II.

The Blind and the Beast

The minute I couldn't see Jonghyun or Minho behind me, I ran for it. I ran pass my house and towards an abandoned park. The playground was horribly rusty and the dry grass stood near my waist. Broken and deserted homes were scattered around the park. But this was my place, my sanctuary. I found this place during my mom's funeral, I had ran away crying and not noticed where I had gone. It's not like anyone followed me anyways. I stayed here for a few days, living off what the discarded homes had left behind. But then the supplies came less and I had to go home. Not that I really had a home to go home to, but that's a different story.

I sat down at the table, my elbows resting on the top and hands clasped together under my chin. I closed my eyes, the cold air of Autumn swirling around my body. I take a deep breath and my voice breaks the silence.

"The only thing I can give is this song
All I have is this voice
Even if this makes you laugh
But I still sing 
I hope you accept it

Even if you say it's okay
Even if you say it's okay if I have you
Even if you say you're happy everyday
Even if you say you don't what anything more..."

Besides getting bullied and living a rather unpleasant life, I love to sing. Ballads, especially. I've always wanted to be on a stage, to sing my heart out. But my singing ability is nothing. All they look for is appearances, singing is only a bonus to them. This world is so unfair. So I just sing here, in a place that no one can hear me. Songs that have no relevance and songs that express who I am. If only someone would be willing to listen....

 

By the time I got home, it was 7:30pm. I walked in to only find a fist in my stomach. My bag dropped as I leaned forward and fell on my knees. I looked up only to have to squeeze my eyes shut because my 'father' grabbed a fistfull of hair and pulled me up.

"What the have you been up to?!" He threw me to the nearest wall and scoffed at me.

"You don't need to ing know." I spat at his feet.

"Don't ing talk to me that way! I'm your father!" He kicked me in the face and I could feel the blood coming down my nose. He grabbed another fistfull of my hair and brought it up to his face, the foul smell of alcohol invading the air.

"You don't want me to completely burn you, do you?" He laughed, successfully finding my weak spot. He smashed my head into the hard, wood floors before trotting off to the living room.

The moment he was gone, I picked up my bag and ran into my room. I locked the door before dragging my feet towards the bathroom. I took a wash cloth and wiped the blood from my face, hissing everytime I accidently pressed too hard. I took off my clothes and the shower. I looked over my body, seeing if there are bruises that I'd have to treat later. There were a few new bruises, surprisingly, but I shrugged it off and took a shower.

The night went by slowly as I did my homework and treated my wounds. My stomach begged to be fed, but I knew that there was no food at home. Just wait till its midnight Onew, just wait; I told myself over and over again. The second the clock hands meet, I unlock my door and tiptoe towards my father's room. He always keeps a stash of cash in his underwear drawer, inwhich I steal from most of the time. I take some 20s and carefully slip out of the house. I pulled the hoodie over my head and walked towards the nearest 24-hour convenient store. The old man at the convenient store that I usually go to has always pitied me, his wife and him always ask meif I'm doing ok and give me little gifts. When I walked in, the old man motioned me to come over.

"You've been ok, son? We just got new deliveries on your favorite lunch box and snacks." I bow and thank him before heading over to pick up my food. If only he was my father...

My stomach screams at me to hurry and buy the food so I rush over to the cash it up. My eyes were locked onto the food in my arms that I didn't realize that someone was in front of me, resulting in us colliding together and my food dropped on the floor. I groan and stand up to only find Minho staring at me. I mutter a sorry before picking up my food and heading to the counter, but a hand grabs onto my arm.

"Onew, right?" I silently curse in my head but put on a fake smile.

"Sorry I didn't notice you, Minho right?" He nodded hesitantly, like he was really nervous.

"Thanks. I mean, thanks for taking care of Jonghyun today." Well, that took me by surpise.

"Uh, yeah. It's no problem, I'm used to it."

"Yeah... Well- Uh what are you here for?"

I laughed and held up the food in my arms, "Got hungry, haha. You?"

"Jonghyun's y at home and he ordered me to get ice cream." He chuckled.

"Ah, well, I'll see you tomorrow?" I was about to turn around but Minho's hand stopped me again.

"Wait! I'm also sorry for the way I looked at you earlier, or well yesterday."

"It's okay, I'm used to that too." I smiled at him. "As long as Jonghyun is fine and everything, nothing else matters."

'Can I ask you a favor? It's okay if you don't want to because I can understand why you won't want to."

"I'm sure it won't, you need some money?"

He shook his head, "Can you please take care of Jonghyun? He's had it rough and I work all day and can't take care of him or go to school with him. He's really smart and if he can just feel everything in and around the school then he can remember it all. He is blind, but he's still very smart."

"It won't be any problem. I'll protect him. I won't let anything happen to him unless I can't help it." I smiled and patted him on the shoulder.

"Promise?" He held out his pinky, eyes pleading.

"Promise." I smiled and linked my pinky with his.

We said our byes and I left to go home and eat. The meal had tasted better than usual. Probably because he met Jonghyun or that Minho trusted him, or even both. I fell asleep with a smile that night.

A/N: Crappy chapter is crappy. Sorry this took long! I really don't update often because I am either taking care of my baby brother, on Gaia, or sleeping. Kekekeke, hope you'll stay through the end with me! I will try to update sooner and better ^^v

Tuan is sorry! Or well, he better be! O:<