Chapter 3

Here I Am

 

 “What is it?” Siwan asked, coming to as he saw the look on the other's face.

Kwanghee bit his lip. “Well, it looks like it hurts. Does it hurt?”

Like hell.” Siwan groaned. “What's wrong with it?” He gestured to his face.

Kwanghee frowned deeply. “It's bleeding.”

Siwan pushed the man away, muttering about him being no help, and stumbled over to a puddle of water. He stared at his reflection and gaped. A drop of blood trickled down his chin and fell into the puddle. It was only from a small cut, but that wasn't what worried him. Were noses supposed to bend that way?

Kwanghee winced when he heard the other let out a small shout. He could sympathize. If that was him, he would have already started crying.

He didn't even know whether he would have had a nose or not after a punch like that. He'd had plastic surgery, and now had a sleek and straight nose that was unable to bend in any way. He was slightly glad that it was Siwan that had been hit, not himself.

He tapped his foot, standing behind the shocked man awkwardly. He started whistling, but stopped.”I'm gonna...go walk around.” He stated finally.

Good.” Siwan spat. “Leave me alone.”

Kwanghee frowned at the man's slight personality change, but let it go. I was slightly understandable. He skipped down the street and around the corner. He kept walking until he noticed a small sign.

WELCOME TO LOUISVILLE

Louisville? It sounded kind of generic. Kwanghee shrugged and looked at the town. It wasn't what he was used to. Each of the small buildings only had two floors. From where he stood, he could see a cafe, a small grocer's, and a pet boutique.

He frowned.

The street was made up of rectangular rocks, and he could only see two cars. Each of the buildings seemed to be new, but were based on old european designs. It was quite cute. Kwanghee grinned. The town seemed very peaceful.

A small gust of wind blew by, ridding the man of all of his previous worries. He took a breath and smiled. He wasn't worried anymore. He felt free.

 

A thing to know about Kwanghee was that he had rare but radical mood changes. They often drove Minwoo crazy, and led the man to hang up during their weekly talks.

The man danced down the small streets, admiring the cute little streetlights and nice stores. He couldn't wait to see what this place looked like during the day. He had an urge to just quit his job and spend the rest of his life here.

It didn't seem like such a bad idea.

He heard groans in the distance and stopped his daydreaming to wonder what it was. Kwanghee walked towards the sounds and saw a black haired man sitting on the curb, with his head in his hands.

Oh, right.

Kwanghee danced over and stood in front of the man. “Feeling better?”

No.”

Kwanghee frowned and twirled a bit. “Why?”

Seriously?” Siwan looked up finally, a hand cautiously placed in front of his nose. “I got punched. I don't mean to whine or anything, but it hurts.” He sneered, his voice sounding nasally. “What's with you? Why are you so happy?”

Well, since you asked...” Kwanghee smiled, moving to sit beside the man. “I love this place! I could stay here forever!”

Siwan narrowed his eyes, reached over, and firmly slapped the man across his cheek.

Kwanghee let out a shout and stood, caressing his cheek. “What was that for?”

You're too happy.” Siwan grumbled. “You needed to suffer.”

Kwanghee gave his sore cheek a couple pats and stared at the unhappy man. “You're just upset.”

Of course I am!” Siwan began, a whine evident. “My face is broken!”

Kwanghee sighed and turned around as the man continued. Should he just leave him? He was being kind of a downer. Kwanghee shook head. No, high school had to count for something.

Hey.”

Kwanghee turned, ignoring the complaints from the man on the ground. He was faced with a group of scary-looking guys. This could easily turn into a bad situation, especially considering what had just happened. He in a breath. “Can I help you?”

Yes, actually.” One of them stepped forward, he seemed to be in charge. “We require your assistance. Both of you.”

The guy on the ground behind Kwanghee glanced up. “With what?”

A different guy poked his head out from behind the leader. “How good are you with a knife?”

Kwanghee's jaw popped open.

A third man reached forward and his the second on the back of his head. “Jeez, Dongjun! Does the word 'subtle' mean anything to you?”

Siwan stood and walked over to Kwanghee, trying not to obviously lean on the other. “What do you mean?”

The leader sighed. “We've got trouble. The six of us might not be enough. We don't want to get anyone else here involved. They're all good people.”

Oh, and we're not?” Siwan sent them all glares, blood dripping down his neck from his face. “That isn't happening.” He turned to leave.

Wait right there!” A fourth man popped out with a small back object. He pressed a button and a small blade broke free.

The other five all groaned. The leader sighed. “Heechul...”

The man ignored them all. “I know how to use this. Help us out or pretty boy right there gets his face sliced up.”

Kwanghee's eyes widened and he stared at Siwan.

The other man groaned, seeing the obvious fear in the other's eyes. “Fine.”

The six all gave a small shout of glee and arranged themselves into a circle.

Siwan tried to walk away from Kwanghee, but his foot fell from beneath him and Kwanghee was forced to catch him, groaning slightly.

The brown-haired man stared at the other worriedly. “Are you okay?”

I don't think so.” Siwan drawled out. “Everything is...fuzzy.”

Where was he hurt?”

Kwanghee jumped, almost letting go of the collapsing man. He turned to face one of the guys who hadn't talked. He looked very scary. With a strong jaw, thick arms, and broad shoulders, he made Kwanghee feel very small. On top of that, he was wearing sunglasses. At night. Kwanghee had decided long ago that all men who wore sunglasses when it wasn't light out were to be avoided. He realized that they guy was staring at him from underneath those large brown glasses. Kwanghee realized the guy had asked him a question. “Um, well, I'm not sure exactly/ But, he said something about his nose.”

The scary guy helped Kwanghee drag the man over to a lamp post, and Kwanghee tried to hold the guy steady while the other leaned down to get a look at his face. “Oh, I see.”

Kwanghee watched as the guy raised his hands, and then he heard a sickening crack. Siwan, who he'd previously thought was unconscious, sprang out of his arms and away from the man.

!” He cursed, hands hovering around his face. “What the hell!”

The guy with sunglasses smiled, pleased with his work, and walked back to the circle of men.

Kwanghee approached Siwan and blinked. “Hey, he fixed your nose.”

Siwan's eyebrows rose and he leaned over to look at himself in one of the puddles. He removed his hands slowly. “So he did.” He stared at the slightly bleeding feature and gave it a slight poke, hissing after.

We're going now.” The leader announced, directing his sizable group across the street.

Kwanghee and Siwan joined the end, wondering where they were going.