Chapter 4

Here I Am

 

Home sweet home!” The leader of the six shouts, throwing open a door and spreading his arms.

Kwanghee cringed slightly and moved closer to Siwan, clinging to the man's arm. He was shaken off, but stayed by the other's side anyway. They were both surrounded by a strange group that seemed ready to kill to get what they wanted. Kwanghee had already prayed for a way out on the journey to wherever they were going, but it seemed that his pleas were going unanswered. To make up for that, he decided that he would stick by Siwan's side, since the two only had each other. For some reason, it seemed that the dark-haired man did not share the same idea.

Stop blocking the door.”

Kwanghee scowled as the shortest pushed his way through, but stopped as soon as Siwan began to follow. He attached himself to Siwan's back and followed him in, grimacing as the slightly shorter man shook him off. Kwanghee took the moment to look around. They had walked with the group down one of the streets lined with cute cafès and continued until reaching a rather shady-looking area. The leader had directed them up a hidden metal staircase around the back of the building and into where they were now.

He couldn't help but feel homesick. The living room and kitchen were mashed together; side by side and there appeared to be no dining room or even a table to eat at. There was a long hall, but Kwanghee had only just noticed it when Siwan spoke.

Did we follow you all the way here just to stand in your apartment?”

Kwanghee tried to shoot his companion a bunch of gestures he had decided meant 'calm down', but the other didn't seem to get it. Siwan continued to shoot glares at all of the others in the room after the front door had closed.

I bet you're wondering why we asked you to come here.” The guy standing next to the leader stated with a pleased grin.

The leader rolled his eyes. “Ignore Kevin. Shall we do introductions?” He stepped towards Kwanghee and Siwan, offering his hand. “Junyoung.”

Kwanghee jumped forward and grabbed the man's hand. “Hwang Kwanghee.” He nudged Siwan with his elbow, and was given a glare. Kwanghee sighed as Junyoung offered his hand to the other man, slowly letting it drop as he was ignored. “And that's Im Siwan.”

Don't tell them my name!”

He's just upset because he lost all of my stuff.” Kwanghee threw an arm around his companion. “It's okay, Siwannie, you can get it all back for me later.”

Why would I do that?” The other shouted, throwing Kwanghee off of him. “Because of you, I got punched in the face!”

How's your nose?”

Both men stopped their argument to stare at the guy who had helped him out earlier. Siwan gently poked the appendage. “It's..better.”

That's a relief.” The angular man replied with an honest smile.

That's Taehun.” Junyoung jumped in, determined to continue with his introductions.

I'm Kevin.” Kevin stepped forward, determined to speak for himself.

Beside him is Heechul.” Junyoung cut in quickly, pointing to the crazy guy who'd taken out his knife again. “He's virtually harmless.”

Hey!”

Put it away.” The tallest, who was hiding behind Junyoung, hissed.

That's Hyungsik, and the last one over there is Dongjun, our gymnast.”

You need a gymnast?” Kwanghee asked doubtfully.

Kevin crossed his arms. “Everyone needs a gymnast.”

So, what do you think? Will you do it?” Hyungsik almost whispered, his deep voice surprising Kwanghee.

When he was done being shocked, Kwanghee looked over at Siwan, who had apparently stopped being mad at him to share in his confusion.

Agree to what?” Siwan asked.

We didn't tell you?”

I don't think we did.” Dongjun answered Junyoung, stepping forward. “I'll do it. So, we have this problem: this guy in the neighborhood is threatening our...gang. We told them about it, so they said they'd fight us. Now, because of Heechul,”

It's not my fault!”

we have a fight at the end of the month. We were actually looking for people to help us out–just the six of us won't cut it–when we saw you two picking a fight with that huge guy in the restaurant. So, will you help us?”

Siwan shot Kwanghee a murderous glare. “You want me to fight somebody?”

All six of the men nodded.

No way. Make this guy do it. It's all his fault anyway.”

My fault?” Kwanghee fumed. “I was on my way to a week off with my friend when you pulled me off of the train. Now I don't have anything.”

Well, neither do I.”

You have me!”

Siwan scoffed. “Yeah, and look where that got me.”

You ungrateful–“

So, have you decided yet?” Kevin interrupts, wanting an answer.

Siwan raises his eyebrows. “An answer to what?”

Will you do it?” Junyoung asks seriously. “Will you help us?”

