She Takes One Step

Remember Me

 

[May 2010; A Week Later]

[Daesung POV]

“Going out again?” I smile and nod. She tosses me a jacket. “Bring that with you. I hear it’s going to get a little cold later today.”

“Thanks.” I reply. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay here alone?”

She laughs, a soft melody to my ears. “You babo. You’ve been going in and out for these past few days. Don’t you think I know how to take care of your house already?”

“I could care less about the house, Mi Sun. What I’m asking is about you.” I say, half-joking, half-serious.

Mi Sun rolls her eyes at me and picks up my bag and papers. “Oh, I know. But you do realize that you ask that same question every time you’re about to leave, don’t you? Of course I’m going to be fine.”

I smile and cringe a little in the inside. She’s got a point. But I can’t help it. I can’t stand to think of her alone in an empty house. Do you have any idea how many worst-case scenarios spin through my mind the whole time I’m away? I even have stupid ones like a group of monkeys would smash through the house and eat her…

Yes, it’s very stupid.

A doorbell rings. That must be Seunghyun hyung. Mi Sun pushes me towards the front door and hands me my bag and papers. She opens the door and gives a smile to hyung.

“Thank god you’re here. Please, take him away. He has more important things to worry about.” She says to hyung, but looks at me.

“He’s never had a hard time leaving the house before. But I guess that’s because he has you to worry about now.” Hyung says, laughing a little as I give him a glare. Hyung takes my arm and pulls me out of my house. I yelp softly in protest. Should I even do that anymore? This is practically our routine.

“You two better hurry up before you get late. I know this meeting is a big one.” Mi Sun says. We reluctantly start walking towards hyung’s black BMW. Well, I reluctantly walk towards the car. “Fighting!” I hear Mi Sun shout.

I smile, and give her a small wave before going in the car.

“I’m glad you two are closer.” Hyung says as he backs out of the driveway.

“Yeah.” I say, distracted. While we drive off, I look out my window and make sure Mi Sun was able to go inside and close the front door.

Smack!

“Aish! Yah, hyung! What?” I exclaim as I look at him.

“Keep your eyes on the road.” He smiles.

“Shouldn’t I be the one saying that?” I ask in disbelief.

“Nope.” Hyung smacks his lips at the ‘p’. “So, how’s the progress? It’s already been a week.”

“I don’t think we’re going anywhere. I brought her to two of our favorite restaurants, the park, her old neighborhood—“

“Old neighborhood? Does that mean she saw her mother?” He interrupts.

I shake my head. “No. Actually, while she was busy, I sneaked off and checked her mom’s house. You know, maybe fill her mom in about Mi Sun’s condition. Maybe the sight of her mom would bring back at least her childhood memories back, but…” I bite my lip.

“But…” Hyung echoes.

“Her mother doesn’t live there anymore.”

~O~O~

[Mi Sun POV]

I place my hands on my hips and my head to the side as I survey the huge living room. I scrunch my nose. It’s a total mess in here. I walk off into the kitchen. Ugh, it’s a bigger mess in here. I go to his office. My jaw drops. It’s like a tornado went through here!

If I were with Daesung right now, I would smack him.

How can he stand to live in a messy house like this? I go back to the kitchen and look in the garage. I think I saw some cleaning supplies in here. I smile as I find it on a shelf next to his car. I reach up and grab a duster. My smile was replaced with a scowl as I inspect it. This duster is as dirty as his TV! I growl in frustration. I throw the duster in the trash and find the vacuum. I was bringing it back inside when some of its’ parts fall off.

“Aish!” I shout and kick the useless thing. More parts fall out; even the handle falls off. This is going into the dumpster. After a few minutes, it turns out every cleaning utensil is useless. I go back to the kitchen and look around. No food, either. I guess I’m going to have to go shopping, and I might as well do it today. Daesung has been working his off and he let me stay here, so I should clean this place up; also, because I can’t stand seeing a room so dirty.

I go to the kitchen. There’s a small rack on the wall with keys to Daesung’s cars. I purse my lips and take the keys to the Porsche. Hey, I like that car, can’t help myself. I giggle and jump inside. My hand hovers over the wheel when I freeze once a thought comes into my mind.

I can’t drive!

I don’t think I know how to drive, that is. I groan and my head falls on the wheel. How am I going to get the stuff then? How am I going to clean the house? I sit up. Maybe I can call one of Daesung’s friends! I think Daesung put their numbers into my phone. Yes! He did! I was about to take the phone Daesung bought me when something flashed in my mind.

I drop my phone and it falls to my lap. It’s that feeling again…I slowly close my eyes, looking at what my mind is forming. I’m in a car; I’m behind the wheel with my hands moving it. Then I look through the window, and everything is moving past me. Then it changes…It’s like I’m seeing through someone’s eyes now. A white car passes by. I gasp as I see the driver. That’s me! That’s me driving!

I abruptly open my eyes. It looks different, but it feels completely familiar…I hold the keys up. Like a new light in my mind, I put the keys in the ignition and start the car while the garage opens. It’s as if I’m letting my newfound mind and body do the work, my hands and feet automatically know what they’re doing.

Before I knew it, I’m already out of the garage and on the road, driving. My eyes widen as I continue what I’m doing. It like this is all on instinct, like I’ve done this before.

As if I’m remembering a memory, a memory I absolutely didn’t know I had.