Chapter 2

Here I Am

 

Kwanghee could hear him following him. Why wouldn't he leave him alone? He spun around, coming face to face with the guy who had single-handedly ruined his week. “What do you want?”

Siwan shrugged. “I don't really know where we are, so I figured that I could just follow you around.”

Kwanghee gaped. “You don't know where we are?”

Not really.” Siwan leaned against a phone booth. “This whole thing wasn't really planned out. I just did whatever.”

You just did–“ Kwanghee groaned and slammed his face into his palm. He stared through his fingers, ready to yell at the other again, but then he saw what was behind him. “Hey, you got any money?”

Siwan frowned slightly and dug around in his pocket. He stared at his hand. “I've got–“

Thanks.” Kwanghee snatched the small amount of change from the man's hand and walked into the phone booth, closing the door behind him. He fed the coins into the machine and tried to remember Minwoo's number. The phone rang. And rang. And rang.

Hey, this is Minwoo! I'm not home, so leave a message!”

Kwanghee waited until he heard a small beep. “Minwoo, I got off at the wrong stop or something. I left all my stuff on the train, and I don't really know where I am right now. I'll...I'll try calling you again when I figure out what's going on.” He put the receiver back. Minwoo must have left already. Didn't he have a cell phone?

Kwanghee opened the door of the booth and stuck his head out. “I need more change.”

That's all I had.”

Kwanghee stomped out of the phone booth and glared at the man who had been his idol for four years. “So you have nothing?”

Siwan nodded.

Kwanghee sputtered. “W-what?”

Like I said,” Siwan sounded slightly annoyed. “I didn't plan any of this out.”

Kwanghee was going to go crazy. He could feel it. He buried his hands in his pockets and walked around the phone booth a couple of times before he felt something land on his shoulder. He stared at it. There was a dark spot on his red hoodie. Oh no. He looked up and felt something land on his face. It was raining.

He grabbed Siwan's arm and pulled him over to the side, under the cover of a closed shop. They waited there, Siwan leaning back and trying, in vain, to fall asleep whilst Kwanghee glared at nothing in particular and tapped his foot impatiently.

 

When the rain showed signs of letting up, Kwanghee grabbed Siwan and woke him up. “We're going back to the train station.”

The black-haired man groaned, trying to get away. “What's the point? We have no money to buy any other train tickets.”

Kwanghee said nothing and stepped up the station. He argued with the ticket salesman for a good hour before he was threatened to be thrown out. He scoffed and walked away.

Siwan stepped forward. “Is there a nice place to get food around here?”

The man behind the desk nodded. “There's a small bar in the center of town. It's the only thing open at ten in the evening. You can't miss it.”

Siwan nodded and walked back to Kwanghee.

Why did you ask? We don't have any money.” Kwanghee frowned, deeply confused.

Siwan shrugged. “I'm hungry.”

Kwanghee's stomach gave a low growl in agreement. He pursed his lips, trying to devise a plan to get dinner. They could beg on the street. No, he could never bring himself to look like a beggar. Perhaps he could look through dumpsters? Kwanghee shook his head at the thought. Eew. Definitely not. He tapped his foot twice before an idea hit him. He turned to face Siwan and grinned.

What?”

Kwanghee danced over to stand beside the man. “Where did you say that restaurant was?”

Siwan frowned slightly. “In the center of town. But we can't go, remember? We're broke.” He eyed the brunet when he showed no sign of discouragement. “What are you thinking about?”

Never mind that.” Kwanghee flipped his hand and grabbed a hold of the other. “Off we go!”

 

Kwanghee stared through the window. The place was filled with teenagers. Was it a weeknight? He honestly didn't know.

Are you just going to stand there?”

Kwanghee was about to respond, but a waitress walked past the window with a tray full of mashed potatoes smothered in gravy. It was beautiful. He could see the steam rolling off the dish and into the air. He was disappointed when she placed it on a table and the couple seated there began eating, smiles filling their faces. It had to taste better than it looked, which seemed quite impossible.

Hey, are we going in?”

Kwanghee jumped. He had completely forgot about Siwan. “Yeah, sure. Let's go.” He stepped inside and was greeted with a sign that asked him to seat himself and order at the bar. He reached back to grab Siwan's hand and pulled them through the busy building. As they paused to let people by, he saw a table filled with a group of guys who looked scary. They were whispering about something.

Kwanghee made a mental note to sit far away from the group. He found a secluded table for two in a corner of the bar and read the menu out loud that was on a board behind Siwan's head. “I'll take a chicken salad.” He smiled, shooing Siwan away.

The man raised an eyebrow. “And how exactly are we paying for this?”

Never mind that.” Kwanghee crossed his arms. “I'm hungry.” He watched as Siwan left. Oh, how he had missed those broad shoulders and those dark eyes. Kwanghee's more easily excited side kicked in. He had actually talked to him!

