Chapter 14 - This is Lee Sungmin

Distance At Hand

Kyuhyun climbed into bed, wrapping his arms around Sungmin, waving the gift before Sungmin's eyes, “Min, wake up!”

 

Sungmin didn't budge.

 

“Min, look!” Kyuhyun tried again.

 

Sungmin was as still as night.

 

Kyuhyun propped himself up on an arm and shook Sungmin's shoulder, “Min...”

 

Still no response. Kyuhyun got up to the other side of the bed, Sungmin was trying to hold back his tears. Brushing the tears off of Sungmin's cheeks, Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin into his arms and held him until Sungmin calmed down.

 

“Look, Min, open it.”

 

Sungmin eventually took the gift and opened it, staring at the sapphire blue pendant.

 

“Isn't it beautiful, Min?” Kyuhyun asked. He purposely repeated Sungmin's name over and over again, afraid that Sungmin would one day forget his voice.

 

“It might be another seven years,” Sungmin uttered, “seven years is going to be a long time for you, it will go by so slowly, Kyuhyun.”

 

“It won't,” Kyuhyun smiled.

 

“It will,” Sungmin breathed weakly, “you'll be in pain everyday, you'll be regretting it everyday, all three of you will, and all I can do is wait.”

 

“We won't, Min, it's different this time. This time, we know someone is waiting for us. This time, we have someone and something to do it for. We know why we're doing it,” Kyuhyun comforted, holding Sungmin's face in his palms, “so stop.”

 

Sungmin let a small smile slip, “you just want me to stop cause you're scared of watching people cry.”

 

“No, I'm not afraid of any random person's tears, but yours is different,” Kyuhyun replied, taking the pendant from Sungmin, “you're going to wear this, I don't care if it looks too girly.”

 

Sungmin laughed and got back into bed, “I wonder how long the three of you will be gone this time.”

 

Kyuhyun didn't answer, he took the pendant and wrapped it around Sungmin's wrist.

 

“What if...” Sungmin started, but was interrupted by Kyuhyun.

 

“What if I waited just a bit, because it seems like you'll come to me if I waited a little longer,” Kyuhyun smiled, singing the song softly.

 

“I know, I know,” Sungmin rolled his eyes with a grin, “I never said I wasn't going to.”

 

“It won't be seven years, Min. I won't ever make you wait that long for me,” Kyuhyun said, laying next to him.

 

Kyuhyun finally was able to rest his mind in Sungmin's presence and drifted off to sleep, but Sungmin stared at the pendant on his wrist and wondered... why sapphire blue?

 

 

“No time!” Eunhyuk screamed, banging on Kyuhyun's door, “Cho Kyuhyun, get up!”

 

Kyuhyun pulled the blanket over his head as Sungmin laughed at him. Sungmin opened the door for Eunhyuk, Eunhyuk was surprised to see Sungmin behind the door but brushed it off. He ran directly to Kyuhyun and flung the blankets off the bed.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun! Get up!” Eunhyuk yelled, shoving Kyuhyun's shoulders back and forth.

 

“Give him a good morning kiss,” Sungmin urged, crossing his arms as if watching some sort of comedy program, “that will do the job.”

 

“Lee Sungmin!” Kyuhyun groaned, “how do you manage to tell another man to kiss your own man?” Kyuhyun sat up in bed before Eunhyuk could obey Sungmin's request.

 

Sungmin shrugged and sat down in bed next to him.

 

“Maybe he just doesn't like you that much,” Eunhyuk teased.

 

Kyuhyun lazily looked towards Sungmin, who shrugged again, “too bad, he's marked now.”

 

“Marked?” Eunhyuk asked, sitting down.

 

Kyuhyun lifted Sungmin's arm and pointed at the pendant.

 

“Pretty!” Eunhyuk said, grabbing Sungmin's arm to look closer at the pendant, “When did you get it?”

 

“Secret,” Kyuhyun said, standing up. “What's the matter? You usually never wake me up.”

 

“Ah, that's right! The ship is having some kind of fair, everyone's going to go so I came to get you guys,” Eunhyuk explained, pushing Kyuhyun to the bathroom.

 

“This early?” Kyuhyun asked, holding himself from the bathroom with his arms against the wall.

 

“Early?” Eunhyuk repeated.

 

“It's only 7,” Kyuhyun answered.

 

“PM,” Sungmin added.

 

“Seriously? I slept for that long?” Kyunhyun asked. Sungmin nodded. “Wow.”

 

“Now hurry!” Eunhyuk said, shoving him in and closing the door, “Sungmin, I'm going to head down first, we'll be waiting in the lobby.”

 

Sungmin nodded with a smile. He picked some clothes out for Kyuhyun, hoping to save some time. Time. How much time could he save? If only he could save time in a piggy bank and then spread it on a table, spending it with Kyuhyun.

 

“Time is money...” Sungmin whispered to himself, “how true.”

 

“It is true,” Kyuhyun suddenly stated, changing into the clothes Sungmin had picked for him, “but money isn't everything.”

 

Sungmin smiled, he didn't notice when he had fallen so deep into his thoughts that he couldn't even realize that Kyuhyun had joined him.

 

“That's true too,” he agreed, “ahh... our genius Kyuhyun the Philosopher.”

 

“You know it,” Kyuhyun chuckled, “let's go.” Kyuhyun held his hand out to Sungmin, Sungmin approached him but slapped his hand down.

 

“I'm going to lead this time,” Sungmin confidently said to Kyuhyun, “I can't always just stand behind you!” Dashing out the door, Sungmin ran as fast as he could towards the lobby, towards the destination that everyone would be at. He was sick of only waiting, he was ready now, he was no longer just going to wait. If he wanted something, he would run after it. This is how he's going to change, this is the new him. This is the person that would strive for Kyuhyun's love, Kyuhyun's care, Kyuhyun's center of attention. This is Lee Sungmin.