Forever at the Park

Forever at the Park

 

 

 

    Laughter filled the air. I looked up and watched three children play tag, screaming and squealing with joy. Frisbees and balls were flying through the air, dogs ran around playing fetch, families sat on the grass enjoying day.
        The park, full of life and memories I had; my escape place, but that day, it was my doom.
        The sun was in the middle of the sky of what seemed to be a hot summer day. I just sat and swayed on the swing, lost in my own thoughts, perhaps lost forever.
        From the corner of my eye, I saw a figure heading towards my way. I turned, and stared, surprised to see Minho seat himself on the swing next to me. He didn't look my way or acknowledge me but instead, stared at the ground, distraught in his own thoughts. I can see words form as he bit his lip.
        He took a few deep breathes before he opened his mouth and said, "Haven't  been here for awhile. Even though we would go here all the time since we were five..." his voice trailed off, he continued to stare at the ground. I remained silent.
        "Wow, ten years ago. It really. How time goes by so quickly. How people grow farther apart and before you know it, they can't come back..." his voice choked off, but he quickly composed himself.
        "Hah," he chuckled half heartedly, "I remember when we met. I came up to you and asked if you were an angel," a smile curled at the corner of his mouth,
        "You said, 'no' with biggest smile on your face. You glowed even more then when I first saw you." his smile slowly disappeared.
        "But I haven't seen your smile for a long time." he sighed. My eyes scanned his face, bags below his eyes, I couldn't help but notice how gaunt he looked. Life seemed to find its way out from him, leaving behind a rotting body.
        "I love you. I always have. But now you're not here. And no matter what I do, you never will be!" his voiced raised and his mouth quivered. He bit his lip hard to keep from frowning. But still, a tear, a painful tear slipped its way down his cheek.
        I wanted to speak. I wanted to hold him. I wanted to tell him everything was alright. But I knew, no matter what I did, none of it would make a difference.
        So I sat and watched the dreadful tear crawl its way to his jaw. The once strong, confident face was crumbling before my eyes.
        He slowly opened his mouth, "Why. I just don't understand why it had to happen. Was it all fate? Could it have been changed?" His body quaked. I waited for him to say more, but with a deep sigh, he spoke his last word, "Goodbye." his face hardened as he got up, and began to walk away.
        "Goodbye, Minho" I whispered to myself. I blew a kiss at his direction. He turned around, facing toward me again, and touched the side of his cheek. But still, he stared right pass me and began to walk away.
        That was the last time I saw Minho. I sat on that swing and wondered through the park, watching the trees grow taller, children coming and going, seasons changing. I watched the world transform around me, while I stayed exactly the same; never heard, never seen, never felt. Forever I stayed at the park.