Chapter 14 (Special Hye Mi)

Remember Me?

From Hye Mi's point of view

“Hye Mi-ah. I have some stuff to take care of here. It’ll be boring waiting with me. I don’t know how long it will take and…” Kari was asking me to leave. She didn’t want me to be here with her while she was taking care of whatever business she needed to. Not wanting to make her uncomfortable, I nodded.

“Yeah that’s no problem. I’ll meet you back up here soon. I’ll just go wait in the lobby or something. Maybe I’ll roam the building. See someone else who’s famous. Let me know when to come back. Just text me.” I said calmly trying to hide my sadness. I turned around quickly to walk away but she called after me. Maybe she figured out I was upset. She went to reception and got a pen. She asked me to write down my number and told me she would call after she was done. I nodded again and this time I turned around to really walk away. I kept walking hoping that she would call me back but she didn’t.

I waited for the elevator to open knowing she was still watching. Walking into the elevator I put on a big smile before I turned around to face her. I waved bye happily and she waved back looking relieved.

We had been friends for all years she was in Korea. I loved having her as my friend and then one day all of a sudden she had to leave. It crushed me. No one else really got what I was like except for her. No one liked me for who I was except for her. Yeah sure I seemed tough on the outside and I was really blunt but that was me. Not many people could really take that. I was always walking around, smiling and talking to everyone and secretly hoping that they liked who I was. 

Now I guess that Kari didn’t think that we were as close as we had been before. I wanted to spend the day together and try and get rid of all that awkwardness. Catch up and have the same fun we used to have. I hadn’t found another friend like Kari and I was excited when she came back. But she made new friends. Those guys. It irritated me that they met not a day ago and that Chanyeol guy was already making a move on her.

Suddenly as the elevator doors opened, I snapped out of my daze and looked.

“Speak of the devil” I said as Chanyeol walked in.

“What?” he asked looking at me. Then he got up real close to my face like I did the day before.

“What, what are you doing?” I asked backing away. Then he brought his hand up to my face and he pointed. Right at my face he pointed. I reached up to where he was pointing and noticed a wetness. They were tears. I was mortified; one that I had cried in public and two that this guy had caught me crying. I turned around and wiped my eyes and face making sure there was nothing else on my face before turning around. He just stood facing the doors and said nothing. He glanced down at me and as soon as I looked back his eyes darted away.

“What? What is it now?” I asked, trying my hardest to pretend that had never happened.

“Nothing it’s just that for the first time you seemed well… normal. Crying and all. I guess you do have emotions.” He looked at me and smiled. I didn’t know if he was being genuine or if he was just making fun of me but I wasn’t going to risk it.

“I have a lot of emotions. Guess which one I’m feeling right now.” I gave him my best death stare and he sighed,

“And you’re back.” He said and I was happy we were off the topic of my crying.

“Where are you going anyways? Shouldn’t you be practicing dancing and signing autographs for all those crazy fangirls?” I said rolling my eyes. Would he take the bait and divert from the topic of my crying? He looked at me, thoughfully and I really wished I could know what he was thinking. Then he just looked away and started talking again.

“If you really must know, I was going to see if Kari-shi needed any help.” He reached to push a different floor from me but I swatted his hand away before he could. “Ow. What the hell?” he was irritated and I could deal with irritation. That was an emotion I was used to.

“She doesn’t need your help. I think she can manage going and talking to the director. Anyways she wants to be alone.” The elevator which had started going back up, was going down again. I had no idea where to go now. I still had a ton of time to waste and nothing to do. I sneaked a peek at Chanyeol who didn’t do anything but said

“Do you need something? Or do you just enjoy looking at me?” I was obviously out of it and had no response. He looked at me and started laughing hysterically. This irritated me beyond reason.

“What? Why are you laughing? What is it?” I wanted to know what made him laugh so much. The doors opened and he got off. I didn’t know what floor but I followed him. He was still laughing.

“Why are you laughing? Tell me. Come on tell me.” Suddenly out of know where he reeled around and I almost crashed into him.

“Are you going to follow me into the bathroom?” He asked and I looked around and saw that we were infront of the men’s room.

“Oh… uh no” I mumbled and that just made him laugh more as he walked into the restroom. This was the most embarrassing day of my life. I really didn’t like this guy. He was so infuriating. I decided not to wait till he came out so I could humiliate myself more and ran to the elevators. I got in and went down to the lobby. There I nodded to the security officer letting him know I’d be going back up after a bit and sat down in one of the large chairs. I picked up a magazine and began flipping through the pages. How much longer would I have to wait?

 

Why do you think Chanyeol was laughing at Hye Mi?