Ordinary

Ordinary

 

People would always ask him, “She’s so ordinary and plain, what do you see in her Kris?” Every time…every single time. When they ask him that question, he would smile his beautiful smile of his and answer back, “She may be plain and ordinary to you, but to me she’s the beautiful sun rays that lights up my life. She’s as beautiful as the sun sparkling off the ocean early in the morning,” he would tell them.

 

He remembers the first time he laid his eyes on his beautiful pearl. It was shortly after he had been casted as a trainee under SM Entertainment in the year 2007. He was in the training room with other trainees who were accepted earlier than him or at the same time that he got accepted. The tv was on and the trainees, including him, were just loitering around in the room doing absolutely nothing.

 

It was a Friday afternoon and T.V. was airing the most recent episode of Music Bank. Kris was sitting there by himself with his ear buds in his ears listening to his American music. He was lost in his music while he bobbed his head along to the beat. Kris looked up from where he was sitting at and looked at the TV. Right then and there it struck him that this girl, who was singing right now, although he couldn’t hear her because he had his ear buds in his ears, was beautiful. Her smile was perfect, hair straight and long, bangs covering just her eyebrows, and her face small and proportional.

 

Kris pulled the ear buds out from his ears and watched in a trance while this beautiful girl on the TV screen sang and then moved to the side as another member came up and sing. His eyes followed her every move. After the performance was over, he got up and paced around the room, pondering on who that beautiful person who he just saw was.

 

“That’s So Nyeo Shi Dae sunbaenims, they debuted not too long ago,” one of the girl trainees whispered to her friend. Kris spun around quickly and walked up to the two, “Who were they?” he asked.

 

The girl who had just talked looked at Kris before answering, “So Nyeo Shi Dae, they’re the newest group that this company debuted,” she told him.

 

“Do…do you by chance know who that girl was?” he asked her again. This time the girl tilted her head slightly to the side with a confused expression, “Who? I mean there are 9 members,” she said.

 

“The girl with long black hair and bangs covering her eyebrows,” he described the girl who he just saw on TV. The girl smiled, “Ah~ you’re talking about Seo Juhyun sunbae,” she told Kris while pointing at him, “but she goes by Seohyun as her stage name.”

 

Kris nodded, “Thanks,” he thanked the girl trainee and went back to his original spot.

 

Yes, that was the first time that Kris saw Seo Juhyun also known as Seohyun. The first time that he had laid his eyes on Seohyun, he had fallen deeply in love.

 

 

 

In 2008, he watched as Seohyun and her fellow group mates went through this thing called ‘black ocean’ created from a team of fanclubs. Kris sat there in front of the computer screen watching fancams of a fangirl holding up a sign asking for fans to turn off their glow stick while SNSD performed on stage. He clenched his fist and slammed the table, “What’s the matter Kris?” one of the Korean male trainee asked him.

 

Kris got up from his seat and shook his head, “Nothing,” he replied back and hit the ‘x’ button on the internet browser before leaving the room to get some fresh air. Why was he so mad? He didn’t know SNSD sunbaenims that well, especially Seo Juhyun. He had never met them before in his entire life being a trainee at SM Entertainment. Sure they were under the same entertainment but Kris never had the chance to cross paths with SNSD sunbaenims at the main office. He walked out into the fresh cool night air and decided to take a walk in order to clear his thoughts.

 

 

 

“Gee gee gee gee baby baby,” one of the girl trainee sang while she did the crab dance. Kris looked up at her and frowned, “What are you dancing to?” he asked her. She stopped, “So Nyeo Shi Dae sunbaenims newest song, Gee,” she said proudly before continuing.

 

Kris pushed himself off of the sofa, “They came out with a new song?”

 

The girl looked at him with a ‘no sherlock’ expression, “Duh,” she replied, “now quit bugging me, I’m practicing,” she said and continued. Kris got off the sofa and headed to the door. Just as he was about to open it, the door opened and Lay stood in front of him with sleepy eyes, “Lay?”

 

Lay looked up, “Where are you going?” he asked and then yawned, “Gosh damn am I tired,” he commented and walked into the room and plopped down on the sofa. Kris looked at Lay before telling him that he was going go out for awhile. Kris had to see their newest MV Gee, how could he had not know that they came out with a new song. Kris entered the elevator and hit 2nd floor and waited. The elevator stopped at the 4th floor and the door opened. He looked up and his heart stopped immediately. He couldn’t believe who was standing before him. Not a few feet away from him was Seo Juhyun the girl who he had fallen for, for such a long time now. Along with Seohyun was her fellow group mates Sooyoung, Jessica, and Hyoyeon. They saw Kris, bowed at him, and then entered.


