Lullaby

Lullaby

 

Tears streamed down your face like Niagara Falls. It seemed as if your life and dreams had been crushed with a hammer.

Why was this happening to you? What is the meaning of life now?

“WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!!!” You screamed at the top of your lungs. You didn’t care that you were in a tiny apartment and all your neighbors could hear you screaming.

It seemed as if everything that could go wrong….did. Your life was officially a disaster.

As you were yelling, screaming, and breaking things, the sound of a light knock entered your ears. But you did not feel like opening the door. You wanted to stay in your house….away from people.

The knock was heard again, a little louder this time. For some strange reason, you felt like you should open the door. Something told you it was okay to let in the person standing out there. But instead you leaned against the wall and continued crying. You had finally let out all your anger by breaking things.

The knocking continued.

You mustered the strength to walk to the door, but still rested your hand on the wall for support. Your hands were shaking as you grasped the doorknob and slowly turned it, revealing the identity of the person who knocked. It was Lay. He was your next door neighbor and one of your closest friends. You felt kind of happy to see him standing there.

“Lay?” You mumbled.

“Is everything alright _____?”

You were silent. You didn’t want to tell him all your problems, so you lied and said, “Yeah.”

“I heard screaming and was worried about you.”

“I’m fine,” you said as teardrops traveled down your face.

Lay came inside and quietly shut the door behind him. He took you in his warm arms and caressed your messy hair. Suddenly everything felt better. Just with this one touch, you felt your spirits lift and your tears stop. You felt safe in his arms and could feel his heart beating, it was calming to you. He cautiously released you and looked into your swollen eyes. Mascara was running down your worn out face.

Lay took your hand and guided you to the bathroom down the hall. There was broken glass, vases, frames, and such, scattered all about the apartment floors. Lay pulled out a tissue from a blue box on the bathroom counter. He softly wiped away the mascara and tears. It felt as if he was wiping away your worries and sadness.

Lay looked at you lovingly then lifted you off your feet. He was carrying you with his strong arms. Your eyes were closing in tranquility. He carefully put your body on your bed. Lay fixed the pillows and covered you with the white comforter. You were really glad you opened that door now.   

“Don’t worry _____. Don’t cry anymore. I will always protect you.”

You stared into his sparkling eyes and felt a wave of peace and protection. You listened to him speak so softly and soothingly. Lay’s voice is as sweet as sugar.

He pushed back the hair that fell on your face and gave you the most heartwarming smile. You saw his milky white hands grasp the guitar on the corner of the bed.

“Everything’s alright _____. Just close your eyes and listen to the lullaby. Forget about everything else. Nothing will hurt you now.”

Lay began singing and you felt like you were floating on clouds. Your eyes shut in satisfaction as his calming voice delighted your ears and words made you feel all better.  Lay wasn’t lying…..everything was alright.