He shook his head furiously. No. He had just left a relationship. He didn't want to look easy, did he? And on top of that, Siwan had demonstrated how much of a jerk he was. What was Kwanghee doing, fawning over the man like some lackey? He frowned, leaning back in his seat and throwing his hands over his face. He was aware that a few customers were throwing him wary glances.

He pulled himself together and sat up straight. He just had to think about something else. His stomach responded with an angry growl.

Perfect.

Kwanghee subtly looked at the other patrons of the bar and grinned when he saw a slightly beefy man and what looked to be his girlfriend sitting at the table in front of him, the man sitting directly behind where Siwan would be seating.

The black-haired man came back with a number on a stick. “They said that when we were done, we should flip the number upside down and the waitress would come and give us a check.”

Kwanghee nodded slowly. It would work. He settled for glaring the target down, hoping that it would help to ensure that he stayed until Kwanghee put the plan in action. He eyed Siwan a couple times and saw that the man was staring outside, looking perturbed about something. Kwanghee saw a slight hint of the hottie he had adored in high school in that face, and tried to hide his glee.

Chicken salad?”

Kwanghee grinned wildly and waved an arm in the air. “Here!” The waitress sent him an amused smile and slid the plate in front of him.

And I suppose this is for you?” She leaned in front of Siwan.

Kwanghee looked up and stared, feeling rather awkward as Siwan traded a smile and a wink with the brunette before she left, giggling. Their eyes met. “So, what was so bad about your fiance?”

Siwan shrugged, starting to eat his food. “Nothing, really. I never really felt anything for her. She was like a sister.” He paused, drinking the beer he had ordered. “I'm not saying she wasn't hot.”

Kwanghee was starting to doubt his taste in men. Had he always been interested in guys like this? He stabbed a pile of lettuce, trying to take his anger out on something other than the man seated in front of him. It was really hard.

I think I'm going to leave after this.”

Kwanghee's head shot up.

Siwan carefully ate a piece of chicken. “You're kind of boring. Maybe I'll go to a bigger city. They might have a club or something.”

The lighter brunet dropped his fork onto the table. That was it. It was time for his plan to go into action. He had decided that he wasn't really hungry anymore. “See that guy behind you?” He waited until Siwan nodded. “Punch him.”

Siwan's eyes widened. “What? Are you crazy? Look at him!”

Kwanghee shrugged. “Did you want your food for free or not?”

Siwan sighed.

Kwanghee leaned back, interested as to how this would play out.

The younger of the two abruptly pushed his chair back and hit the man behind him. Siwan turned to face him with a scowl on his face. “Hey! Watch what you're doing!”

The man raised an eyebrow and stood. “Excuse me?”

The girl across from him began fretting. “Don't do it. He's just trying to make you angry.”

The man ignored the girl and took a couple steps towards Siwan, who took a few steps back. “Were you talking to me?”

Kwanghee watched with growing dread as Siwan nodded. He didn't like the guy, but he didn't want him to die, either. His eyes almost shot out of his head when Siwan raised a first and quickly punched the man in his gut. It wasn't enough to hurt him, but it was enough to make him really angry. Kwanghee stood. He could beg the owner to let them go or something. They didn't have to do this. He watched as the man cornered Siwan, not far from the table filled with the scary men.

Siwan, don't-” Kwanghee started to say, but stopped when the burly man's first connected with the other's face and sent him stumbling backward until he fell onto the scary men's table, holding his face. He had been staring at Kwanghee, so he hadn't seen the punch coming.

The men seated at the table stood. One pulled Siwan further down the table. A couple others rolled their sleeves up. There were six in all. They walked towards the man who had thrown the punch, glaring.

Don't look at me, that idiot started–“

Apparently, it wasn't the day for negotiation. One of the more shorter men in the group walked over and threw his fist forward in a windmill motion, hitting the guy square in the face.

His date got up and walked towards the group. “That's my boyfriend, you pigs!” She slapped the closest man to her, one of the taller ones. He sighed and led her towards a table and swept a leg behind her calves, sending her falling onto the table. The group of five seated there stood, some glaring at the girl–who hadn't seen what had happened–and others glaring at the man.

Kwanghee blinked and suddenly the place was full of people screaming and hurling things at each other. Well, it wasn't what he had planned, but it worked. He started making his way around the crowd, dodging punches and turning people away from him. They didn't notice. Like the others, they were too involved in the fight.

Kwanghee grabbed the groaning Siwan from the table and ran with him through the double doors and into the still-moist air. He turned the other to face him and led them both towards a streetlight. It was easy, since Siwan was still out of it. He inspected the other's face and cringed.

That couldn't be good.