Kris moved towards one of the corners and allowed his sunbaes to enter. “What floor Seohyun ah?” Sooyoung asked the younger one. “1st floor, manager oppa is waiting for us,” she told her unnie. Kris stood at the back observing her from up close. He couldn’t believe how beautiful she was in person. It’s true when people said that SNSD sunbaenims are prettier in real life and that tv shows do them no justice at all. Seo Juhyun is a porcelain doll walking. Everything about her, from the top of her head to her eyes then to the tip of her nose down was perfect. The way Seohyun presented herself was so damn graceful that Kris wouldn’t mind falling to her feet.

 

Seohyun turned her slightly the side and noticed Kris’s stare. She turned to look at him, smiled with her small lips, and then nodded. Kris felt like her smile punctured his heart, he smiled back and bowed as well.

 

“New trainee?’ she asked Kris. Kris looked around and pointed to himself to which she let out a small chuckle which were music to Kris’s ears. He cleared his throat and nodded, “Y…yeah,” he stuttered to answer her. The elevator stopped on the 2nd floor and the door opened, “Ah, my stop,” Kris said. The girls moved aside for Kris to leave. Kris stepped outside but was stopped as a voice called for him, “Hey,” Seohyun called from the other side. Kris spun around to face her. Seohyun smiled, “Good luck with your training,” she told him before the elevator door slide closed.

 

Kris was stun, he couldn’t believe it. He didn’t know what to do or say. His legs wouldn’t move on him. Did the girl who he held a crush for just wished him ‘good luck’? Kris shook his head wildly before taking off towards his destination.

 

 

 

After that incident, Kris didn’t get the chance to meet Seo Juhyun anymore. The only time he saw her was from the TV or computer screen. Why? It was because after their hit song GEE, SNSD sunbaes popularity soared in Korea. Hence, SNSD sunbaes weren’t able to make it to the main office to greet the trainees. The only time they came back to the main office was late at night after Kris had gone home from a long day of training.

 

It was the year 2010. Kris had gotten a notice from the higher ups that he will be debuting in a group called ‘EXO’. This group EXO isn’t going to be like the other SM groups. Instead, EXO will be split in twos, EXO-M and EXO-K. EXO-M which Kris is a part of, will be promoting in China while EXO-K promotes in Korea. While both groups are promoting in different countries, they will be singing and promoting the same song. A new business tactic that SM’s CEO Kim Young Min had come up with.

 

 

 

“You’ll be recording today,” Kris’s soon to be manager told him while he flipped through some pages, “it’s to start showing your face to the public, business strategy,” he told Kris.

 

Kris stood there and nodded, “When do I start recording?” he asked. The elderly Korean man looked up and smiled, “Eager aren’t you?” he said, “but that’s good.” The elderly Korean man stood up in his chair, “You’ll start recording this afternoon,” he told Kris, “I’ll come back later to pick you up.” And with that the elderly Korean man left. Kris didn’t know what kind of recording he’ll be doing later on today.

 

Later on in the afternoon, like his soon to be manager had promised him, he came by to pick up Kris and the both of them headed towards the recording area. Kris walked into the recording studio with the elderly Korean man by his side. The both of them walked up to another elderly Korean man. They talked for awhile before one of the lady escorted Kris to a makeup room. There she fixed his hair and applied on light makeup. She then went to the back room and pulled out a suit from the racket and handed it to him, “Here you go dear, go get change,” she told him. Kris accepted the suit from the lady and left to the dressing room. Still, Kris didn’t know what he will be recording for.

 

After dressing up, the lady escorted him to the recording stage area and then he was told from the elder Korean man whom people call “PD” to go and sit on the red chair. Kris was instructed to be in a deep trance/thought. Kris shut his eyes and allowed his thoughts to flow freely. He thought about how he got into SM and many more until suddenly Seo Juhyun’s face popped up in his mind. It shocked him a bit, but he used this to his advantage.

