The Trackers

Sleepwalking

Joonmyun was sleeping at the mahagony table with his head over one arm in front of the laptop. Thick case files strewn carelessly beside him in the living room. 

The job was hard. And Joonmyun had been working equally studiously the past few nights. He said he's got some lead. 

Sehun, his partner in case, had crashed at their place a few times during the month and it was common for Kyungsoo to wake up to two men knocked out at different spots of the living room in the morning. Kyungsoo was following another case but helped them out occasionally. His own partner, Baekhyun, lived only a few blocks away, so rarely did he lodge here in the mini three room apartment. 

Treading carefully across the room so as not to wake him, Kyungsoo picked up one of the files and flipped it open.

The subject in this case was a young male, 20 years old. He had dark bangs that almost covered his eyes, looking strangely foreboding in the photo. The client was a 41 year old female. He was the result of an unwanted marriage and she had given him up at the orphanage when he was born. 21 years later, after yet another unhappy marriage, she wanted to find him. 

So she had engaged their service. 

The Trackers.

That's what others called them. The four of them had set up a website during their high school days performing freelance odd-jobs ranging from queuing for hard to get tickets to helping people with their love confessions. It was fun and they were so good at it that one year down the road, the word spread and their small business had since enjoyed a steady stream of customers from all ages.

During one particular project, a 45 year old widow asked them for help to track down a guy she met in high school. They found out his wherabouts, but she never got to meet him. The widow died a day before they found the subject, after a year long battle with cancer. Joonmyun and Kyungsoo were the ones in charge of the case then. Kyungsoo remembered the look in Joonmyun's eyes when they met the man to pass him the lady's violin. The man didn't quite recall the name at first. Then Kyungsoo played a short piece of "Canon", the same tune that brought them together that day in the music room. The man wore an unreadable expression.

When Kyungsoo stopped playing, the man's voice was trembling: "I hated her."

 

And then he cried. They have never quite seen a grown man cry like that. His mourning tore through the morning stillness in the park, his face buried in his weathered hands. And when he finally caught himself and managed to talk, 

"I hated her for leaving me like that. We were so in love, but she never explained why..."

 

The widow had specifically requested the exchange to be simple- Pass him the violin and say: "I'm sorry." But after Joonmyun gave him the violin and repeated the message, he did something that wasn't in the protocol- He hugged the bereaved man.

It was the first time Kyungsoo saw Joonmyun showing any personal emotions for a case. Ever since, Joonmyun re-adjusted their company's mission:

 

We will track the person you love and perform a specific task you requested.

Since their roots were based in high school, they still received many projects from teenagers with their sweet confessions. But once in a while, there's these cases where Joonmyun and the team would spend half a year to a year on like a fifth wheel. Sometimes clients gave up half way. The project costs were calculated on a monthly basis according to what the team had done to find the subject. The final sum was paid when the subject was found and they performed the specific task required.

 

Joonmyun had been following this current case for 9 months. It was difficult because the orphanage housing the boy had closed down several years ago and the only existing records were destroyed in a fire months before it closed.

A breakthrough ensued when the lady's aunt revealed she had been sending the boy some money before he left the orphanage at the age of 14. Joonmyun had been foraging documents and shuttling between places with Sehun weeks following that.

A further lead arose when they got a tip-off from the boy's previous manager, who hired him 6 years ago at a family restaurant. Judging from previous experiences, Joonmyun's extensive contacts and persistence was definitely paying off to a bigger lead ahead.

Kyungsoo's own case was comparatively easy, technically. All he had to do was help find this guy his best friend from elementary school and the search so far had been promising. 

 

The only fallback to the case was, his client's best friend shows a striking resemblance to his own first love in high school. 

 

__________________

So peeps, how's the read so far? Heh heh~~ I wanted to try out the "you" tag where you get to be in the story personally, so yeah, this is that story~ 

Honestly, I was juggling between whether to contd this story as a one-shot sequel to "Eleven", or an entirely different story. I settled on the second one~ hahah~~ 

 

 

photo credit: tumblr, heysenia