Vulture for the Second Time Around

You're Not Him

 

After our first hiking experience together, I started to be somehow cold to him. I didn’t really like how he acted that night. I know he’s a gangster but he couldn’t show his gangster attitude towards me. Don’t bear with me, I can make him suffer more than what I did to him that time. It took him a week before he made me trust him fully again. He made a bid scene on my school just to say sorry. Well, I accepted his apology but I made an agreement with him. No kisses until the final examinations by the end of this week. And, he must get a good score. It’s a bit in favored for him because I’m helping him in reviewing his lessons.

 

“Logarithm of cube root of x plus one is equal to one third. Solve for x. the, logarithm of 2m to the base b minus logarithm of x cubed to the base b is equal to the logarithm of x to the base b, solve for m. answer those problems, Joonmyun.” I recited and went back on reviewing my own notes. After approximately 10 minutes, I noticed him still scribbling on his notebook. “Are you done? Let me see.” I took a look on it and my eyebrows furrowed a little to see a sketch of a girl who looked like me instead of problem solutions. “Wow. You never told me you’re good in drawing. She looked like me.”

 

“That’s you, silly.” He’s back with his mocking tone. But I didn’t turn my attention to that, I was still anticipating the fact that he made a sketch of me.

 

“You’re really good. Why don’t you take Fine Arts?” I suggested. Upon staring at his drawing, if eyes could sparkle, my eyes will do.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe, I won’t go to college. i won’t have problems anymore.” He said and rested his chin on his palm. I eyed him.

 

“You’ll go to college, no matter what happens.” My eyes went back to his notebook. “Can I have this? I’ll rip the page. I’ll put this in a frame.” He laughed at me but I did keep his drawing with me. “It’s late. I’ll go home now.” I started grabbing my books on the table.”

 

“I can bring you home.”

 

“No. I’ll just ride a bus. You have to review. No drawings for a while, okay?” I tapped his shoulder and went closer to the door. Before I completely come out of his room, he grumbled.

 

“Ugh! I miss my kisses!” he slammed the table. I chuckled and closed the door.

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

“Joonmyun, I said let me see your grades.” I extended my hand impatiently. He struck the steering wheel and threw the card towards me with a frowning look. I slowly read the information. Korean - passed, English – passed, Science – passed, Math – err, never mind, History – passed, Arts – A+, P.E – A+. He didn’t pass his Math subject because of a three point error. What is a three point error if he did good with the rest of his subjects? Maybe he’s thinking I won’t be glad to see his grades. I smiled and came closer to kiss him on the cheek. “Good job. Don’t worry about the Math. I’ll help you review for your make-up test.” He enlarged his eyes.

 

“Can I kiss you now?” he asked. I laughed. The next thing I knew, he was already kissing me. He really missed this. I laughed within myself. He cupped the back of my neck to deepen the kiss. He was so excited that he almost jumped to my seat. And I almost banged my head to the window because of the pressure. I pushed him so that I could breathe in.

 

“Can’t you live without kiss? You almost killed me.” I said, still gasping.

 

“You didn’t kiss me for a week, what else will you think? That’s my punishment for you.” He defended. And now I was the one with fault. I threw his card back to him. He started the ignition and drove. “Where do you want to go?”

 

“I don’t know. Where are you driving at?” I chuckled.

 

“I don’t know either.” We laughed. He didn’t know where to go but he kept on driving. “What about the amusement park?” he suggested. I smiled and nodded. We were on half of our way when I noticed him continuously switching his gaze at the rear view and the side view mirror.

 

“What’s going on, Joonmyun?” I asked curiously.

 

“That car keeps on following us.” He glanced at the rear view mirror once again then I looked at the back. My face twitched by seeing a black car just before ours.

 

“Did you engage yourself to a fight again?” I asked, my tone was furious enough to make him more serious.

 

“Of course not. It’s just that there’s a little gang fight that happened two days ago. It was a verbal fight.” He explained. I knew it. A gang fight again. I scowled and crossed my arms on my chest. I panicked when the car bumped us on the side. “ this , fasten your seatbelt, honey.” Usually, I’m finding myself laughing when he’s addressing me as honey, but I got no time to anticipate it because of my sudden fear. I held firmly on my seat and whispered round prayers within myself. The car continued to bump us but we made a far distance when Joonmyun speeded up. He drove in haste and parked the car in front of an old warehouse. We got off as we believed we’re already safe. That’s what we thought. Xiumin and his friends appeared behind us with thick steels on their hands. Joonmyun grabbed my wrist and ran inside the warehouse. As what I expected, they were running before our heels. He brought me beside the boxes made up of woods and let go of my hand. “Sit. Close your eyes and cover your ears. Wait for me, I’ll be right back.”

 

“Joonmyun.” I muttered, nearly crying.

 

“Just do what I’ve said.” That was the last thing I heard from him before he disappeared from my sight. I was covering my ears with my hands but I was still hearing the clinks of the metals.

 

“Joonmyun!” I shouted with my broken voice.

 

“I said don’t listen!” I heard him retorted. I put my phone out of my pocket using my shaking hands. I decided to send Chanyeol a message about what’s happening right now. I typed as fast as I could. I’ve just clicked the send button when one of the gang held me on my arm and pulled me to stand up.

 

“Let go of me!” I screamed as I tried to withstand.

 

“Don’t hurt my girlfriend!” he ordered but it was too late. The man pushed me already to the boxes that hit my head hard. Joonmyun’s bloody face was the last thing I saw before complete darkness.