Chapter 1

Here I Am

 

Yes, Minwoo, don't worry. I'm fine.”

The man on the other end of the line sighed. “Just...get here quickly, okay?”

Kwanghee rolled his eyes. “It's not the end of the world. It's just another bad relationship.” He whispered.

I know. I've seen what happens in the movies. I don't want you to be alone right now, so just hurry up.”

Kwanghee switched his phone to his other ear and tried to push his loaded bag in the luggage bin over his seat. He was wearing a small backpack filled with other valuables, but the larger bag had all of his clothes in it.

You still there?”

Kwanghee successfully pushed his bag into the space above and moved down to sit in the seat that was closest to the window. “Minwoo, it's a train. I can't tell them to go any faster.”

The man on the other line let out a huff. “Fine.” There was a loud beeping the background.

Kwanghee pulled the phone away from his ear and laughed slightly. “Minwoo, did you leave your oven on?”

Um, no.” Minwoo muttered, then swore. “I just...gotta go now. I'll see you later.”

Kwanghee smiled and closed his flip phone, getting comfortable in the padded chair. He had just recently been dumped–again–by his latest boyfriend. A zookeeper. The guy had been nice enough. They went on dates every weekend and Kwanghee tried his very best to visit him every day.

So, it was a surprise to him when the guy had called of their date, a couple of weeks ago. Kwanghee went to see him, wondering what was wrong. The guy seemed upset when he got there, and Kwanghee asked what was wrong.

The guy said that he couldn't do it anymore. He said that Kwanghee was far too childish and clingy, and he couldn't stand it any longer. Right on the spot, he broke up with an obligatory 'it's not you, it's me'.

Kwanghee pretended like he understood, even though he didn't, and wished the man well. He stopped by a grocery store on the way home and bought a pint of chocolate ice cream. He cried his heart out while stuffing his face with anything he could find that was sweet, and didn't go to work the next day.

Then Minwoo called.

Minwoo had been his best friend for the duration of elementary and middle school, but had moved away before high school because of his father's job. The guy insisted that they keep in contact, and so, eleven years later, they still called each other at least once a week.

Kwanghee couldn't help the overflow that occurred as soon as he heard his friend's voice. And Minwoo, as usual, was there for him. The guy had supported him when he had decided to come out, and when he needed those extra few dollars to finish college. Kwanghee could never repay his friend for what he had done.

Once again, Minwoo came to the rescue. He invited Kwanghee to stay with him for a week or two, until he got over the failed relationship. Minwoo worked as an accountant, and had a large home that he kept in great shape. He had plans for a large family in the future, and didn't want to have to move.

Kwanghee didn't want to impose, but Minwoo had insisted, calling him back every hour on the dot to ask if he'd changed his mind.

As soon as Kwanghee gave up and gave in, Minwoo told him to pack his things and then check his e-mail. The older of the two did so, not minding being bossed around. In his e-mail he found a verification for a train that would be leaving in five hours. There was also something from Minwoo, estimating the time of the trip and directions of where to get off and where to meet the younger. Kwanghee replied with a hasty 'Thank you' and started preparing for the trip.

Minwoo had decided that he would be staying for a week, and Kwanghee had no problems with that. Seven full days of not having to deal with his co-workers at his small and crowded office job. It would be heaven.

Kwanghee pursed his lips and furrowed his eyebrows. What exactly did he do? He had never really been sure, and his boss only asked him to make copies on the rare occasion he was let out of his cubicle. He had majored in statistics, but he never used that skill in his job. He liked to think that he was overqualified, not useless.

He pushed the seat back slightly and stared out of the window. One tree, two tree, three tree.

This was going to be very boring.

Kwanghee searched through his bag for something to do. He settled for pulling out the note Minwoo had sent him. The ride would be around six hours long. He groaned and threw the paper back in his bag.

It had started raining outside. Kwanghee curled himself into a ball on the seat and looked around the cabin. There was only one other inside, an elderly woman who held a fluffy bag on her lap. He sat back down and stared out the window.

His bored feeling melted away as he was mesmerized by the small tracks made by the drops of rain on the window. He yawned, suddenly realizing how tired he was. He rested his head on the window and hoped that he would wake up before the train reached his station.

 

Kwanghee was awakened not by the train as it stopped, but by the jostling of his seat. He ignored it until he felt something hit him. He sighed and quickly turned around, glaring at whatever had disturbed the best nap he'd had for a long while. His jaw dropped when he saw who was sitting next to him. No way.

The man was thin, and had a slightly pinched face. He was staring over the top of the seats in front of him, and jumped back in the seat when the door to the cabin opened and two suited men walked out.

He turned to face Kwanghee and smiled slightly. “Good. You're up.” He whispered. “Nice weather, isn't it?”

Kwanghee stared at the man and then at the window, frowning. “No, not really.”

Pity, isn't it?” The man lowered his voice as the suited men grew closer. “Well, at least the trees will have something. I love trees you know, all their leaves and...” He trailed off as the suited men shared a look and then exited the cabin. When the door closed, he let out a sigh of relief.

Kwanghee continued to stare.

The man stuck out his hand. “Sorry 'bout that. My name is Im Woong Jae. But everyone calls me Siwan.”

