CHAPTER 43: COSTUME

My Amnesia Guy

 

 

 

====================================================

 

 

 

 

L.joe walked at the street and noticed a children’s party being set up. *Ahh. So that was why it’s so noisy.* He thought as he shook his head. He has always hated noisy things. Maeri is the only exception. Eventhough she was someone who’s very talkative, he doesn’t mind. He even liked it whenever she talks.

 

“I wonder if her voice is still the same as before.” He wondered with a small smile.

 

When he remembered everything, he regretted everything. He regretted taking her for granted. He hated himself for being so stupid to believe what Krystal says. Maeri was with him all the time. Whether it be when he’s in coma or when he’s already awake. She was always right by his side. Making sure that he was okay.

 

But him? He didn’t even pay attention to her. He never did.

 

L.joe stopped at the house right next to where the children’s party is taking place. He stared at the piece of paper he was holding and turned to the house in front of him.

 

“This must be it.” He mumbled to himself as he folded the paper and kept it in his pocket.

 

He was standing in front of where Maeri was staying in Cheongju. In just a week he was able to know where she was staying because he contacted the school where she transferred, Gwangjun University and then he asked for her address and contact details. That’s how he knew where she was.

 

But now that he’s there, he found himself unable to do anything.

 

L.joe bit his lower lip as he blinked. *What would I do if Maeri suddenly comes out?*

 

And that’s when he finally realized that he hadn’t planned anything yet. He doesn’t have anything to give her. No flowers. No chocolates.  He didn’t bring anything other than himself. He didn’t even know what to say first.* Should he say he’s sorry or loves her? What if she refuse to listen to me? What if she suddenly cries? What would I do?* He thought in confusion.

 

Seeing Maeri cry was the last thing he wanted to see.

 

“Should I go home and think this through first?” He mumbled to himself. Then he shook his head. “Ahhh. No. I’m already here. I’ll meet her no matter what.” He made up his mind as he nodded and breathed deeply.

 

L.joe was going to press the doorbell but he saw Maeri walk by through the window.

 

He stopped himself from pressing the damn doorbell and bit his lip. He immediately his himself behind a nearby truck. L.joe didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t prepared to see her even after a few months. He wants to see her but he can’t. Now, he doesn’t know if he will still show himself to her. He was panicking. His heart couldn’t even feel at ease.

 

Yes. The great and always cool, calm and collected Lee Byunghun was REALLY panicking because of Maeri.

 

He peeked at Maeri’s window. *She was gone.*

 

*Why am I even hiding in the first place? I came here to see her. To apologize. To tell her that I love her and I want her back. Why am I being a coward and hiding behind this truck?* L.joe thought with a frown.

 

Immediately, he stood up. *I’ll do what I have to do. I’ll press the doorbell, wait for her to go outside and we’ll talk. As simple as that. You can do this L.joe.* He thought as he cheered his self with a small nod.

 

He was about to walk towards her house but he felt someone grab him by the arm. L.joe looked back and saw a man in his mid 40’s.

 

*Who’s this?* He thought as he stared at the guy. “Why? What’s wrong?” L.joe asked politely.

 

“You’re the one supposed to wear the mascot costume right? Why are you late? The party is going to start in a few minutes. Hurry and put this on.” The man said as he gave L.joe a box containing his costume.

 

L.joe’s eyes rounded as he pointed to himself. “Me?! I’m going to wear a costume?”

 

“Yes. Now go and wear it. The birthday celebrant is waiting for you.” The man nodded and pushed him towards the truck so that he could change his clothes.

 

L.joe immediately shook his head as he tried to explain. “Ahjusshi, I’m not a part----“

 

“HURRY!” The man shouted.

 

L.joe was taken aback. He knew it was useless to explain because he wouldn’t listen. All he can do is sigh as he went inside the truck to change his clothes.

 

 

 

 

 

*How did this happen to me?* L.joe thought with a pout as he slowly walked out of the truck wearing the costume. He never thought he’d be wearing a costume like this. A Pororo costume.

 

But now that he remembers everything, before his accident happened, on the day that he’s supposed to confess to Maeri, he contacted a mascot and hired Pororo because that’s what Maeri likes.

