A Hand - Kris and Lay

Hand in Hand

Chapter 2:  A Hand:  Kris and Lay

He recognized Kris at once, even from a distance with his back turned to him. 'Just as I thought, you'll be here.'  Lay thought as he gazed at the figure sitting on top of the edge of the cliff with his arms behind him bracing him, and with his feet dangling and swinging. His head angled upward looking at the sky.

He walked closer to where he sat, although feeling queasy with butterflies in his stomach by just the very thought of doing it. He did not want to look at the edge, if he could help it, but he had to get closer to him. Taking deep breaths to calm himself down, as he slowly walked closer. He stopped for a moment, there was a short distance between them, and he looked up at the sky. The white clouds were moving slowing as it was being blown by the wind, and the clear blueness of the sky as the backdrop. He looked at the distance in front of him, the two mountains covered with multicolored trees, between them down below the base was the U-shaped river flowing to the sea, and at a good distance was the ocean's horizon as it touched the skyline.

Sensing a presence, Kris moved slightly and turned his head to his left and slowly to his back, and there he found Lay looking at the scenery in front of them. Eyes flickering for a moment, inhaling one deep breath and slowly exhaling as he returned his gaze at the sky. He asked in a soft whisper, “What are you doing here?”

Spoken in a deadpan voice, “The scenery is good.”

Sarcastically, “You’re afraid of heights.”

Head turned upward, “Are the clouds moving so fast? Or its just my eyes...look at that sky..its so blue.”

“Cut the crap, and answer me.”

Still looking at the clouds, and with a sigh, “Of course, you  know the answer.”

“Mind your own business.”

Not looking at him, he again turned his head to return his gaze at the mountains and the sea, “I climbed all the way up here, and now, you’ll have to buy me a drink and food.”

“You can buy it for yourself.”

“You made me climb up here, so you’re responsible for me.”

“I did not make you do no such thing. You did it yourself. Now, you can turn around and walk back down, and then buy for yourself what you need.”

He lowered his gaze and looked at his face looking at the sky, with a soft voice whispered, “I am not going anywhere without you.” He returned his gaze at the horizon.

“Wish to go where I am going?”

Silent for a moment and a sigh, “Not really, but, I will.”

“You’re a fool.”

“I know, so come on, let’s go back down.”

“I don’t want to.”

“I know that, too.” A hand reaching towards him, “Come on, take my hand, and you’ll have to take me down.”

Head turned and gazed at him with a half smile, “My way or your way?”

A deep sigh, and gazed down at his eyes, “I'll follow which ever way you want to go.”

Wearily reaching over and taking his hand, “You are a fool, and one day..one day...I will not be here.”

Holding his hand tightly, “I’ll know where to find you.”

Getting up, facing him eye to eye, and gazing at his eyes, “Let’s go back down and I’ll buy you that drink and food.”

With a sweet grin, still gazing at him, he slowly turned, and started pulling him to walk back down.