A Cat and Mouse Chase

Love Psychology

 

Beautiful Target by B1A4

Chapter 4 – A Cat and Mouse Chase

Eunjae dragged herself off of her bed the next day. She has big bags under her eyes because of not being to sleep the night before. She couldn’t believe she just talked to a psychologist yesterday and even told her that she’s going to help her. “I don’t even have a problem!” she thinks to herself but of course, it’s not what others see. She has a problem; a big problem that she needs to fix before she becomes an adult in a few years. But then, she could only care less about that kind of stuff.

“Good morning sweetie,” her mom greeted and she just stared right back at her. She wants to glare at her but she couldn’t. She just looked away and walked to the bathroom. She took a bath while her eyes were half-open and finished fast like she always do. She dried herself and changed to her uniform that hung outside the shower. She walked out the bathroom and a smell immediately wafted in her nose. She sniffed while walking towards the kitchen.

She found her mom putting a plate of bacon and egg on the table and upon noticing her she gave her a warm smile. Eunjae dragged herself to sit in front of the dining table and before she knew it, she was munching down the food. She didn’t eat dinner the day before because she was so mad about what her parents did. Her mom watched her.

“Why did you cook for me? I thought I told you not to?” Eunjae said not taking her eyes off her food. Her mom didn’t answer so she looked up and found her staring at her with a small smile.

“I don’t need to have a reason because I’m your mother. It’s just right that I cook you breakfast every morning before you go to school,” her mom said.

“You should’ve thought of that before leaving,” Eunjae mumbled.

“What?” Her mom asked.

“Nothing,” Eunjae uttered and continued to eat. It was a moment of silence before her mom spoke.

“I know you’re mad—“ Eunjae immediately cut her off.

“You knew I’m going to get mad but you still did it. I don’t have some psychological illness or whatsoever. I chose to be like this. I don’t know why you guys are doing this but no thanks. I’m already happy with how I’m living today. I don’t need anyone’s help,” Eunjae said but deep inside she knew that it was lies; lies to keep her going every day without being hurt, or so she thought. There was a moment of silence until Eunjae stood up. “I’m going. Thanks for the meal and this will be the last time, I promise,” Eunjae said and quickly left her mother. Mrs. Jang covered her face with her hands and cried.

Eunjae then grabbed her things and got her shoes in her feet and quickly left. She heaved in a sigh and walked with a heavy heart to the bus stop. She got there just in time for her bus to come and she got in. She looked around and smiled secretly.

“Glad he’s not here,” she thought and settled on a seat. It baffles her that the bus is more spacious when it was seven than when it is during six in the morning but she just shook her thoughts away.

Minutes later, a group of guys went in. They were noisy, too noisy for Eunjae to handle. She just looked out the window than glare at those guys.

“Could you guys keep it down? Aish,” she heard a girl said and she hoped the boys would listen but they just snickered at her.

“C’mon lil sis. Don’t be such a—“

“Shut up. I still can’t believe I have a brother like you.”

“So they know each other? No wonder they didn’t listen to her,” Eunjae thought sighing. She just tried to ignore them and two stops before hers they got down and finally had the peace. “At last. My iPod’s maximum yet this bunch of guys still beat it,” Eunjae thought rolling her eyes. Finally she reached her stop and got off. She still has a few more minutes to get into her school then to her class but she’s too tired and her mind is too pre-occupied to even think that she’s already running late.

She reached her class a minute after the first class began. When she entered, the class has just started but they were all sitting down. No one even noticed her coming until the teacher did.

“Good morning Ms. Jang Eunjae,” her teacher grimaced. She bowed and walked to her seat as if it was nothing. “You know you’re late, right?” her teacher said and she looked up at him as he stood in front of her desk. Everyone was watching them already with a smug look. She nodded. Her teacher then grew impatient and turned his back to her walking towards his desk. “Stay after class,” he said and continued with his lesson. Eunjae just rolled her eyes and put her head down feeling all sleepy.

As she was about to fall asleep, something hit her head. She looked up and found a crumpled paper on the floor. She looked around for the possible people but found everyone working on something. She just ignored it and went back to sleeping but a minute later, another paper hit her head. She tried to hold herself and ignore it but she grew furious as paper hit her head every minute. She sat up and before she could shout in anger, her teacher called her to answer the question on the board. She cursed under her breath before she lazily walked up to the chalkboard and answer the equation easily and went back to her seat. Before she can sit down, she saw Kai with a smirk. Her eyes furrowed.

“I knew it,” she mumbled before taking her seat. The clock tic-toc and before she knew it, the bell rang. The teacher dismissed them after a few reminders but she knew she isn’t one of those who were dismissed.

“Good luck,” a voice said and when she looked back, she found Kai smirking.

“What the, I swear. I’ll wipe of that smirk off his face one day,” Eunjae thought fist clenching, eyes glaring.

“Eunjae, come here,” she snapped out of her thoughts and followed as she was told to.

-

Baekho rolled his eyes as his friends laughed at him. After he told them that he was scolded for going home late they just burst out laughing.

“So, how’s aunt anyway?” Aron asked giving Baekho a queer look.

“Good I guess. She’s still working her off, helping her patients and stuff I could care less about,” Baekho shrugged grabbing the bag of chips and eating it.

“OH, she has a new patient?” JR asked and Baekho nodded.

“Some girl that looks like an idol according to her but why the heck would I believe that,” Baekho groaned. His friends just laughed.

The bell rang and they walked back to their rooms. At the back of Baekho’s mind, he knows he was curious if what his mom said to him and Kimin is true. He just shrugged the thought away thinking it’s not for him to bother himself with. He has more things to think of, that is for him.

-

As soon as the bell rang for dismissal, the students cheered and their teacher silenced them muttering some things under his breath about kids being so lazy. But he knows he also wanted to get out of that classroom and release some stress.

Eunjae sat on her seat groaning. Even though it was time, she couldn’t leave yet since she has a detention to attend to. She stuck her things in her bag and slung it over her shoulder. She stood up from her seat and made way to the door. As soon as she got out, she saw Kai with his other friends. Kai, feeling someone looking at him, turned and smirked seeing it was Eunjae. Eunjae rolled her eyes and left.

“Stuck up guys, urgh, they get into my nerves,” she mumbled. She reached the faculty room where she was asked to go after class and bowed to the teachers who she happens to see. She knows she’s a cold person but it doesn’t mean that she don’t know how to at least bow to people. It’s actually the only thing that could make her look respectful.

“Oh, you’re here,” the teacher said arranging some papers by his desk. She slightly bowed and waited for her teacher to speak again. “Why were you late?” he asked leaning on his seat and then looking at her.

“I woke up late,” Eunjae said.

“That’s not enough reason to be late. You know you have school the next day. You should’ve set an alarm,” his teacher lectured and she just stood there, listening though what her teacher is saying is just entering one ear then went straight out the other. “Ok, then. For your detention, I want you to write twenty reasons why you shouldn’t be late for class,” her teacher said handing her a piece of paper. Eunjae hid her irritation and grabbed the paper. “I’m giving you an hour to finish it. Go,” her teacher said and Eunjae sighed, bowing and walking out the room.

“Darn it,” she cursed staring at the paper. She walked back to her room and sat on her seat. There weren’t students in already so she has a much peaceful time alone. “I guess this detention is useful. I don’t want to go home anyway,” she thought. She grabbed a pen and started racking her brain for reasons.

In half an hour, she finished her ’20 reasons why I shouldn’t be late’ and went back to the faculty to submit it. As soon as she got there, her teacher already had fallen asleep by his desk. She rolled her eyes as she saw her teacher drooling.

“Fudge,” she mumbled. She tapped her teacher and her teacher quickly woke up.

“Oh, you’re done?” he asked.

“Isn’t it obvious?” she thought. “Neh,” she replied.

“Good. You’re,” he looked at his watch, “thirty minutes early. You could leave if you want to. I want to go home also,” he stretched. Eunjae bowed and left the room with a sigh.

“At last,” she thought. She walked through the empty halls. She had placed her earphones on and played music through her iPod. She walked out the school and then walked towards the gate.

On her way, her eyes squinted to a familiar figure walking right in front of her. After realizing who it was, she grew outraged and yelled.

“YAH!” The person looked behind and got one earphone out. He looked around once before pointing to himself.

“Me?” he asked.

“Who do you think will it be? Pabo,” Eunjae said and walked towards him.