 

“And cut!” the pd yelled. Kris opened his eyes hoping that he did well. The PD walked up to Kris and put a hand on his shoulder, “I heard that you’re one of the many boy trainee that will be debuting soon in 2012,” he asked Kris and Kris nodded. The PD smiled, “You’re going to do just fine,” he complimented before taking off stage.

 

After the sofa recording, Kris was instructed to walk and run while looking behind him as fogs passed him by. He had to put up an image of looking for someone. Kris did as he was told, exactly as he was told. After the recording, Kris was sitting on one of the chairs while he waited. Just as he was at the brim of being bored, his soon to be manager called for him, “Kris!” Kris looked at his soon to be manager who was motioning for him. Kris got up from his seat and made his way up to the elderly Korean man.

 

“Kris, I would like you to meet SNSD,” he told Kris, “they’re your sunbaes,” he added. Kris glanced at them quickly and bowed then got up. As he got up and laid his eyes upon the four girls standing in front of him, his eyes fell onto one certain one. There she was again. This time her hair was in a bun and she had on a beautiful elegant dress that completed her image.

 

“I’m…I’m Kris,” he introduced himself to them.

 

“Hm? Kris? Ah you’re that one trainee that will be debuting soon,” Sooyoung, the tallest member, said. Kris laughed and nodded, “Yeah,” he said. Seohyun walked up to Kris and leaned in to which he leaned back, “I see that you’ve trained hard enough,” she said with a smile. Kris blushed and nodded, “Uh…yeah I did,” he answered.

 

“Okay girls get back on the set,” their manager told them.

 

“I’ll be supporting you,” she told him and left with the others.

 

2011 was the year that he got the chance to see her again and boy was he happy.

 

 

 

In 2012 he debuted in EXO as a part of EXO-M. It was after their showcase in Seoul and the boys were in their apartment celebrating the success of the showcase. Kris’s phone buzzed in his pant’s pocket. He pulled it out and smiled once he saw who it was. He flipped the phone open and placed it against his ear, “Hey,” he greeted.

 

“Oppa,” Seohyun called from the other side, “congratulations to your guys’ showcase, I saw it on the news.”

 

“Ah thank you Seohyun ah,” he said.

 

“Sorry that I wasn’t able to make it,” she apologized. Kris chuckled and shook his head, “It’s okay, you just owe me one next time,” he .

 

“Hm~” Seohyun cutely whined, “that’s no fair oppa.”

 

Kris looked up to see his fellow group mates eyeing him. He got up from where he was sitting at and left to his room.

 

“He’s so in love,” Suho commented loudly for Kris to hear.

 

“Are you going to come visit me?” Kris asked once he reached his room.

 

“Mm…sorry I can’t,” Seohyun apologized, “we’re still in the midst of recording our newest song Twinkle.”

 

“Oh that’s right,” he slightly smacked himself on the forehead, “I forgot you guys are coming back.”

 

Seohyun chuckled, “Don’t stress so much over it oppa. I heard that you guys will be leaving to China in two days?”

 

“Yeah,” Kris breathed through the phone.

 

“Well then have a safe flight to China and remember…”

 

“Always to fasten my seatbelts on the airplane,” he finished her sentence for her. Seohyun chuckled, “Yes.”

 

 

 

EXO-M had went to China to promote and are now back in Korea for the time being.

 

“Hey Kris look,” Chen said excitedly and ran up to him with his iphone in hand. He clicked play and TTS’s twinkle mv started to play. Kris grabbed the phone from Chen’s hand, “EH!” Chen shouted. Chen shot his hand out to snatch the phone away but Kris blocked Chen from getting access.

 

“That’s…my…phone,” Chen struggled to get his phone back. “Okay okay, I won’t but just let me watch too,” the short haired man stated. Kris looked at him and then agreed. Both men sat on the sofa watching the music video of TaeTiSeo.

 

“So tell me Kris,” Chen began, “she looks very ordinary and plain to me, but to you…what do you find in her? Something I can’t seem to see.” Chen said.

 

Kris looked at Chen and smiled, “Of course you’ll never be able to see what I see in her but to me, she’s the beautiful sun rays that shine brightly into my life. She’s the beautiful sparkles that sparkle off the ocean when the sun is high above the beautiful blue clouds.”

 

Chen looked at Kris for a good minute or two not saying a word, “You’re so poetic,” he commented before snatching the phone from Kris’s hands and leaving the Chinese boy there alone. Kris leaned back onto the sofa and smiled, “Ordinary my , tch.”