FIVE

A Misunderstanding (Whole Version)

 

Kevin's POV

 

Five minutes later we were in Eli's car driving down a back road. It was quiet in the car and it was starting to get dark outside. I looked over at Eli. His eyes were concentrated on the road with one hand firmly on the steering wheel and the other resting on the gear shift. I traced his lean muscles with my eyes until he noticed me looking at him.

 

What? Do I have something on my face?” He lifted his hand and rubbed his face.

 

I giggled and looked out the window again. I looked at the reflection of all the lit up buttons on the window and noticed Eli glancing up at me. I smiled even bigger and sank down in my seat.

 

All of a sudden I felt myself being thrown forward into the dashboard. “Whoa!” I caught myself with my hands and looked over to Eli to see what happened. “Eli? What the hell was that?” I demanded.

 

Eli had both hands grasping the wheel, his knuckles white. He looked over at me slowly with wide eyes. “I. . .don't know.” He whispered. “I. . .just saw something in the road and it was so big so I stomped on the brakes but now it's gone.”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows. “What? That's not possible.” I looked at the road again and all I saw was the road and surrounding trees lit up by the headlights. “I don't see anything.”

 

No! Dude! I saw something! I swear! It was right there! It was. . .big and brown I don't know. But I definitely saw something.”

 

I shook my head. “I don't know. I didn't see anything and there's nothing there now. Let's just get going. It's kinda-whoa!” I was interrupted by the car jerking to the side. I looked out the passenger window but saw nothing.

 

Eli? What was that?” I asked, my voiced cracked on his name. He was panting like I was and looked over to reply.

 

I don't ing know and I don't want to ing find out!” He put the car in gear and took off down the unlit road.

 

-4 Hours Later-

 

Eli! I had a fantastic night!” I laughed in the passenger seat of his car. It was the truth. I did have a great night. He took me out to the restaurant I hadn't even heard of before. After that, we went to see a random movie. “Eli. This totally made my day. Thank you.” I put my hand over his.

 

You're welcome Kevin. I'm glad you're happy. Do you wanna go to my place or yours?” He asked.

 

I thought for a second. “My place. I feel better there. It's familiar.” I mumbled.

 

Were you answering me or talking to yourself?” He raised an eyebrow.

 

Oh? Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about what happened today. . .” I sighed. “I can't believe I did that to him. Would you ever think I would do that? Cheat on someone? I only did it for revenge. . .” I looked over at Eli who had gone silent.

 

His breathing was shallow. “You. . .only had with me for. . .revenge?” He muttered.

 

What? Oh no no no! No Eli! That's not what I meant-”

 

No, I know exactly what you meant!” He yelled. I cowered in my seat as he stopped the car. I looked out my window to find us in the parking garage of my apartment building.

 

Eli, please-” I pleaded.

 

Save it. Now get the hell out of my car.” He said looking straight ahead with a stone cold face.

 

Eli-”

 

I said get the hell out!” He had tears in his eyes.

 

I closed my eyes and opened the door. I stepped out onto the cold concrete floor and watched him drive away. I walked back up to my apartment with tears stinging my eyes.