E l e v e n t h A n t e r o o m: Because You Don't Get To Chose What Stays And What Fades Away

The House Behind The Magnolias
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Here.

What’s the definition for this word?

Here.

Where exactly?

Here.

Now exactly?

Here.

Did you read my mind?

“You’re really stupid sometimes, did you know that?”

And once again, useless words…

“You could have called me anytime, you know? Anytime and anywhere. And I would have come. You know that, right?”

I nodded still in his arms. But did I really knew that? And if yes, why didn’t I trust his name? Why didn’t I called him outside the mute words that were trapped inside my head?

A cold chill went down my spine. Maybe a goose just stepped on my grave…stupid superstition! The spectrum was still there, watching quietly from the shadow of my bed. The arms around me tightened and his breath was warmer. It was like he was infusing life through my scared veins.

“Come,”he stood, grabbing my hand. “There’s one place where I have to take you,”he pulled me after him into the shadow of an unseen object. The void that embraced me, swept off my feet. The heat that I was expecting was no where to be found. Instead, a sweet smell made me smile. Lillies…

“What’s this, Seung Ho?”my voice came back as we were surrounded by light. Light from everywhere. Light clothing us. Light connecting us. Light protecting us.

“This is Heaven. Or at least, the Gates of Heaven,”I heard his voice with a tiny hint of sadness.

“B-but…”

“Today is a special day,”he interrupted my stuttering. “Today is the only day when I can actually come this close to my previous home. God allowes me to come here only to make me regret my falling…You see, this is the only moment of pure silence in my mind. The other ones are full of plots and hatred. There’s really no rest for the fallen one.” His soft voice was carried away by the wind that as passing by us, caressing my face and making me dream of childhood places and smiles. “Once every 10 years, there’s a day like this one that has the exact oposite effect:I can’t leave Hell and I fall inside the dark void where I’m trapped with my own thoughts. That’s the real Hell for me,”he continued. “But today, Eun Rim I had to bring you here. I think this will be my last good deed.”

“I don’t understand, Seung Ho,”I frowned, trying to identify him through the mass of light.

“You’ll meet someone here. Someone is here to see you and to say something to you. I’ll come back after you,”his voice was fading away.

“Wait!”I called, trying to catch his dying presence with my fingers.

“I promise…”

And with that last whisper, he dissapeared. I sighed. Stupid demon! Unaffected by Heaven you say?

“What’s so great about going in there?”I mumbled, looking straight towards the place where the light was brighter.

“What’s great about that place, is that I can watch over you from there,”someone giggled close-by.

“Eun Min…”

From the light, a pale figure started appearing in front of me. At first the lines could just be guessed, but then she became more real. It became touchable…My sister. My own projection at the gates of Heaven. Smiling, she gently my hair. The angel was touching the devil without getting burned…

“Eun Rim, I missed you so much,”her voice was softer and sweeter than I remembered. “Dear sister…”

I pulled back from her hypnosis. “Why are you here, Eun Min? What do you want from me?”

She looked at me with strange eyes. With sad eyes and some mixed feelings in there… “It’s time for you to know one part of your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter