Dreams Only Last For A Night

Dreams Only Last For A Night

“Kyungie hyungie~” Jongin sang, opening the door with a gallant sweep. “Your Jongin has arriv- oh. Uh, hi Nurse Im,” he blushed when he noticed the amused look on the older woman's face as she checked Kyungsoo's vitals. Kyungsoo chuckled behind his palm.

“Good day to you too, Jongin-sshi,” she answered, lips pressed together so she wouldn't laugh. “In the mood for providing some entertainment, I see,” she shook her head in silent laughter as she left the room. “I'll be back around 7, Kyungsoo-sshi,” she called as she closed the door.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes jokingly as Jongin covered his face in his hands. “It's 3:30, she was supposed to be gone by now!” the dancer groaned.

“She had to draw some extra blood today since they're sending it down to the lab,” Kyungsoo replied, “it took a little longer than normal, naturally. You just must have really good luck, you hardly ever greet me like that anymore,” Kyungsoo began laughing again.

Shut up,” mumbled Jongin, sitting down in a plastic chair. “Damn, they should upgrade the chairs in your room or something, these things are incredibly uncomfortable.”

They're probably already all molded to your anyhow, you're here everyday,” Kyungsoo said sarcastically. “So when are you gonna tell Nurse Im that you like her? Because from my point of view, it is blatantly obvious,” Kyungsoo chuckled as Jongin's cheeks burned.

I don't like Nurse Im...she's like 25 anyway, so why would it matter?” Jongin asked defensively. “She's probably already married or something...hey, what was that girl's name at school that you liked? Kim Tae...Tae what...” he trailed off in thought.

Kim Taeyeon? I don't like her anymore,” Kyungsoo answered quickly.

Really? Maybe I should invite her over with me someday anyway, to come say hi,” Jongin smirked teasingly.

Don't bother. Like I said, I don't like her anymore. I like someone else now,” he mumbled quietly, pink tinging his cheeks.

Ooooh, who, who?! You've hardly even seen anybody from school in months! Why didn't you tell me?! Is it Nurse Seo? She's nice and quiet...”

Kyungsoo shook his head quickly. “No, I've liked the person longer than I've been trapped here, just forget about it,” he grinned softly.

Jongin leaned back in his chair, huffing slightly. “Well. You're no fun,” he responded, sticking his tongue out at Kyungsoo.

I've been stuck in a hospital bed for 3 months, do you expect me to be a fun and exciting person?” Kyungsoo teased, sighing dramatically.

Yah, you'll be out of here in no time, I know it! Who says cancer can't be beat?! You'll prove them all wrong,” Jongin grinned, resting his arms on Kyungsoo's side table and leaning forward more. “I can picture it now, you'll be winning singing competitions and everyone will love you because you've overcome so much! The judges will get teary-eyed when they hear your story,” Jongin nodded, as if to further draw out his point.

You're crazy,” Kyungsoo groaned. “But I guess that's why you're my best friend, right? If I'm winning singing competitions, you'll be winning the dancing competitions. Now at least that's incredibly likely.”

I've already won a few, y'know,” Jongin smirked, “and there's definitely more where that came from, heh. Guess who's gonna get that gold tomorrow?

Oh Jongin, still as egotistical as ever,” Kyungsoo said sarcastically.

Hey, you know I'm kidding! Gimme a break, I'm never serious, you know that,” Jongin crossed his arms defensively.

Oh Jongin, still as brainless as ever. Not even recognizing sarcasm, tsk. By the way, how's school going?”

God, why did you have to miss this year?! It's complete torture and you're not even there to help me study! I need your brain, hyung~” Jongin groaned.

Actually using honorifics for once in your life isn't gonna convince me to help you study, just sayin',” Kyungsoo chuckled.

Fine. PLEASE?!” Jongin shouted, jumping up and kneeling right by Kyungsoo's bed, hands clasped right under his chin as he pouted. “Pwetty pwease hyungie?”

Holy , do you want me to go blind?” Kyungsoo groaned in mock horror, blocking Jongin's aegyo with his hands. “Don't do aegyo. Please. It's actually terrifying, coming from you.”

Jongin hung his head low, dropping his hands. “You're so mean...”

Am not! I didn't say I wouldn't help you, now did I? Bring your books day after tomorrow, I'll see what I can do,” Kyungsoo responded, rolling his eyes again when Jongin lifted his head quickly, smiling happily.

