Part 4: Nightmares

The Broken Umbrella

Running. She was running. She kept running and running. Her breathing was heavy and her tired legs were only heavier. She could see nothing in front of her but the hard grey cement of some street. Water splashed at her calves with each step she took, soaking her. But she could stop. She couldn't stop running. Her body ached and moaned with pain, but she had to run away.

 

It was a rock that did it.

 

She lost her footing on a single loose pebble on the smooth cement and tumbled forward. She fell, knees first and chin second. She started bleeding from her fresh wounds, her skin burning. Yet that was not what mattered. She was afraid and it came before her pain. She looked back to see the shadow catching up on her, growing to engulf her whole. Dread grew in the pit of her stomach as large as the shadow while she awaited her fate. Suddenly, it was not herself on the cement ground, all scratched up, but her mother, fear clear on her face. Ji Min watched as the shadow devoured her mother, leaving no trace...

 

Her breath got caught up in as she watched. She tried to run to her but something held her in her spot. She started yelling, shouting, screaming, calling out for her. 

 

"No! No... No.... Mom... Mom! MOM! MOOOOOM!!!"

 

Her eyes opened with a start. Her heart was beating slightly fast. Ji Min was reminded once again why it took her so long to fall asleep each night. Nightmares tortured her, always displaying her greatest fears. How did I fall asleep? Ji Min wondered, looking around.

 

The room was still bright but the television was off. Him Chan was nowhere to be found, so she figured he went to his room. Ji Min finally noticed the blanket enveloping her, keeping her warm. Dae Hyun... she thought, her eyes finding him on the other end of the couch. His eyes were closed and his breathing even, indicating that he was sleeping. He looked chilly. Ji Min reached over and pulled the other end of the blanket over Dae Hyun, so they shared the warmness.

 

Ji Min sat like that, waiting for nothing in particular. She just stared out the window, into the city lights against the black sky. What time was it? she wondered, though truly, it didn't matter. Her mother in the hospital would think she was at home, and nothing waited for her there, other than dead furniture. Ji Min assumed her clothes must be dry by now. She realized she could sneak out at the moment, in the dead of the night, never to see the two brothers again. It would be easy. Yet she still sat there.

 

Dae Hyun's voice rang in her ears as she recalled it. His wonderful voice, so friendly. The warm tone. His soft humming. His soft laughter. How it had all calmed her. She wanted to continue in this blissfully ignorant state, putting her duties and hardships behind her.

 

She wanted to stay.

 

She didn't want to leave.

 

...She would have to eventually.

 

Ji Min wanted to postpone it for as long as possible, cozy under the blanket.

 

Dae Hyun started shuffling in his sleep, mumbling soft murmurs. He pulled the blanket up to his neck and Ji Min smiled at how adorable he looked... She couldn't help but feel thankful for him to have found her.

 

Then Dae Hyun twisted in his seat, and slid down the back of the couch. His long legs poked out the other side of the cover. She froze as his head reached Ji Min's lap over the blanket.

 

His face was so close for her to observe and he looked as handsome as ever, breathing in and out evenly.

 

She sat there, looking at Dae Hyun. She etched her face in his mind, knowing it would be rare to see him again after tonight. She memorized his every feature, the eyes, the nose, the mouth, the cheeks...

 

Soon, she had accepted their new position and relaxed a little. Before...

 

Dae Hyun suddenly turned to his side, wrapping his arms around Ji Min's mid section. He nuzzled his face into her over the blanket.

 

"Mhm..." he let out contently in his sleep, leaving Ji Min as a statue once more.