Sequel: Just Because...

Just Friends

 

Unstable footsteps make their way to the entrance of her apartment. With some trouble, she finally unlocks the door. Thoughtlessly, her exhausted body lands on the couch and her eyes squint due to the pounding in her head. She had some alcohol earlier, hoping to relieve the stress that's been piling up recently. Instead, she is rewarded with a fat headache. She isn't drunk though. She dislikes the thought of not knowing what shes done.

But, maybe it's not a bad idea right now because it can get her mind off Joonmyun. 
It's been days, no more like months, since shes last seen him. He contacted her multiple times, but she always rejected him, giving him the excuse that she was too busy with school.

It wasn't completely a lie. University has been eating up a majority of her time. Today is the end of the semester, so she finally found the time to take a breather. She has been thinking of Joonmyun on and off and today is one of those days he has been running through her mind all day. 

Her fingers press and scroll through her phone until it finally lands on his name. Honestly, she missed him. She missed his touch—or well lack of it—, his scent, and most importantly, his smile. His angelic smile.

Her thumb hesitates to make the call, but her mind screams otherwise. In the end her thumb won. She chucks the phone to the side and buries her face in her arm while leaning on the armrest. Slowly her mind and body drifts off to dreamland.
Knocks echo through her ears; she told herself it was just a dream. The sound continued; too vivid to be just a dream. Heaving a sigh, she gets up to answer the door.

It felt like history was being repeated. Again, there stood the love of her life. Memories of that night flashed through her mind, her heart getting heavier. That was the last time she had seen him. But, she really didn’t want to see him, not right now when she is still trying to get over him.

He was the first one to speak up. "Hey." Joonmyun gave her his signature smile. "What brings you here?" She replies nonchalantly, giving him a whiff of the alcohol lingering in her breath. Worry was evident on his face. Joonmyun knows that she rarely goes drinking, unless there is a special occasion or if she is feeling really, really stressed.

"Why did you drink?." He asks reaching out to her as she clumsily leaned against the door for some balance. Strong arms grasp her shoulders and guide her to the couch. She sits still with her head hung low as Joonmyun removes his shoes with his toes and heads back to the couch.

“Just because…” She mumbles, answering his question.

Once he settled down next to her, he continued to question her. “Why are you avoiding me?” Silence filled the room. It was so quiet the analog clock hanging on the wall was practically screaming. She didn’t know how to answer his question because she didn’t really want to tell him the trurth.

Joonmyun breaks the silence. “What’s with the coldness lately? Do you not want to be my friend?” He was annoyed at her attitude towards him lately. All he wanted to do was spend some quality time with her, but she turned him down every time.

That excruciating pain was gnawing at her heart once again. It hurt hearing that word come from his sweet voice. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore. Her shoulders began to tremble as she held back the burning tears.

She brought her head up and looked straight into his soft orbs. “Friends?” Her voice quivered. “Yes! I don’t want to be friends I want to be more than that! I’ve always wanted to! Do you know how much pain I’ve been going through these few months?” Tears were threatening to spill, but she held them back. “I told myself I have to forget you and move on! Because you love Yoojin and you can’t live without her! Because you will never love me the way I love you! And because we are just friends! ” Her small hands clenched tightly at her sides. It felt like her chest wanted to burst at the cruel reality.

Joonmyun was speechless. He was too dense to notice she had these feelings towards him. His mouth opened to respond, but was quickly cut off by her voice. “Do…you know how much I’ve missed you?” Her voice was weak. “How much I missed seeing your face, hearing your voice, and inhaling your scent? It hurts…it hurts knowing that you are with someone else. Knowing that…” She paused, trying hard to control the tears that were begging to be released. “That…you will never be mine.” The last sentence was barely audible.

The throbbing in her head increased tenfold. Her shield disintegrated and the tears were finally free. She sniffled and her vision was blinded by the flood that refused to stop. Maybe it was due to the effect of alcohol, she didn’t know, but she lost control.

“What’s so great about Yoojin?! I know I’m not as pretty as her, but….but I can change and become a perfect girlfriend!” Unstoppable tears continued to flow down her cheeks onto her lap. Gentle hands tried to wipe them away, but it didn’t make a difference.  “Shh…stop crying.” Joonmyun hushed attempting to calm her down, but it was of no use.

“I can love you more than she does. I-“ Both her voice and tears froze. Her whole system shut down and her body felt numb. Moist eyes slowly grew larger. She didn’t know how to react because she didn’t see this coming at all. Never in her lifetime did she ever imagine Joonmyun crashing his lips to hers.

“Finally.” He stated as he pulled away. A smirk embraced his face as he saw her reaction. Quaking fingers reached up to her now lonely lips.  “Why-“ Once again, her words were interfered. “Shh…” Joonmyun whispered, placing a finger on her soft lips. “You’ve done enough talking tonight. Let me do the rest.” The finger left her lips and his hands firmly grasped hers. Gentle eyes gazed into her still damp ones.

“I have a confession to make. I broke up with Yoojin.” Her expression was the same as before. “Things didn’t feel the same after we got back together again. And you…” His right hand drifted up to caress her face. “You kept avoiding me. Do you know how hurt I felt? I missed you a lot as well. Honestly, I was confused. I wanted to have some time to think so, Yoojin and I spent some time apart. That was when I realized I needed you in my life.” Joonmyun shined his smile at her.

She felt like melting and rejoicing, but she was still unfazed. It was too much for her to absorb in one sitting. Plus the alcohol and the headache; she really didn't know how to react at that moment. “I…I don’t know what to say.” Her voice was meek.

Joonmyun’s bright smile grew wider as he chuckled. “As I’ve said. You’ve said enough. You don’t have to say anything more.” His face leaned closer and closer to hers and their eyes stayed locked. The distance between them was decreasing and when their lips were centimeters apart their eyes fluttered shut. This time she saw it coming.

Joonmyun broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against hers while staring intensely into her eyes. “Don’t change. You are perfect just the way you are.” His words brought saccharine smiles to both of them.

--

A/N: Most people voted for a happy ending so here it is! I hope this wasn't a dissappointment 'cause it was kind of hard for me think of a way to end it happily. Well I hope you guys enjoy this! Comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you guys have time please check out my Kai oneshot:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/195064/date-me-maybe-you-exo-exokai-kai-jongin