“I’m not stupid. It’s just unlikely for you to call me Ms. Ice Princess,” he said rolling his eyes. “So what do you want?” he asked.

“I know you’re the one who was throwing those papers. Are you trying to piss me off?” Eunjae said. Kai smirked.

“What?” He asked.

“Are you deaf? I don’t want repeating myself so clean your ears please,” Eunjae rolled her eyes.

“Sorry. I don’t have time for your nonsense,” Kai said and turned to leave but Eunjae grabbed his shoulder, turning him. Before she could say another word, some guy student went by.

“She was so clueless. Damn. I’ll definitely throw more papers on her tomorrow. Stupid Eunjae,” a guy said and laughed with another guy walking out the school gates. Eunjae felt her face turn warm. She heard Kai smirk and carefully removing her hands from his shoulder.

“I guess I’m free?” Kai smirked. Eunjae clenched her fists tight. She couldn’t believe she just got embarrassed. “Well then, see you tomorrow Ms. Jang Eunjae,” Kai said in a teasing manner and turned to leave.

Eunjae closed her eyes out of frustration and bit her lower lip. Her face was so red from the humiliation she just got. She let out a loud sigh.

“Don’t let that get into you,” she muttered to herself breathing in and out. She then started to walk away, or more like trudged.

Since she didn’t want to go home yet, she walked past her bus stop and walked around the city for a while. She still can’t forget how she felt so ashamed to the point that she didn’t feel like going to school the next day just to avoid seeing Kai but she knew she can’t. She can’t skip school just because of that and she definitely didn’t want to stay home with her parents since she still didn’t feel comfortable having them around.

Staring straight ahead of her, mind so busy to mind her surroundings, she strolled around the streets of Seoul. Every now and then, she would let out a sigh. She was getting frustrated.

“Yesterday I was brought to talk to a psychologist and now I was embarrassed in front of a guy I hate. How could things get any worse?” she mumbled.

As she was walking, something wet hit her head. She flinched from it. She brought her hand up to her head and got what just hit her—an ice cream cone with a freaking cold ice cream. She closed her eyes looking down. Some people passing by were already giggling and whispering.

“Ooops,” she heard someone say. She looked up with glaring eyes. “Sorry?” the guy said but Eunjae has just lost her patience anymore. “Run!” The guy said and they started chasing each other around. A cat and mouse chase it is.

“YAH! YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE!” Eunjae shouted not minding if the people around are already staring weirdly at them or her hairs was so sticky from the ice cream.

“You shouldn’t have steal my ice cream, fool!” A guy said as they tried to push themselves through the thousands of people walking by. “Excuse me, excuse me,” they kept on saying.

“You should’ve just let me so we didn’t have to go through that!” Another guy shouted. The first guy turned to look around and found a mad Eunjae running after them.

“Won’t she get tired? Damn,” he cursed.

“Let’s hide here!” The second guy said entering a building. They ran up the stairs until they know they were far enough. They tried catching their breaths, one grasping on the railings why one sat at the stairs.

“Did we lose her?” The first guy asked. Then his question got answered when they heard Eunjae’s voice.

“Did you see a guy with brownish hair with a guy with dirty blonde hair?” Eunjae asked panting. The girl who she asked stared at her surprised. The guys gasped and hoped she won’t say yes if ever she saw them. Luckily, the girl shook her head.

“No,” she said. Eunjae sighed loudly.

“Ok, thank you,” Eunjae said exasperated from the running. The two guys peeked from the staircase but when Eunjae turned to look up, they quickly leaned back. “Those guys, they’re lucky I didn’t see them or else,” Eunjae mumbled and strode out the building.

As soon as the two guys felt no presence of Eunjae, they peeked out again and let out a sigh of relief before walking down the stairs.

“That was close,” the guy with brown hair said.

“I know,” the one with dirty blonde hair said. They started walking away being attentive if ever Eunjae would spot them.

“The girl looked pretty though, don’t you think?” the guy with brown hair said.

“Maybe but she’s scary. Not totally my type,” the guy with dirty blonde hair made a face and the first guy just laughed.


 

Sorry for the short update! Anyway, how do you think of it so far? I want to make a shoutout for adrina for always supporting me! Also to my bestfriend, soom_breathe!

LOVE YOU ALL! THANK YOU FOR READING! :)