Chapter 1 - Existence

Distance At Hand

“Boa!”

 

Kyuhyun turned at the compliment he expected to be praising him, only to be disappointed by the petite Ryeowook, who smiled brightly, running towards Eunhyuk.

 

“Boa~ Hyung!” Ryeowook repeated, wiping off the sweat sliding down Eunhyuk's forehead with a towel, maintaining the smile that wisp-ed with glamor.

 

Eunhyuk laughed at Ryeowook's childishness, his little-brother like acts and his admiration for himself. “Thank you, Ryeowookie.”

 

Kyuhyun crossed his arms, staring at the duo. “What about me, Ryeowook?”

 

Ryeowook turned to Kyuhyun, laughing innocently.

 

“-Hyung, you forgot to add hyung,” Eunhyuk added, breaking the awkward silence.

 

Kyuhyun frowned at Ryeowook's silence, and ignored Eunhyuk's comment. They were both smaller in size compared to him, and they both acted a lot more like the dongsaengs, he wasn't about to let them think they were superior to him even if Eunhyuk really was his older brother.

 

Remembering the first time they met, Kyuhyun was reminded that their relationship had always been a little awkward. They considered themselves friends, company, anything you could think of that meant two people who weren't uncomfortable with each other, but that didn't mean they were comfortable with each other. Not in the least.

 

Kyuhyun never understood why they were so awkward with each other. It didn't make sense to him at all. They had a lot of the same hobbies, although Ryeowook was unfit, physically, to participate in most of these hobbies.

 

They talked to each other about their hobbies, they spoke to each other about a lot of things, yet, they did it without noticing. He just didn't understand.

 

But he couldn't take his eyes off of Ryeowook. Never. If Ryeowook was nearby, Kyuhyun could always spot him. His feminine body figure, his elegant features, his petite style. It all stood out. Especially his smile.

 

“Oppa!”

 

Kyuhyun turned to an even smaller figure running towards Ryeowook. A girl. It was rare to find anyone that could be any smaller than Ryeowook was, he was the smallest you could get.

 

The girl had long curly hair, large round eyes, tender lips and a gentle and soft voice. Ryeowook turned to her, grinning at her appearance.

 

“Ga seo!” Ryeowook called as she jumped into his arms. She was his girlfriend. They've only been dating for three months, but they've known each other for much longer. Much, much longer.

 

She annoyed Kyuhyun, more than anyone could ever imagine. Her fake smiles, her weird gestures and her lack of consideration for public display of affection.

 

Kyuhyun could always tell when Ryeowook felt uncomfortable doing things with her, like kissing her, holding her hands, having her wrap her arms around him. 'It's because he's shy', Kyuhyun would always think to himself when Han Ga Seo gives a disappointed look at Ryeowook's rejections.

 

No, he never thought that it was because 'he didn't like it' or 'he didn't want to', he knew that couldn't be true. He was a man after all, no matter how feminine he looked. It's a mans nature to enjoy physical contact with their loved ones. He loved her. How annoying.

 

But why would Kyuhyun think such things? Why did their relationship, interactions, their exchanged glances and smiles, why did they annoy him so much? Not once did he think it was because he was jealous, not once did he ponder if these feelings sprouted from deeper emotions like greed, selfishness or anything else. It's just because... just because.... just BECAUSE!

 

She took his hands into her own before cheerily asking, “Oppa, are you busy now?”

 

Ryeowook smiled sweetly at her, “we were going to get something to eat,” he answered, running his hand through her silky hair.

 

Eunhyuk turned to Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun gave a slight nod.

 

“I'm going home to take a shower, I feel disgusting,” Kyuhyun bluntly stated as he started grabbing his sports bag and towel.

 

Eunhyuk took a drink out of his water before also pardoning himself, “me too, and I've got some things to settle. We have to cancel on you, Wookie.”

 

Ryeowook looked at the boys, a little disappointed. “Oh, ok, rest well,” he silently answered with a small frown.

 

Ryeowook has known Eunhyuk ever since they were kids, they basically grew up together, but ever since they started college they spent less and less time together. Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk were brought up from different relatives of the same family, they reunited about four years ago.

 

They truly look and act nothing alike. Eunhyuk was the outgoing, fragile, and cute type while on the other side Kyuhyun was the tall, intelligent, and charismatic type. The only thing they had in common would probably be basketball. Kyuhyun enjoyed playing basketball leisurely, but Eunhyuk took basketball very seriously, but either way, both were incredibly good at it.

 

Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun dropped Ryeowook and Ga Seo off at the mall before heading home. Kyuhyun watched as the pair walked farther into the distant crowd of people, eventually disappearing, and felt a strange feeling overcome his entire body. He suddenly felt very sleepy, extraordinarily tired, and slowly fell into slumber.

 

Eunhyuk quickly glanced over at his younger brother and sighed silently. For some reason, every time he looked at Kyuhyun, a rush of depression would befall on him. It was weird... there was something in Kyuhyun's eyes that he could not explain; a mystery, anguish, horror, a question, something he could not understand. What exactly was he?