Chapter 7 - Next Stop, Answer

Distance At Hand

“Next stop, Manila”

 

The voice rung over the intercom, it was their third stop but Kyuhyun made no effort to un-board the ship.

 

“There goes another one,” Eunhyuk said exasperatedly, really tired of the ups, downs, lefts and rights of this large ship.

 

Ryeowook gave up on wanting to leave the ship and merely tried to enjoy every moment they spent together as a... family.

 

“I have a feeling we'll end up somewhere in a desert, in the middle of nowhere, with camels and cactus's,”  Heechul joked, stretching himself on the bench he sat on.

 

Ryeowook looked at the time on his cell phone worriedly, GaSeo had returned to her room for a long time. Eunhyuk watched as Ryeowook kept glancing from his watch to the direction he was expecting GaSeo to return from, shaking his head.

 

“I don't think GaSeo can make the entire trip, it's only the fifth day and she's been feeling sick so much... it's tough,” Eunhyuk said, throwing an arm over Ryeowook's shoulder.

 

Ryeowook lowered his head in guilt, he felt he shouldn't have asked her to come along... he knew she didn't enjoy ships and cruises too much.

 

They spent about another half an hour waiting for the new cruisers to board the ship, chatting and enjoying the view of the Manila port when suddenly a familiar voice called out to Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun turned to the voice, a voice he feared more than any other. It was Sungmin.

 

“Kyuhyun! What are you doing here?”

 

Sungmin dressed casually, a navy blue hoodie and jeans. His fox-like eyes danced with curiosity, the corner of his lips lifted by his cherry pink cheeks. He was more than happy to be acquainted with Kyuhyun again, but Kyuhyun truly couldn't say the same.

 

“Sungmin-sshi,” Kyuhyun nodded, greeting the slightly older boy politely. His fear wasn't at all visible, he hid it well, but Sungmin knew. They had an out of ordinary bond, a weird connection.

 

“Why so formal?” Sungmin asked, pulling the taller Kyuhyun into a hug. Sungmin burried his face in Kyuhyun's collar bone, his arms wrapped tight around his waist. Slowly Kyuhyun raised his arms over Sungmin's shoulder. Familiar. It was such a familiar gentleness.

 

Dumbfounded by Kyuhyun's affection, an affection he didn't even realize he was responding to, the gang could only watch the pair holding each other for what seemed like an eternity.

 

The longer time passed, the more intense the embrace became. Sungmin had a grin on his face, the face that was hidden in Kyuhyun's collar bone. They had both been waiting for this moment. This one, sweet, moment.

 

Kyuhyun was now breathing into Sungmin's neck, he felt as if only they were left on this ship. The air was clean, Sungmin smelled like he always did in the past – the smell of a pure green forest – and Sungmin's body was ever so warm, it always was.

 

Finally Sungmin broke off the embrace, pulling Kyuhyun away from him. He took Kyuhyun's hands into his own while asking with a smile, “well?”

 

Kyuhyun returned to his senses and turned to the gang.

 

“Oh, so you finally remembered we exist?” Yesung laughed.

 

“Hyung!” Sungmin screamed, running to give Yesung a hug.

 

“Sungminnie!” Yesung also yelled out, happy as ever to see his little brother who had left their side for years.

 

“Don't forget me,” Heechul silently added, smiling at Sungmin.

 

“Ahh~ it's flower boy, creamy skinned Heechul Hyung!” Sungmin teased while giving Heechul a hug as well, “wow! What are you all doing here?”

 

Kyuhyun, with a complicated expression, walked over to Sungmin and introduced him to Eunhyuk and Ryeowook, also mentioning the absent GaSeo.

 

“...you re-united with your brother? That's great Kyuhyun!” Sungmin cheered, placing a hand on Kyuhyun's cheek. He was shaking, his entire body vibrated with mixed emotions and he knew Sungmin could feel it.

 

“Leaving without a word, returning with no traces,” Yesung started as Heechul joined in.

 

“You're so good at hiding that even we couldn't find you, how did you manage it?”

 

Ryeowook was perplexed by Heechul's statement, what did he mean by that?

 

Sungmin simply smiled innocently, raising his hands apologetically, “I'm so sorry, I needed some alone time.”

 

“Some? It's almost been seven years!” Yesung scolded, rubbing Sungmin's shoulder length hair, it was neatly styled.

 

“Of all the people I know, you three should be able to understand why,” Sungmin quietly surrendered, looking into Kyuhyun's eyes, “especially you.”

 

Kyuhyun remained quiet, his shaking was becoming more and more obvious. Kyuhyun's face started paling, he clenched his fist and trembled. He was fighting to keep something back.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered gently, holding onto his hands, “Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun finally lost it and grasped onto Sungmin's arm , throwing him against the rail. He grabbed the rail with both arms, cornering Sungmin within him.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered again, a silent plead for Kyuhyun to stop, at least for now.

 

Kyuhyun ignored Sungmin's pleads. Yesung softly grabbed onto Kyuhyun's right arm, but Kyuhyun flung him off.

 

Eunhyuk and Ryeowook stood speechless, breathless, scared. Watching the usual quiet, cold but calm and collected Kyuhyun rage with all sorts of emotions.

 

“Kyu-” Heechul was about to console, but was cut short by Kyuhyun.

 

“Shut up!” Kyuhyun shouted, turning to Heechul.

 

Heechul lifted an eyebrow in irritation, “fine then, if you mess things up don't blame me,” he said simply, turning as cold as ice. Kyuhyun expected it, what else could he expect from Heechul? Warmth? Care? Love? No. None of it.

 

He leaned in close to Sungmin, his body pushing tight against Sungmin's. Yesung wanted to stop him, wanted to protect his younger brother, he wanted to help, but which one? He loved both of them, both of him were his dongsaengs, therefore, he decided to stay out of it.

 

“You never gave me an answer,” Kyuhyun sternly breathed into Sungmin's ears. Sungmin twitched as the breath landed on his neck.

 

“I-” Sungmin wanted to explain, he wanted to give himself an excuse.

 

“You promised you would tell me before you leave,” Kyuhyun interrupted, “you told me you would, you swore on it.”

 

“Kyuhyun, I...” Sungmin stuttered but the words wouldn't come to him. His lips felt numb, his tongue was gone, his mind was absent.

 

Ryeowook was confused, he was lost. He had never seen this side of Kyuhyun before, never. He had never seen a passionate Kyuhyun, an angry Kyuhyun, a trembling and fierce Kyuhyun. What exactly was Kyuhyun like inside? What kind of man was he?

 

Ryeowook didn't notice that he was also shaking. His eyes were teary, his heart aching and the hands he hid behind him were trembling. This was all so foreign to him.

 

“Well?” Kyuhyun impersonated the same tone Sungmin used before. He pushed himself back to stare deep into Sungmin's eyes. “Well?”

 

Sungmin straightened his face; his eyes turned cold, his lips were almost frowning, and he forced himself to keep a stable look into Kyuhyun's eyes. “I have nothing to say to you.”