 

“If the accident didn’t happen, everything would be much better. I wouldn’t forget Maeri and she wouldn’t hate me.” L.joe mumbled to himself sadly.

 

Suddenly, the Ahjusshi appeared in front of him and pulled him to the children’s party wherein he danced and played with the kids that he doesn’t even know. *Great. Just great.* He sarcastically thought as he just let the kids gather around him.

 

Few minutes later,

 

“Pororo!” The birthday celebrant called out as he hugged L.joe from the back.

L.joe was getting annoyed. It was really hard playing with the kids. The costume is hot and itchy. And this kid is clinging onto him.  L.joe sighed in irritation. “WHAT?”  He grumbled angrily. Good thing his voice isn’t so clear so the kid wasn’t afraid.

 

“I’ll introduce you to my friend.” The boy said cheerfully.

 

*Friend? What now? Another kid? No way.* He thought as he looked back.

 

L.joe froze in his own spot as he stared at the kid’s so-called ‘friend’

 

 

It was Maeri.

 

 

It was the Maeri he fell in love with. The Maeri that he pushed away several months ago. And it was the Maeri that he was looking for now.

 

Maeri stood there just a few inches from him. She was smiling widely. “Pororo-ssi, Annyeong!” She waved.

 

L.joe did nothing but to stare at her face. It’s been so long since he last saw her and what he wants to do right now is just hug her. But he knew that he couldn’t. So he just examined her.

 

*Her face got smaller. And she looked thinner. Did she lose weight? Is she even eating?* He thought with a frown.

 

Suddenly, the kid hit him in his stomach. “Maeri-noona is talking to you! You should answer.” he pouted.

 

*Aish this kid.* L.joe thought with gritted teeth. He looked at Maeri and bowed. “Annyeonghaseyo.” He said in a small voice. He was scared that she might recognize his voice so he made his voice smaller.

 

Maeri smiled. “I’m a fan of Pororo. Can I hug you?” She asked him.

 

After hearing those words from her, in no time, L.joe quickly hugged her. *I missed you so much.* L.joe thought as he hugged her so tight that he doesn’t even want to let her go. If he could stop the time now, he would. He would do anything just to make this very moment last longer.

 

Suddenly,

 

“Yah. Pororo, Stop it.” A familiar voice mumbled. That’s when he felt Maeri pulling away from the hug. And he saw Myungsoo beside her, holding her arm.

 

L.joe’s brows furrowed as he gripped at his hand. *This jerk.*

 

Myungsoo turned to the kid. “Kyungjin-ah, Maeri noona and I are going because we have classes to attend right now. Okay?” He asked as he playfully ruffled the kid’s fringe.

 

The little boy nodded obediently. “Take care of Maeri noona!” He grinned.

 

Myungsoo smirked. “You didn’t have to say it.” He said as he took Maeri away without saying another word.

 

L.joe stood there as he watched Myungsoo walking away with Maeri. His heart breaking was into two. He couldn’t stand seeing Maeri with another guy other than him. But no matter what he does, no matter how hard he tried to look away, he couldn’t. It was as if his eyes were glued onto them. He was there watching them like an idiot eventhough he knew he’d be hurt in the end.

 

He watched them interact. He should be in Myungsoo’s place. He should be the one having fun with Maeri. Myungsoo talked to her casually. And Maeri was smiling and laughing. She looked so happy. *No way. Are they.. in a ..relationship?*

 

L.joe wanted to run towards them and grab Maeri.  He wants to take her away from that guy. He wants to put her in a place where no person named Kim Myungsoo exists.  

 

 

But he can’t do that.

 

“Let’s all take a picture with Pororo!” The kids exclaimed as they gathered around him. L.joe doesn’t even care. Since there were so many kids who flocked around him, he was being pushed and squished. Some even clung on his arms. “Hey.. kids! Stop!” He tried to calm them down but it doesn’t work. The kids were completely blinded by Pororo’s charm.

 

A loud thud was heard.  L.joe was out balanced and he fell on the ground, his head mask came off. “Aish.” He mumbled as he looked up. Good thing Maeri already left. L.joe heaved out a sigh of relief as he sat on the ground.

 

L.joe picked up the head mask and stared at it. *She didn’t see that under this Pororo costume that she really likes is the man which she really hates.*

 

==================================================

 

2