Part 3: Comfort

The Broken Umbrella

Ji Min's face turned bright red at the sight. She couldn't make a sound and she couldn't tear her eyes away either. Her eyes followed the outline of Dae Hyun's body. First, his chiseled jawline and then down his neck where she finally saw his dark tattoo in full; an intricate and sophisticated design. It suited him perfectly. Her eyes went down the curve of his shoulders and down to his abs. His slightly tan and toned body etched itself in her mind and she cursed herself for feeling attracted.

 

Dae Hyun finally noticed her, freezing in his tracks as he saw the red faced girl. Realizing his situation, he took his hands and towel to try and cover his bare chest, a lame attempt.

 

"Y-you... can use the shower now..." Ji Min mumbled. She tore her gaze away and refused to look him in the eyes.

 

"T-thanks..." Dae Hyun replied.

 

Ji Min walked past the boy and took a seat on the sofa. She dried her hair absent-minded. The image of him popped up in her mind and her heart started working faster than before, her blood pulsing fast. What is wrong with me? she wondered, finding her reaction ridiculous. Clearly, this was no time to have thoughts like this. Yet he had looked so amazing... Ji Min shook her head.

 

She heard Dae Hyun turn the water on in the shower and relaxed a little bit; she would be in solitude for a while. Ji Min closed her eyes and laid her hand to rest on the sofa, exhausted. The day had been too long already...

 

Then Ji Min heard the key turn at the door. She bolted up in her seat and turned towards the sound.

 

The handle twisted and entered a beautifully handsome guy.

 

He had short hair, black as the night sky. His big eyes were dark as well, but held a playfulness in them; thin eyebrows and lashes as long as Dae Hyun's framed them. His lips and high nose complimented his slender face shape. The guy was dressed in a leather jacket - with a few water droplets from being in the rain - and dark jeans. She saw a navy shirt peaking from the leather jacket. He was tall, she noted as well, with long limbs. He whistled as he stepped in through the door but stopped when he finally noticed Ji Min. He stared at her while the door shut behind him.

 

tumblr_m33vroCc1n1rnkj5ho1_1280.jpg

 

"What do we have here?" he asked informally, taking off his leather jacket and hanging it on the coat rack near the door. He leaned his umbrella against the wall. Ji Min could see the tattoos decorating his body now, peaking through his v neck tee shirt. A pattern across his chest and writing on his right arm. Ji Min said nothing back to him as he walked towards the living room.

 

"Hmm? Let's see... Are you a present Dae Hyun brought for me? Although I remember sending him on a different errand," he asked, leaning into her face and smirking. "Well, good timing either way. Hyo Sung's away for the weekend."

 

Ji Min wondered who Hyo Sung was.

 

The guy chuckled at her muteness and reach a hand over to touch her face when a voice distracted him.

 

"Him Chan-hyungah, leave Ji Min-ssi alone," Dae Hyun said warmly.

 

Ji Min looked to see Dae Hyun had finished his shower quickly. His grey blonde hair was still damp. He had a towel around his neck. Dae Hyun was fully dressed this time, in a loose tee shirt and pajama pants.

 

The guy stood to his full height again and let out a laugh.

 

"So she was a present for yourself, eh?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at Dae Hyun. Dae Hyun walked up to the guy and shoved him lightly.

 

"It's nothing like that, Himchan-hyung," Dae Hyun told him casually. "By the way, the store was closed. Thanks for sending me out in that storm."

 

Him Chan rolled his eyes, his lips curving up in a smile.

 

"Whatever you say, dongseng~" he sang, disappearing into his room.

 

Dae Hyun looked at Ji Min reassuringly when his brother was gone.

 

"Don't worry, he's not as much of a player as he seems. He likes girls, but he loves Hyo Sung-noona," he explained, walking into the kitchen.

 

"Do you want anything to eat?" he asked, opening the fridge door. After some inspection, he failed to find any food and closed the door.

 

Ji Min watched him move about in the kitchen; honestly, she couldn't tell if she was hungry or not.

 

"I put your clothes in the dryer. Should be done in an hour or two," Dae Hyun told her. He looked into the cupboards this time.

 

It dawned upon Ji Min now that she liked it when he talked. Dae Hyun's voice was nice and soothing, perfect for her to listen to.

