Loss. Family

Sleepwalking

Jongin stuck the gasoline pump into the fuel tank, resting his right leg at the side of the blue Hyundai. A dull tapping sound made him peer up from under his dirty grey cap. The little rascal looking about 6 years old was pounding his small palms on the window, trying to get his attention.

Jongin gave him a slight smirk and lowered his head again.

 

He's not much of a kid's lover. They gave him headaches. The last girl he had loves children. Too bad he wasn't planning to be the father, or any other person's father for that matter. They broke up after she found him in bed with a fling after a drunken night. Jongin decided that's for the best anyway. He was not one to give people hopes. Especially when he didn't expect any from himself either.

The Hyundai's owner came out from the gasoline's mart. Excited shrieks displaced the relentless tapping as the little boy watched his father walking back with a candy bar in hand.

Jongin ejected the pump when a beeping drone went off, indicating the tank was full. He bowed half-heartedly as the car drove off.

 

He wondered what the father and son were doing here at the suburbs this early hour. Just the two of them. No mom.

 

He didn't have a mom himself. 

They told him she left him in the orphanage when he was young because she couldn't afford him. Contrary to what other people think, he didn't hate her. How can he hate someone he didn't have any memories of in the first place? 

Then why did she have him when she couldn't afford it in the first place?

Maybe his mom was a just like himself. He sniggered silently to himself. How pathetic.

He was dying for a smoke. But the last time his supervisor found him smoking outside the washroom, he was given hell.

Jongin had winced when the hand hit him. He didn't retaliate like he used to because the last job he had was 5 months ago. He needed this. So he bit his lower lip and endured. It's not like he wanted to blow up the gas station. The supervisor was making too much fuss. The cute cashier had stepped in and negotiated with the supervisor, giving him a wink as they left.

 

Jongin had an effect on girls and he knew it. He's relatively good looking, with broody eyes, bronze skin and a lean body to match, that sometimes ended up with him getting more than just loose change and phone numbers with cashiers like her.

She was working on the dawn shift with him today. Maybe he would go inside the mart and see whether she could cover him for a while whilst he sneaked a smoke. Or maybe she could sneak out with him. Jongin smiled as he adjusted his cap and entered the mart.

 

____________________

 

Thanks for the subscription peeps! Do keep the comments coming! I was spazzing over Kyungsoo's live singing last night so wasn't able to update~ Look, this voice is perfection~~~