We can let you stay here, if you do.” Hyungsik adds from somewhere in the back.

Yes.” Kwanghee answered immediately. “He'll do it.”

Siwan's eyes widen. “What? No! And what do you mean 'he'll do it'? You're going to have to fight, too.”

Actually, not really.” Kevin chimes in. “The guy–Chulmoo–only has a party of seven. We really only need one more person.”

That doesn't mean that you can't stay.” Junyoung adds.

But he shouldn't fight with us.” Heechul cuts in. “He'd only weigh us down.”

Kwanghee placed his hands on his hips and gaped at the man. How dare he! “I can fight as good as any–“

No you can't.” Siwan quickly stops the other's blown-out speech. “Fine. I'll do it.”

It gets quiet as Junyoung considers what to say next, but is stopped by a hand placed on his shoulder. He looks down to see Dongjun yawning widely.

Can we go to bed now?”

Junyoung nods. “Yeah. We'll talk about all of this tomorrow.” He takes a step towards the two standing beside the door as the group around him disperses and heads down the hall. “I'll tell you the layout of the apartment. It's small, but it works. Feel free to make yourselves at home. You're in the living room right now, the television is right there, behind you. Through that little opening on your right is the kitchen and down the hall behind me are the bedrooms and the bathroom.”

The 'bathroom'?” Kwanghee frowns. “Aren't you missing an 's' there? Plural?”

Junyoung shakes his head. “We share it. Like I said, small apartment. There's three bedrooms; two beds in each room. The bathroom is all the way back, on the right. If you need me, I'm all the way back on the left. So, I'll go get you some blankets and one of you can take the couch and the other can–“

Wait. You want me to sleep in the same room as that?” Siwan grimaces, pointing at Kwanghee.

The brunet frowns. “Did you just call me 'that'?”

Siwan ignores him. “He's given me nothing but trouble for the past twelve hours. You can't possibly expect me to sleep in the same room as him. He'll find some way of inadvertently harming me. He's really good at that.”

Kwanghee stomps his foot.

I don't know. We don't have any spare beds and I can't really–“

He can have my bed.”

Junyoung turned, and Siwan and Kwanghee looked past the man to see the tallest of the six standing in the hallway.

I don't mind.” Hyungsik stated with a shrug.

You're my favorite.” Siwan shoulders his way past Junyoung and starts down the hall.

I'm the first room on the right. My bed's the one that Taehun isn't sleeping on.” Hyungsik receives a wave from the man, and reaches over to lay a hand on Junyoung's shoulder. “I'll get the blankets. You can go to bed.”

Junyoung nods his thanks and drags himself down the hall. Hyungsik disappears around a corner, and Kwanghee is left to himself. The brunet sits on the couch and fiddles with the small rips and tears in the fabric.

You can have the couch. I'll take the floor.” Hyungsik states, throwing a black blanket on top of Kwanghee, saving the red for himself. “You can use the pillows on the couch, if that's okay.”

Sure.” Kwanghee lays down, getting settled on the ancient piece of furniture. “You don't have to sleep on the floor.” He mutters, hoping that the man would still offer to sleep there. He was only trying to be polite.

Hyungsik grins. “It's fine. And between you and me, my mattress is as hard as a rock. The carpet is like a cloud right now.” He sighs happily.

Kwanghee laughs and stares at the taller man who's facing him.

So, you like him?”

Kwanghee sputters for a minute, somehow entangling himself in his blanket. “NO. And what? How did you even–“

I can just tell.” Hyungsik grins, folding his hands together and placing his chin on top.

Kwanghee smiles, catching on. “I see. Have you got anyone?”

Hyungsik shakes his head. “No, all the guys here aren't my type. And even if they were, it would be weird. Like dating my brother.” He wrinkles his nose. “There's a few in town...but they have horrible attitudes. I'm just waiting until I can bust out and find my guy somewhere out there.”

Kwanghee laughs. “Sounds like you've got everything figured out.”

Hyungsik nods fiercely, frowning when the brunet lets out a wide yawn. “You can go to sleep, if you want. We can talk all day tomorrow.”

All day?” Kwanghee repeated with a chuckle.

Yeah. Now I finally have somebody to talk to things about. We can eat lunch together, and go shopping, and everything!”

Kwanghee smiles at the man's excitement. “I can't really argue with that.” He yawns one last time, faintly listening as Hyungsik goes on about his plans.