Thanks so much Kyungie!! Love you~” he exclaimed, pecking the older boy on the cheek. His phone started beeping before he could notice the immediate blush spread across Kyungsoo's face. “, I forgot dance practice starts early today, gotta go! Bye hyung, and thanks again!!” he called as he rushed from the room.


 

Nurse Im came back at exactly 7, greeting Kyungsoo with a cheery hello, and frowning when all she got in reply was a small mumble.

"Oh, Kyungsoo-sshi," she sighed, checking her clipboard. "I know it's not my place to interfere with the personal lives of my patients, but when are you going to tell that friend of yours that you like him?"

"Never," Kyungsoo muttered. "He doesn't need to be burdened with his friend falling for him, especially when I'm not living much longer. 'Sides, he likes you, noona," he glanced up at the older woman who wrinkled her nose.

"Tell him I have a boyfriend or something, he's 8 years too young for me," she grumbled as she checked his pulse. "If nothing else, you should at least tell him the truth about your condition. Well, you should tell all your friends, but especially Jongin-sshi. It's almost painful seeing him walk out of here everyday with a bright, optimistic smile every day, blissfully unaware. He'd value these last few weeks more if you did, you know."

"I don't want my last days filled with people mourning me already. I want everyone happy, and if it means not telling them, then I won't," Kyungsoo shrugged weakly. "And besides-"

"I can't tell you what to do, you're just my patient, I know, I know," she recited monotonously.

"Exactly," Kyungsoo smiled softly.

"Maybe one day I'll learn," she scoffed jokingly. "Well, I think you're all set, so I'll send dinner in. See you in the morning, Kyungsoo-sshi," she waved.

Bye,” he waved back before lying down on his bed, staring forlornly at the ceiling.

It went without saying that Kyungsoo felt bad about not telling Jongin. He wanted to tell him he had known his fate approximately 6 hours after first entering the hospital 3 months ago, that it was terminal, it couldn't be stopped, and he would die soon. But it's just not that simple.

Then there was the fact that he had been secretly in love with Jongin for the past 5 years. Nurse Im had somehow figured out within the first month (“It's the way you look at him whenever he's here,” she said, securing the IV in his wrist, “it's like...there's no one else in the world to you at that moment. Like if the rest of the world stopped, you could still live on because he's there with you still. Like he's the force that keeps you going. And you also blush a lot more with him around,” she added, rolling her eyes.), and had been pestering him about telling the dancer...to which he blatantly refused.

“What benefit would he gain from that? As far as I know, he's never even considered the possibility of being gay,” Kyungsoo would insist every time.

“You never know until you try, dear,” she would always reply back. “Besides, maybe you need to think about yourself for once, this can't be very good for you condition, keeping it all bottled up inside.”

No matter how many times she repeated the words, he couldn't bring himself to do it. It wouldn't be fair to Jongin, he had decided, to put this heavy burden on his shoulders of his best friend since primary school being in love with him.

“Noona,” Kyungsoo asked the next day, “I was thinking...”

“Yes?” Nurse Im replied absentmindedly, preoccupied with scratching down a few notes.

“How much longer do you think I have?” he asked softly, drawing his knees to his chest and wrapping his arms around them. Nurse Im turned to him with a sad look in her eyes and sat down on the edge of his bed.

“Kyungsoo-sshi, that's hard to say,” she said carefully. “It all really depends on how well you react t-”

“Noona,” Kyungsoo cut her off, pointedly staring at his bedsheets.

“The doctors don't say more than 2 weeks at most,” she said finally, her voice slightly shaky.

Kyungsoo nodded slowly. “...oh,” he mumbled.

“I'm sorry dear,” she murmured, ruffling his hair affectionately. “I know I shouldn't interfere with the personal lives of my patients, but I'll definitely miss you. You're like a little brother to me now.”

Kyungsoo only nodded again in response, eyes still trained on his bedsheets. “I think I need to tell Jongin. He deserves to know everything before I go,” he said quietly.

“That's a good idea, dear,” Nurse Im smiled warmly. “Is he stopping by this afternoon?”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Nah, he's got some dance competition downtown. He'll be here tomorrow, I'll tell him then.”

“Alright dear,” she said, standing up. “I'll make sure to stick around nearby in case you need anything when he's here, ok?”

“Ok,” Kyungsoo nodded, still not lifting his eyes further than the bed.

“Kyungie!! I got first place yesterday~ Look!” Jongin entered the room excitedly, holding a gold medal proudly in front of him. When the boy in the bed didn't respond, Jongin took another glance at him. “What's wrong, hyung?”

“Jongin...I need to talk to you,” Kyungsoo answered, avoiding eye contact with the dancer.

