird means unique. You're weird, because I see you in a different way unlike other people see you." Chun replied, making Ella touched, maybe!?

"How do you see me?" Ella asked Chun.

"I see you as you, Ella. I don't know, but I see something in you that I don't see with the others." Chun replied, playing with her hands.

"Who are the others?" Ella asked.

"Other girls." Chun replied, while Ella hit him playfully on his chest.

"You're so...You're so...You're such a shame." Ella said, standing up from Chun's lap. "You don't love me anymore."

"Crazy. Who said I don't?" Chun asked.

"You said so." Ella replied, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes at him.

"Chun." Joe called out from the stage. "Time to perform for your Little Ellie."

"Ella, go to the front row seat." Chun said, more like commanding her.

"You're commanding me now, huh?" Ella asked, smirking.

"Come on and move your little body over the seats outside." Chun said. "Or you want me to help you and carry you bridal style?"

"No thanks." Ella responded and walked away.

"Wait!" Chun quickly said before she can even walk out who walked over to her and gave her a quick peck on the lips. Then, she finally walked out.

x.x.x.x.x

"Mr. High and Mighty." Ella thought, sitting at one of the chairs on the front row who was unaware that she was sitting just right beside Rainie.

"Hey, Ella." Rainie greeted. "It's you again."

"Yeah, I guess." Ella replied and looked over to the stage where Joe was announcing something.

"And now, here's Chun to perform for the birthday girl, Ella!" Joe announced, while the spotlight focused on Chun and Ella. Yes, there were two spotlights and that's possible, while claps and cheers could be heard from the crowd.

And there at that right moment and time, Chun sang. A song they heard not too long ago, Whatever It Takes which goes like this:

A strangled smile fell from your face
It kills me that I hurt you this way
The worst part is that I didn't even know
Now there's a million reasons for you to go
But if you can find a reason to stay

"Scratch that first paragraph, I sang it just for the sake of singing the song. For I haven't hurt Ella!" Chun said, pulling out for a while from the song. Then continued with the song again...

(AN*: There’s some grammatical error on the song itself, but I think that it’s part of creating the lyrics. You know, so it would rhyme with the other words that are included)

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes

"I didn't let her down, but I'm willing to keep us together." Chun cut in again.

"Let's make this a deal, Chun. Just continue with the song please." Ella said, sniffing.

"Okay, okay." Chun and Ella conversed with the crowd hearing them. "But don't cry." Chun added, while Ella stick her tongue out at him 'causing the crowd to go 'Ooh'.

She said if we're gonna make this work
You gotta let me inside even though it hurts
Don't hide the broken parts that I need to see
She said like it or not it's the way it's gotta be
You gotta love yourself if you can ever love me

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
And give me a break
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes

I know you deserve much better
Remember the time I told you the way that I felt
And that I'd be lost without you and never find myself
Let's hold onto each other above everything else
Start over, start over

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes

And right after the song, Ella stood up and went up the stage to hug Chun.

"Aw." The crowd chorused. There weren't too many people from the crowd. In fact, only Ella and Chun's colleagues were there and well, their close friends too.

"When will the marriage be?" Someone from the crowd asked.

"Soon!" Ella announced happily, facing the crowd and they went like 'Yey' and stuff like 'This calls for another celebration!'

And just right after the short performance, Ella was called to cut her cake. Along with Chun, of course and the boys, Jiro, Josh and Arron crowding around her. The others noticed Calvin's absence, but didn't mind as soon as Arron explained the whole situation that he was looking for Genie there and Genie that and Ella understood.

x.x.x.x.x

"Hebe, met Mr. Right yet?" Selina asked Hebe who pushed her glasses up.

(AN*: You know guys, I just realized just now that I didn't describe Hebe too much from the past chapters. So, here I am now...confessing that Hebe wore glasses.)

"What do you think?" Hebe replied and turned to Selina, looking annoyed. In her face were expressions like 'I'm not interested in that kind of thing you call love.' and Selina being Selina just guessed what was drawn all over Hebe's face and sighed.

"Then how about you?" Hebe asked Selina in return with her question.

"Well, no...But I met some nice guy." Selina replied and smiled sheepishly to Hebe's direction.

"Who's he?" Hebe asked again.

"He's not here." Selina replied and searched in the crowd. She just realized that she hasn't seen Calvin around since their last conversation. "I wonder where he is." Selina thought, while Hebe waved her hands in front of Selina's face, bringing her back to reality.

"Selina REN!" Hebe shouted at her ears.

"What?" Selina asked in an annoyed tone of voice.

"I was just asking who he was and you were like staring out of the blue." Hebe replied.

"Oh, sorry." Selina said, in a quite disappointed tone of voice not having to have seen Calvin around.