 

She watched him take out a few boxes of cereal. He then grabbed a huge bowl and poured a little of each cereal in. First frosted flakes, then cheerios, then other types she didn't recognize. He was humming by the time he brought the bowl over to her, taking a seat beside her on the couch.

 

"The only cereal mix of its kind," he said, urging her to have some.

 

Tenderly, Ji Min reached into the bowl and grabbed a handful. She took a cheerio and nibbled on it; it felt like honey in and she was glad to have tried it. She could hear Dae Hyun crunching away as well.

 

"Who... was that?" Ji Min asked, unable to hold in her curiosity. She didn't want to poke her head in this strange boy's business, but she coudn't help it.

 

"Hm? Oh, him. He's Him Chan, my older brother, I told you about him," Dae Hyun explained. "I know he started hitting on you and all, but he does have a girlfriend. Hyo Sung-noona. You're wearing her clothes right now."

 

Dae Hyun let out a soft laugh as Ji Min looked down on her clothes with wide eyes.

 

"By the way, how old are you?" he asked Ji Min.

 

Ji Min debated it for a split moment but figured if she were to have been hurt, it would have happened by now. And she felt more at ease in this house than she had ever been before since her mother fell ill.

 

"Seventeen," she told him. Junior year of high school was coming up and she didn't feel ready for school; in fact, a lot of things were going to happen that she would never be prepared for.

 

"Oh, I'm the same age! Let's talk informally from now on. Okay, Ji Min-ah?" he talked happily.

 

"Oh...kay," she replied, sending him a soft smile.

 

"Then! Ji Min-ah, what would you like to do while we wait for your clothes to dry?"

 

Ji Min pondered on it but didn't get far into her thoughts.

 

"What about some wrestling?" a familiar voice butted in.

 

Ji Min saw Him Chan - changed into a white wife beater and basketball shorts now - walk into the living room. He grabbed a handful of Dae Hyun's cereal mix and stuffed it all in his mouth, taking a seat in front of the television. Ji Min could see all the tattoos decorating his body and noted that they were beautiful.

 

"Huh?" Dae Hyun asked.

 

Him Chan gave his younger brother an exapserated sigh. "Wrestling... in the game? C'mon, I want to play," he whined a little.

 

"But Ji Min doesn't know how to-"

 

"-Ji Min doesn't look like she wants to do anything at the moment. She just wants a little distraction, right?" Him Chan cut Dae Hyun off, sending her a goofy smile.

 

It was true. It was like he had read her mind.

 

"You guys play. I'll watch," she told them softly.

 

Dae Hyun looked unsure and asked Ji Min once more before he gave in to Him Chan's suggestion.

 

Ji Min didn't know what it was. She suffered from a slight case of insomnia ever sinc her mother had been hospitalized; she could only get to sleep after an hour of tossing and turning. Maybe it had been the atmosphere. With the loud sounds from the game, the shouting from Him Chan and Dae Hyun arguing over who cheated, and the soft drumming of the rain against the window, Ji Min felt incredibly relaxed. Her lids grew heavy as she watched the two handsome guys play...

 

"Aish! You always cheat, hyung!" Dae Hyun complained as the two brothers finished gaming. He turned to get Ji Min to side with him when he found her sleeping soundly; he felt a little guilty for ignoring her. Him Chan yawned, before turning off the television and heading into his room. I bet he misses Hyo sung-noona, Dae Hyun smirked.

 

Then he looked at Ji Min again, balled up. Her hair had fully dried now, framing her face. He could see her long eyelashes fluttering the tiniest bit, showing she was dreaming. She had a small nose, with full pale pink lips. His tee shirt had engulfed her, hanging loosely. The shorts showed Ji Min's smooth legs and Dae Hyun felt himself blushing. His eyes automatically glanced up at her lips that looked oh-so-soft, and Dae Hyun only blushed harder. He cleared his throat and shook his head. When he felt as though he were back to normal, he squatted in front of her. He stared at this strange girl he saw yelling at an umbrella for being broken. He smiled softly at the memory and wondered what caused her to do so. What an interesting girl...

 

Her clothes were dry by now, he knew, but he couldn't bring himself to wake her up. He moved over to the other end of the sofa and sat down, closing his eyes. Another hour wouldn't hurt...