Kwanghee fought the urge to roll his eyes. Of course he knew who the man was. He'd had a severe crush on the man back in high school, after all.

 

Siwan was almost unapproachable, save for the handful of kids who were good-looking, smart, and musically gifted. Having extremely rich parents didn't hurt, either.

Since Kwanghee was none of the above, he settled for living in the guy's shadow. He stared at the black-haired beauty during lunch and the few classes they shared. He had even started a fan club in the man's name and moderated it. It had over a hundred members by his senior year. Of course, he had never talked to Siwan or even shared eye contact.

But, that was okay. Because, despite all the love Kwanghee had for the man, it could never work.

Im Siwan was painfully and obviously straight.

A little too straight, Kwanghee thought sometimes, when he would catch the guy looking at half-covered cleavage of passing girls. It honestly scared him sometimes.

Siwan had been a very important figure in Kwanghee's life. The man had directly caused a chain reaction that ended with Kwanghee admitting his uality junior year. He had almost approached the ever-serious student at graduation, but had chickened out. It hadn't really mattered. Kwanghee had gone away to college and all but forgotten about his high school crush.

Well, until now.

 

Kwanghee gulped. Should he say his name? What if Siwan remembered him? What if he had known about him? He stuck his hand out and took his chances. “Hwang Kwanghee.”

Siwan nodded, keeping the greeting formal. He firmly shook the hand given.

Kwanghee felt a shiver crawl up his arm, but he wasn't cold. He held back a flinch as his hand was squeezed particularly hard and nursed it once it was released.

Well, you seem to have caught me at a bad time.” Siwan glanced down the hallway to make sure the suited men weren't coming back.

Kwanghee frowned, curious as to who the two men were. It wasn't really in his nature to hold back questions. “How so? Who were those guys?”

Siwan grimaced before meeting Kwanghee's gaze. “Okay, stranger. I'll tell you my life story if you promise to help me.”

Kwanghee nodded quickly. That didn't sound too bad.

My high school sweetheart is hunting me down.” He said simply. “Well, if I had known that she just wanted marriage, I wouldn't have stuck around for six years. Long story short, she thought I was cheating on her so she was about to force me into immediate marriage through both of our parents. I snuck out last night, but some of the bodyguards followed me. I just need to hide out for a while, until this whole thing blows over.”

Kwanghee frowned. Bodyguards? Who was this girl? “Did you cheat on her?”

It was a one-night stand.” Siwan said, as though it was reasonable. “Those don't count.”

Kwanghee curled his lip slightly. What had he seen in this guy?

“–so I would really appreciate it if you could help me out.” The black-haired man finished with a hopeful smile.

Oh, right. That smile. Kwanghee had once hypothesized that it could make even the strictest of vegetarians agree to eat at a steakhouse. It had yet to be proved, but Kwanghee figured he was right. “Okay.” He didn't know what he was agreeing to, but what else could he say to that smile?

Great. They're coming again.” Siwan leaned over Kwanghee and pretended to look out the window for birds or something. He started muttering about a certain species as the pair of scary men made their way down the cabin hallway and out the other door.

Kwanghee was sure that his heart was going to fly right out of his chest. He tried to remind himself that he had just gotten out of a bad relationship, but the stupid organ wouldn't listen.

That should be it.” Siwan leaned back.

Kwanghee gave a quick nod and glanced around. There was no one. The old lady had left. “Hey, are you going to...move?”

The man gave a slight shake of the head. “No, it would be more obvious to find me sitting alone. And I can't take any chances.”

Kwanghee raised an eyebrow and went back to staring out the window. The guy was nuts! The sooner he left and this whole episode was forgotten, the better. The train slowed slightly as it neared the next stop.

Let's go.”

What?” Kwanghee struggled lightly as he was dragged out of his seat. “What are you talking about?”

Hey, I have your word.” Siwan reminded, opening the door to the outside. “You'd said you'd help me if I told you what was going on.”

Kwanghee opened his mouth and closed it. Well, that was slightly true. But he hadn't known that it meant leaving the train! “But, this isn't my stop.” He protested lightly, trying to escape the man's hold.

Well, it's too late for that.” Siwan stated, stepping out of the train. He let go of his captive's arm as the train began its slow departure to pull up his hood.

Kwanghee stared at the train, feeling abandoned. He continued watching until the train had gone so far that he could no longer see it. He might as well call Minwoo to tell him what had happened, and that he wouldn't be there. He reached down in his pocket to grab his phone. Nothing. Kwanghee frowned, reaching inside his other pocket. Nothing there either. Where had he put it? Oh, right. The backpack.

The backpack!

Kwanghee's features contorted into a look of utter horror as the realization hit him. His luggage, his backpack, everything. It was all back on the train. The train that had left. It was probably a few miles away, now. It was impossible to get that stuff back.

He suddenly had the urge to cry. How could he have let this happen? It was all because of some stupid high school romance that he couldn't have just left well enough alone. He blamed Minwoo. That guy had always encouraged him to follow his heart.

And look where that had got him.

Kwanghee sighed, figuring he wouldn't be going anywhere for a while. So much for relaxation.