A Friend's Benevolence

Limitless Love

Suho opened his eyes only to see a blinding white light. Wincing, he shielded his eyes with one hand.

What happened? Where’s Soojin? he thought frantically. Suho glanced around, his heartbeat growing to an unnatural speed.

“Soojin? Soojin!” Suho called out for his lover, hoping that with her acute hearing she would be able to hear him. He shouted over and over till he thought his lungs would burn. However, he felt no pain like he thought he would. There was definitely something wrong.

Cautiously, Suho reached up and pinched his cheek. Nothing. No pain whatsoever. This time, he felt more daring and slapped himself with a sufficient amount of force that would leave a red mark. Still nothing.

What’s going on? Why can’t I feel anything?

There was still a blinding light surrounding him but Suho’s eyes had adjusted to the brightness. He soon found out that that’s all there was. He was perpetually surrounded by light.

With nothing else to do, Suho began to walk in a straight line. Maybe he would come across someone or something in this seemingly desolate place.

It had felt like ages since he first started walking and Suho soon thought there really was nothing else but himself in that place. It wasn’t until he saw a dark cloud in front of him did he understand where he was.

There weren’t any sounds as he padded towards the darkness. Although he couldn’t feel anything, he was certain that the air ading from the cloud was chilling.

Suho had almost fallen into the abyss that separated the darkness and the light but he stopped himself just in time. Gulping nervously, he peered down into the chasm that he could have plunged into. It seemed never-ending and Suho did not want to find out if his hypothesis was true.

This is the Great Rift, isn’t it? The division between life and death. Heaven and Hell.

Suho took a step back not wanting to risk losing his balance and go spiraling into the great unknown.

Not quite, Suho. You haven’t reached the Great Rift just yet, a voice in Suho’s mind spoke to him. He didn’t need an introduction to know who it was. Every angel, every human, knew the Creator otherwise known as God.

Although he didn’t know where He was, Suho got on one knee and rested his forehead on the propped up knee. It was a gesture to show respect that all angels knew.

You may rise, Suho. Slowly, Suho lifted his head and stood up again. He clasped his hands in front of him and waited for Him to speak.

You must be wondering where you are and what is happening, right?

“Yes,” Suho responded.

Then let us take things back a little further so you can truly understand why you’re here…

Suho felt his eyes closing and when he opened them again, he was looking down at himself. He nearly shouted in surprise but managed to catch himself. Watching the scene below him, he realized that this was an event of the past. He was transported into his own memories.

The past Suho was talking or more accurately, arguing, with another angel. Their large, white wings stretched out without any restriction, glimmering beautifully.

“You can’t tell me what to do Kris. This is my decision, okay?” Suho said. Kris, a tall, handsome angel had a frustrated look on his face.

“I can’t help it if I’m worried about my friend. I don’t want you to end up regretting this decision. Besides, He will never allow it,” Kris retorted. The older angel’s eyes pierced through Suho in a way that would make others squirm with fear. However, Suho did not back down. When he made a decision, he stuck to it no matter what.

“I won’t regret it. I love her and I wanna be with her.” Suho didn’t wait for Kris’ answer as he jumped up into the air, his wings pumping gracefully. He soared off to fulfill his wishes, not caring who said what.

The present Suho watched on, recalling the memory very easily. He knew he had upset and worried Kris at the time but he didn’t regret leaving.

The scene shifted to another one. The atmosphere was still serious as the past Suho stared down into the human realm. He saw the girl he had fallen in love with, Soojin, going through her daily motions. She always had a friend or family member with her, guiding her and keeping her out of harm’s way.

Suho knew she was blind but he had fallen for her anyway. There was a certain beauty that radiated from her and it had instantly mesmerized him from the moment he saw her. The fact that she was blind only heightened his infatuation for her. He felt the need to protect her yet also cherish her for who she was.

Thinking about her at that moment, the past Suho could feel a searing pain on his back where his wings were. He flapped them and immediately saw several feathers fly off of his wings and flutter down to earth.

“It’s happening. The transformation is starting. Just wait Soojin, I’m coming for you,” the past Suho whispered to himself. Shutting his eyes, he waited for the burning sensations to pass and when he opened his eyes again, he was laying on the ground at a park.

It was the park where he had first met Soojin. Luckily for him, he was wearing clothes albeit they were the loose robe-like garments that angels wore. Suddenly, he felt someone step on his back and he yelped in surprise.

“Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry!” Soojin’s voice floated into his ears as she apologized profusely. She bowed in a 360 degree circle, unsure of where Suho was. Suho was awed at first; surprised that he had encountered her so soon. Then, he laughed.

“No, it’s alright. I’m fine,” he said. Soojin froze in the middle of a bow when she heard Suho’s voice. It hypnotized her and left her wanting to hear more.

Unsurely, Suho reached out and placed his hand on Soojin’s shoulder. “I think you can stop bowing now.”

Soojin realized she was still in mid-bow and her cheeks burned with embarrassment. “I-I’m sorry,” she stammered.

Before Suho could say anything more, a tall boy with a child-like face came out of nowhere and grabbed Soojin’s wrist.

“Soojin noona! Why did you disappear like that? You nearly gave me a heart attack,” the boy said, his voice surprisingly deep. He tugged Soojin away, glancing at Suho curiously for a second.

“Chanyeol, there’s no need to worry so much. It’s just the park,” Soojin replied. Their conversation faded away as well as the past Suho who had stood motionless; watching Soojin walk away.

Now, another setting materialized before Suho’s eyes. It was a scene he was unfamiliar with. It was back at Heaven.

Kris was talking to himself, or so Suho thought. As the scene became clearly and the voices were not muffled any longer, Suho realized Kris was talking to Him.

“Look, I know it’s forbidden for angels to fall in love with humans and Suho did anyways, but can’t you bring him back somehow? Can’t you make him an angel again?” Kris pleaded. The only answer from Him was a regretful “no”.

“But, when he dies his soul will be sent to the Great Rift. That’s a fate even crueler than Hell. You can’t just let this happen,” Kris said. He was prepared to get on his knees and beg if it would improve his chances of saving his dear friend from a fate worse than Hell.

If it will please you, I shall allow Suho one wish once he passes away in the human realm. But, he may not become an angel again.

Kris contemplated for a moment, wondering if he could persuade Him in any way but soon dismissed the thought.

“Thank you.” Kris got down on one knee and bowed respectfully.

Suho felt an overwhelming wave of guilt wash over him. He hadn’t known just how much Kris care for him. He was a friend that Suho didn’t deserve. After all, he had blatantly ignored Kris’ warnings and went to the human realm. Even after that, Kris still tried to redeem his friend and help him in any way possible.

“Kris, I’m sorry. You’re an amazing angel and a great friend. Thank you so much,” Suho breathed.

Suho was blinded by a flash of light and seconds later he found himself standing by the Great Rift again. The flashbacks were over.

So, what is your wish Suho?

Suho didn’t need to think and immediately answered, “I wish that Soojin will meet someone who will love her like I do. Someone who will protect her and care for her as much as I do. A guardian angel.”

Very well. Your wish is granted. Now, you must fulfill your punishment and step into the Great Rift.

His voice echoed in Suho’s mind. Smiling softly, he stepped towards the edge and plunged downwards into the Great Rift.

Soojin, this is all I can do for you now. I hope you will be happy with him. I love you.

----

Sorry, this turned into a threeshot rather than a twoshot because the second part was getting too long. OTL

pic cr: minwho @ tumblr.com