“Ooooook...” Jongin ignored the chair, instead choosing to sit on the side of Kyungsoo's bed. “What is it?”

Kyungsoo sat up slowly so he was facing Jongin and carefully grabbed the younger's hand. When Jongin didn't pull away, Kyungsoo took his time playing with Jongin's fingers and interlocking their hands together, almost mesmerized by how well they fit together. Jongin watched blankly before turning his gaze back to Kyungsoo's face.

“Hyung?”

“I'm such a horrible person,” Kyungsoo breathed as he leaned forward to capture Jongin's lips.

The dancer stiffened for a minute before his eyes slid shut and he kissed back. Their hands were still interlocked between them, and Kyungsoo squeezed Jongin's hand when he felt the pressure on his lips returned.

Jongin seemed to be just as into it as Kyungsoo was, grabbing the older by the back of his neck with his free hand and tilting his head to the side when their noses kept brushing.

Jongin was fierce and Kyungsoo was calm; Jongin was a dancer and Kyungsoo was a singer; Jongin was outgoing and Kyungsoo was shy; they both lived on opposite ends of the spectrum, but they couldn't have been more right for each other.

Jongin didn't have any intention of stopping the kissing any time soon, as Kyungsoo tasted delicious and it was so nice and serene in a sense, but then he felt a wetness on his cheek.

Kyungsoo was crying.

He pulled back right away, and was indeed met with the sight of tear tracks on Kyungsoo's face as the older attempted to muffle his sobs. Jongin brought his free hand to brush away the tracks with his thumb.

“What's wrong?” he asked softly.

“Jongin...” he mumbled, hugging the younger suddenly. “I'm s-sorry.”

“Huh?” Jongin felt Kyungsoo tighten his hold on the younger.

“Jongin, I'm d-dyin-”

Jongin whistled obnoxiously loud as he walked into the hospital, ignoring the glares from others. He twirled the gold medal around in his hands, grinning softly to himself, thinking Kyungsoo will love this, as he walked past the front desk. He knew the route to the room by heart, and didn't bother raising his head to check where he was going.

He perked up at the “Kim Jongin-sshi!” from the front desk, however, and turned around to see Nurse Seo calling him over.

“Yes, Nurse Seo?” he asked politely, not really knowing the other as well as he knew Nurse Im. “Where's Nurse Im?”

“She had to take the day off today,” she said sadly, her eyes flashing up to meet Jongin's. “Jongin-sshi...I'm sorry to say that Do Kyungsoo-sshi passed away last night in his sleep.”

“...what?” Jongin asked, the blood draining from his face and his heart sinking to his stomach. No no no no no... “That can't be right, he was just here two days ago, he couldn't have just...” Jongin trailed off, suddenly feeling light-headed.

“This was left under his pillow, and it's addressed for you. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jongin-sshi,” she murmured, handing him a small note.

Jongin took the paper with a shaky hand, opening it slowly.

Jongin-ah~

Just know that I've always loved you, ok? It's ok and please don't cry for me, be the strong Jongin I've always known and loved! Never give up dancing, because that's where your passion lies, and if I ever happen to hear you stopped dancing somewhere in this afterlife, I will haunt you! You can be sure of that!

Forever and always,

Kyungsoo ♥

P.S. Like Nurse Im said, you were the force that kept me here for so long. If it weren't for you, I would've died 3 months ago, I know it. Thanks so much for everything, Jongin-ah. ^^

사랑해 ♥


 


 

 


 

Um....hopefully this didn't too bad o.o I don't have much to say this time around actually...sorry it's not actually that Kaisoo-y, I tried to work as much as I could in there v.v Did it make sense? I hope it did, I was typing this up and I'm just like nobody is going to understand this Kristen, just change it! buuuuuuuut I didn't! So...hopefully you get it?

Anyway, love you all and thanks so much for reading and supporting my stories!! ^^ You all mean the world to me~ I LOVE YOU <3

 

EDIT: I don't think people are getting it, so I'll add this T-T God, I at explaining things...

So basically, the whole kiss scene is Kyungsoo's dream. That's why it cuts off before he finishes saying he's dying...because he died in his sleep before his dream-self could tell Jongin. And that's why the next scene starts off with Jongin carrying a gold medal again, because he had just won the competition the day before...Kyungsoo had only dreamed that he'd win (and was right)...does that make sense? So Kyungsoo was never able to tell Jongin he loved him, and Jongin never knew that Kyungsoo was bound to die...

...yeah.

I at explaining things >.<